Author Topic: Is avast Internet security causing my comp to boot up slow so suddenly? read plz  (Read 4158 times)

REDACTED

Hi I have been using avast for years and have the paid version.

however the other night I noticed there was an update where it told me to update to a new version.

and just now coming on this site I see a new version apparently as well.

well my issue is I don't know if this is causing my comp to boot up slow.

and when is I say boot up I mean loading on start up. like my desktop takes a while and everything else to load...

you see I have malwarebytes and avast all loading at once with a few other things... I tried disabling the other things like roxio disc to drag but it still boots up slow.

Literally it took me nearly 30 minutes to be able to use my comp....

I tried shutting it down with the button and restarting it nearly 10 times and I gave up thinking perhaps my comp is froze but then while waiting within around 30 minutes my comp finally works...

It's fast in regards to me being able to surf the web etc. That is not the issue....

the issue here is starting up and loading all of my stuff on my desktop and waiting for both avast and malwarebytes to say they are loaded etc.

There is no way malwarebytes is doing this which is why im not blaming that.... because my comp was FINE until I got the new avast...

What in the heck did it to cause my comp to suddenly now have to load so god damn slow that I gotta wait 30 minutes now?

Please tell me otherwise if I am wrong....

Only thing I could think of is my system battery being low could it do that? I mean I've gotten that message for nearly 2 years now when I turn my comp on and I pay no mind to it cause I figured it only messes  up the date and time...

but yeah I don't know what it could be other then the supposed avast update.

any suggestions? please let me know... thank you for any help from anyone....

REDACTED

I honestly don't know what else it could be like I said.

Cause again my comp was fine whenever I had to turn it on and load up...

It's so annoying now that I gotta wait nearly 30 minutes for me to be able to use it.

And let me say also that my icons all are showing when this happens. I am literally waiting for the avast and malwarebytes to finish loading.

Usually the malwarebytes icon comes up first but its still not fully loaded and then after a while everything is completely loaded from both malwarebytes and the avast..

And just so anyone who can help me with this, just know my comp is also a windows XP. Not sure if that matters but just saying I have a windows XP comp..

so yeah.

Sorry for the double post but I had some more stuff to add.

Again I appreciate any help that can be given. Thank you

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
XP known issue:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/817472

Use hotfix for XP only if Device Manager shows IDE set to PIO mode for C: drive instead of DMA or use the workaround.

Otherwise, are you using Malwarebytes Premium (Pro) version?

Version of avast!?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

XP known issue:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/817472

Use hotfix for XP only if Device Manager shows IDE set to PIO mode for C: drive instead of DMA or use the workaround.

Otherwise, are you using Malwarebytes Premium (Pro) version?

Version of avast!?

hi mchain and thank u for your response first off.

and what do u mean xp issue? I'm sorry but can u be more specific what is downloading whatever is from that link gonna do for my comp and how do I know if that is the issue?

And yes I have malwarebytes paid premium and my version of avast is Internet Security I pay for it every year.

So again I am not sure what has caused this as of recent. But it's weird that this all happened once I updated my avast version the other night. So I don't know unless something just suddenly went wrong with my comp which would be a coincidence then. I don't know honestly.  Anyway thank you for your help and I'd appreciate if u can continue to shed some more light regarding my issue.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
You haven't given us any information to work with ::)

What system are you using? what version number of Avast are you using? ( latest is 2015.10.2.2218 ) what version of Malwarebytes are you using? ( latest is 2.1.6.1022 )

Do you have exclusions set between Avast and Malwarebytes? if not then please do so.

After checking all that if you still have problems then perform a clean install of Avast.

Offline Endt

• Avast team
Hello,

Thank you for your bug report. Can you please generate a support package (using this tool https://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB33 - please don't forget to tick "automatically send to Avast option" and please post here the package ID)

Thank you,
B.

REDACTED

hello guys im back and I just wanna say thanks to all who have responded.

now let me tell u all what I have so far.

well so far I as of last night I defragmented my computer for the first time I ever since using it since 2011.

It took nearly a day to do.

Anyways I defragmented it and  STILL my comp took literally around 30 minutes to actually be able to be fully booted with avast and malwarebytes....

Now here is something I noticed and wanna say maybe this may help solve my reason.

My volume icon appear on the bottom right but withint 25 -30 minutes later my malwarebytes icon appears with the CCleaner Icon. It says my CCleaner is active. I have CCleaner usually loading up from start. And then finally the Avast Icon appears on bottom right.

But here is the thing both the malware bytes and the avast are not fully booted until another 5 min or so then everything is fine. However the CCleaner claims to be running active yet the malwarebytes and Avast still weren't fully complete until like 5 more min after.

In total in took nearly 30 minutes until my comp was able to be usable...

Furthermore I am starting to think maybe whatever new version this Avast was that I have downloaded maybe it just is too much now for malwarebytes and avast to both load on start up? Perhaps that is it.

And to Craig I have the current Avast version that you said in your post. However my malware bytes version seems to be different.  But my malwarebytes will always tell me when its time to update so I don't get that why we both have two different malwarebytes and plus mine is up to date as it says so yeah...

Anyway I have no clue other then to ask this final thing.

How can I go about turning off avast and malwarebytes from start up? Like I want to make it so that once my computer goes on that it won't start until I click my icons. How can I go about doing that? I think maybe cause they both are going on now at the same time since this new version of avast maybe it just doesn't mix well and causes my comp to start up slower and take 30 minutes?

So how can I go about turning both of them off. Because either way even before all this happened malwarebytes did always take a while to start up.

So I am thinking maybe I should just turn my comp on without them loading automatically and then I have to manually click them both seperately to load them. Maybe that is the solution? Please let me know if I should try this. Also is this safe to do? I mean it's not like I'll go on the web or anything until I make sure both avast and malwarebytes are running. So yeah...

Anyway please let me know guys and sorry for all of the long posting. Thanks again for everyones help.

P.S. if it helps

My current Avast Version is 2015.10.2.2218

MY Malwarebytes says program version: 2.0.4.1028
Database version: 2015.04.24.8

And both Avast and Malwarebytes say they are up to date... So yeah

Anyways thanks again guys I look forward to any further helps you folks can help with my issue. :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
@af332, you can go to the Malwarebytes website and download the current stable version rather than waiting for an update to be pushed through.

If you have CCleaner running at start then I wonder how many other programs you have starting at boot that aren't necessary :-\ CCleaner I find is better to be run before shutting down your system so that when you reboot everything is already fresh and ready to go, easily disabled from the options tab.

If you don't have a very powerful system the NG ( virtualisation ) component of Avast can be quite taxing on performance, this can be removed via the uninstall/change option in remove programs/Programs And Features.

REDACTED

Hey guys I am back I just figured how to solve all of this! :)

Apparently I turned off malwarebytes from start up and now holy crap everything loaded much faster.

So I Guess it was the malwarebytes causing this all? Well either way now I am going to manually load malwarebytes.

Anyways thanks to everyone who helped. My issue is now solved. :)

By the way @CraigB how do I download the latest version from the site what link do I go to can you show me please. Thank you again for all the help by the way CraigB.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
If you already have the paid version then click the free version link and install over the top of existing https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

As I mentioned earlier...exclusions between Avast and Malwarebytes will also help with system performance.