Author Topic: Comodo Personal Firewall  (Read 28218 times)

cyfer

Comodo Personal Firewall
« on: October 20, 2005, 04:50:05 AM »
Does Comodo's firewall have any conflict problems with Avast Web Sheld, (i.e. ZoneAlarm and Sygate, do usually). Btw, I heard that this program is free also...

http://www.personalfirewall.trustix.com/

galooma

Re: Comodo Personal Firewall
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 10:38:34 AM »
this product was only released to the market yesterday. im giving it a whirl on my spare PC for a while to see how it goes , looks good so far  ;) certainly no conflict as yet with Avast!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:19:43 AM »
For some reason, comodo.com and comodogroup.com are blocked by my hosts file as is instantssl.com and trusttoolbar.com, which all seem to be part of the same group.

As far as I can see, TrustToolBar is the reason for this blacklisting: it is classed as spyware by these sites:

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453094124

http://www.f-secure.com/sw-desc/trusttoolbar.shtml (Quoting Lavasoft.)

The main issue with the toolbar seems to be a privacy one. Not an issue you want to be concerned about when installing a firewall!?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 01:07:06 PM »
For some reason ... are blocked by my hosts file
Frank, sorry the off topic, but which application do you use (if any) for that?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 11:19:16 PM »
I use HostsMan and also sometimes Spybot's feature which adds to the hosts file. HostsMan updates from MVPS and hpHosts. The entries for comodo.com are from hpHosts:

http://www.hosts-file.net/

Mastertech

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 12:37:36 AM »
You can tell by looking at the site something is wrong. Not to mention you never heard of Comodo Firewall before. This is like anything else, wait until reputable site start recommending something before trying out unknown applications. Just use Google and search.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 01:07:58 AM »
Actually the site looks quite professional. The same company seems to make an anti-phishing toolbar which is recommended by a major PC mag site:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,25403,00.asp

Their privacy policy and issues of how the toolbar installs seemed to have created a problem for Lavasoft.

But the company seems to have a history in security software.

I think I'll stick with Kerio for the moment, though.

Mastertech

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 01:10:21 AM »
Has anyone heard of Comodo Firewall before? <- Proving my point. Like anything else wait for someone else reputable to test security software for you never be the ginnie pig.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 01:21:48 AM »
What point is that, exactly. Cloussau is a sensible adult. If he wants to be the first to test it, that's his choice. If you want to say it's better to wait, that's fine. I've said there seem to be issues over the company's privacy policy with one of their products which might warrant some further investigation. Anybody looking at this page (and others) would do well to consider your advice, but we can all make our own minds up, and decide for ourselves whose point has been proven.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 01:49:19 AM »
I use HostsMan and also sometimes Spybot's feature which adds to the hosts file.
Thanks... But, in fact, Spybot detect as hijacks a lot of Hosts Manager redirections  :-\ :'(

About the Comodo Firewall, just my opinion, but it would be better if the product gets a little mature age... tests... stability.
Nothing against it, but firewall is a very sensitive application in a system just to make tests... My -0.02  :-[

darth.mikey

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 01:51:58 AM »
I'll wait for a couple good reviews before i try it out, a firewall is such an important part of security i dare not risk anything while i already have a very good firewall(Kerio).... But i always like to try new programs i'll keep an eye out for this one ;)

galooma

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 02:11:12 AM »
Nice to see a lot of discussion going on , Can i just say that although the personal firewall is only 2 days old its obvious from the site that they are not new to the industry. Probably new to the home environment would be a better description.
Having used it for around 2 hrs yesterday im impressed so far with its feel and look.
 Im at work at present so cannot show any screenshots but in a couple of days ill make a post and put a few up for your perusal.
The first point i might make is that its free now but that might change somewhere down the track cos what you get is a free 1 year licence which has to be confirmed with activation code before you even get started.
Having said that it was very easy to get started and all the rule setting options and application permissions and blocking were openly available and needed only one granting and never (so far ) again.  :P to ZA  ,  lots of info available but i wasnt required to do much after granting all the running processes their access . Later today i will give the Sheilds up a visit and see how it fares there. :)

Mastertech

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 02:13:48 AM »
What point is that, exactly. Cloussau is a sensible adult. If he wants to be the first to test it, that's his choice. If you want to say it's better to wait, that's fine. I've said there seem to be issues over the company's privacy policy with one of their products which might warrant some further investigation. Anybody looking at this page (and others) would do well to consider your advice, but we can all make our own minds up, and decide for ourselves whose point has been proven.
What does being a sensible adult have to do with being safe and using common sense? Anyway like I was saying about the website, it looks like the one of a million infowebmercial sites. All the proof I need to not use it you provided Frank.

http://www.f-secure.com/sw-desc/trusttoolbar.shtml

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 02:21:28 AM »
Take care boys... I see criticism hidden from some comments.
As the elder here... an advice: post friendly  :)
We are all looking for safety after all  8)

galooma

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 03:04:35 AM »
important fact to consider is that i have installed comodo PF on a spare pc which holds no personal or sensitive information , was formatted only a month ago so matters very little if a hacker or rootkit or anything else happened along, i would see it as exercise rather than problem ;D ;D
I have a deep respect for your age tech but more for your wisdom. Pride can be a terrible thing. :)