Author Topic: SpyBot updates  (Read 42865 times)

Culpeper

Re:SpyBot updates
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2003, 06:48:18 AM »
Spybot has a "/autoupdate" command line switch.  Try that.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2003, 02:17:22 AM »
Spybot has a "/autoupdate" command line switch.  Try that.

I tried but the application just 'stay' there...
Nothing occurs, only open in the Online page and stays there (in status bar is written: Program started), does not perform an automatic update for me  :'(

The application called 'Update' in the Spybot folder do nothing too (just say 'No updates available'). I tryed all mirrors available, just the answer: 'No newer updates available'.

I tried the update tool into IE (spybot sidebar) and nothing...  :'(

If there is a version of 13th November like scandisk said, everything is wrong to me  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2003, 01:55:43 AM »
latest is version 1.2 11-2-03 I too have this problem but I just download the self installing updates from the website  :)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2003, 02:08:51 AM »
latest is version 1.2 11-2-03 I too have this problem but I just download the self installing updates from the website  :)

Ok MacLover, but incremental updates are quite better than full ones.
Ad-aware from Lavasoft updates without trouble. Spybot updates are making me crazy. Nobody knows exactly what is happening  :'(

Right now, if you go to the homepage (http://www.safer-networking.org/), you will see that the last update is 2003-11-02.

techie101

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2003, 01:42:52 PM »
Technical and Mac...

Tried to update Spybot this morning.....Still says No newer updates!

Spybot support has not answered an email I sent them 2 weeks ago.

I guess we are on our own with this one.

Has anyone tried an uninstall and clean install yet????

techie

techie101

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2003, 02:39:00 PM »
Here is more info on the matter:

Spybot uses local port 80 to contact Kolla.de at 212.227.118.106
If this port is in use or blocked by other spyware apps like Spybot (uses port 80 to monitor traffic), then the incremental update will not work.

However, I shut down all my anti- this and that but still no updates.
BUT....the message changed from No newer updates to Error downloading update file.

There seems to be some connection here.
I did notice that my traffic log showed a remote attempt to connect from 212.227.118.106 using port 1174.
Since I did not realize it was Kolla, I did not allow it.  It has not attempted since.

I am getting the distinct impression that the error lies with Kolla or the updated Spybot.

The battle continues.  >:(
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 02:41:56 PM by techie101 »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2003, 11:07:06 PM »
Technical that is thae same date as i posted  ;D I just write my date month-day-year
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2003, 07:48:01 PM »
Technical,

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but I thought I throw my 42 cents worth in.   ;)

I too had noticed that SB S&D had not found any updates in quite some time.  I thought it strange since I'd heard about a few new threats that I felt certain would be promptly addressed.  I had used the program to check for updates numerous times over the course of a month or so, but it always indicated that none were available.

After reading this thread Wednesday, I tried again to get SB S&D to update itself, but it reported that no new updates were available.  I checked the web site and discovered that 2 or 3 updates had been released since the last one I'd obtained.  I also checked some other resources and discovered other complaints, with overloaded servers being blamed most of the time.   I tried to get them repeatedly, from each of the mirrors, without success over the next serveral hours.

Then I had my idea for the week.  I log on to my system, which runs Windows XP Home Edition, using a limited account about 90% of the time.  About the only time I use an adminstrator account is when I want to check for and install Windows updates, install software, or update existing programs.

Last night I decided to try to get the updates while logged on under an administrator account.  I started SB S&D and had it check for updates.  This time it quickly found, downloaded, and installed them without a hiccup.  In the past I know I've checked for updates as a restricted user, with the intention of making a mental note to download and install them later as an administrator.  I can't say for sure, but at this point I'm willing to believe that SB S&D has never found any updates when I wasn't logged on with administrative rights.

Regards,
Hornus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2003, 04:37:10 AM »
i have the problem an i am the admn of my gateway laptop.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2003, 07:07:12 PM »
Technical,
I can't say for sure, but at this point I'm willing to believe that SB S&D has never found any updates when I wasn't logged on with administrative rights.
Regards,
Hornus

Thanks Hornus, but like MacLover, I use my XP system as an administrator and SpyBot continues to fail in update  :'( As techie said, the battle continues  ::) Fortunatelly, we can use ad-aware from Lavasoft  ;D

2003-11-02 still seems the last update  :'(

techie101

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2003, 12:18:56 AM »
Ok..I am making some progress but still can't get the updates.

I uninstalled the silly thing completely including registry keys, then did a clean install.

Now, Spybot "detects" the updates but is unsuccessful in downloading them.

I see that it starts the download of updates, but when it starts to download the file check library, it fails.

Make any sense to any of you???

If I don't get this thing to update, I'll junk it and switch over to SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster.
There goes more system resources,  but at least those programs update.  (At least in my ME machine)

techie

Oh by the way, I am the only user on my machine, so I don't think the Administrator thing had much to do with it.  
Sorry Hornus.  I wish you were right.  ;)

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2003, 12:37:18 AM »
Technical,

Oh by the way, I am the only user on my machine, so I don't think the Administrator thing had much to do with it.  
Sorry Hornus.  I wish you were right.

So do I my friend, for your sake and others.  I'd hate to see you give up SB S&D, especially its new Immunize features.

I'm going to Google it a little later and see what I can find.

Regards,
Hornus

techie101

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2003, 02:26:53 AM »
Hornus,

I hope you can find something.  I am at wits end.  I have spent the last hour and a half trying just about everything I could think of.

Here is something that might help.  I ALSO have a problem with Adaware 6.181  
It tells me that there are no newer updates.  Sound familiar!

I was able to download the updates and manually put them in, but it too has an auto-update bug.

I tried the following:
Spybot:  In settings, checked Use Proxy and entered 127.0.0.1 8080
No good.
then tried entering the urls for security.kolla.de and studserver.dortmund.de
No good.

Ok..switched over to Adaware and found a proxy box there also.
Set in 127.0.0.1 and it did seem to do an update.  However, I already updated it so it showed the same number.  
I will have to keep an eye on this program.  

Has anyone else had trouble with Adaware??

Thanks for trying.  I really would hate to give up Spybot, but I can't manually update it either unless I'm doing it wrong.  The update files are supposed to be self installing.  Right?  All I did was click on them, and they unpacked, but Spybot did not show any newer date.

I'm confused.  Later.

techie

Jarron

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2003, 06:06:42 AM »
New update today (actually yesterday, considering where most people are) 24 Nov 03.

Once again SB S&D detected and downloaded with no problems.

I'm getting worried.  Everyone else is having a problem except for me.  It never happens that way, something's seriously wrong.

Jarron

P.S.  I have no idea what's going on, but if someone has an idea of what I could look for on my computer that might be different from the others I'll be glad to help (as long as it's something a relatively unknowledgable person can do).  I'm using 98SE.  I assume I'm the Administrator as I'm the only one who ever uses it (this statement should give you an idea of the extent of my knowledge).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 06:33:14 AM by Jarron »

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2003, 06:45:32 AM »
I just tried to update SB S&D, and it reported no new updates are available.  I then asked to to show me the log, which indicated that the .ini file had been downloaded, but the file's timestamp remained unchanged.  A check of the website shows that indeed one is available.

The mystery continues.

I haven't gotten to searching the Internet for more information because I have several fires in the iron right now.

Regards,
Hornus