Author Topic: GTA V Steam edition reported as virus - BRAVO!!  (Read 9274 times)

REDACTED

GTA V Steam edition reported as virus - BRAVO!!
« on: April 20, 2015, 11:59:40 PM »

There is no excuse for such fails. You should have a list of heavily used programs... like Steam and other "launchers" and AAA games and when you silly antivirus detects a crap on them before deletes/move to chests (action that cannot be undone by any means because your program is imbecile and those options you see in the screenshot do squat) call the frack home and ask for a second opinion before annoy the user and make him lose trust in your software.

Officially for me Avast is ready for replacement. I don't trust this software anymore.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: GTA V Steam edition reported as virus - BRAVO!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 12:09:56 AM »
It is not detected as a virus but as Susp(icous).
Those are two different things.

Cannot be undone?
It sure can.
You can restore it from the chest and if you want add a exclusion for the file.

So you are perfect and never make mistakes?

You can replace avast for another av, but every av has false positives.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:59:35 AM »
I support anon. This is ridiculous. I thought it was a joke when this happened. Not sure as to why, as I was on all day yesterday and the day before. Now i have to go dig for the file(s) it moved to this unfindable chest. Thanks Avast! Really a good way to start the night after work and school. BRAVOOOO!!!!!!

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 06:44:01 AM »
It is bad because not all users are reporting to avast about this.

An average user would think their system has virus on it.

I think avast should do a software test before releasing update.

Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 07:19:55 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 01:33:09 PM »
It is bad because not all users are reporting to avast about this.
Only one person reporting it is enough for avast to have a look at it and when needed change things. Often it is solved in the first coming streaming update.
I think avast should do a software test before releasing update.
And how do you think to test over 100.000's new/changed software every day ? Hiring 10.000's of people to do so ? Fine, are you gonna pay them ?
Now i have to go dig for the file(s) it moved to this unfindable chest.
Unfindable ? So you can find out how to play a game, what keys do what etc. Guess what, avast is not different when it comes to this. If you want to use software, learn how to use it, what options/settings it has, what they do etc.
When you open the UI you see 4 tiles. Right click on one ét voila... There is the chest listed.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »

There is no excuse for such fails. You should have a list of heavily used programs... like Steam and other "launchers" and AAA games and when you silly antivirus detects a crap on them before deletes/move to chests (action that cannot be undone by any means because your program is imbecile and those options you see in the screenshot do squat) call the frack home and ask for a second opinion before annoy the user and make him lose trust in your software.

Officially for me Avast is ready for replacement. I don't trust this software anymore.

They do have a list of heavily used apps, but they cannot magically obtain unreleased applications or games. GTA5 has just been released, so there's that.

You can exclude it and report a false positive, they are very quick at solving it and if they get more reports, they'll look in to it even faster.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
Hi all,
We did seem to have had a flase positive on a file named "GTAVLauncher.exe" (sha256 hash 09544EC78A06F418FE26CC843D8D5CA59FDE5E5550C0A72BCAD27EDC3856DBE9). The detection was released yesterday, 23:09, and disabled automatically yesterday, 23:46 (CEST). The file was reported as a false positive 68 times - which is the only reason the detection was disabled this soon. If it were not for those who clicked "Report the file as a false positive", it would have been detected much longer.

Unfortunatelly, I was working at that time and not launching GTA - otherwise I would have noticed and fixed the issue even a bit sooner :).

I am really sorry that this has happened, but as others pointed out - false positives do happen. C'est la vie.
Honza

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 03:36:58 PM »
Huh? That is something new. HonzaZ was working and not playing while he should be working  ? ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M9T5zwCrdc

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 03:46:20 PM »
How do you know I am in the video ;D
This video should have never leaked!