Author Topic: Avast! Ads  (Read 8884 times)

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Avast! Ads
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 12:51:03 AM »
To be really honest with all of you guys. I really hate the ad for Now Avast is Free for Business being advertised for Avast Free Home Edition. Home Edition is only for home use WHY advertise for business use? These ads should be only targeted for internet security and pro version NOT for home version.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 01:08:05 AM »
WHY advertise for business use? These ads should be only targeted for internet security and pro version NOT for home version.

Well to be honest I think those in business might go online at home where they would see the pop-up.
Whereas at the office they probably won't see the pop-up.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of these pop-ups. I do recognize that avast has the right to advertise their products.
After all, I'm pretty sure the employees want a paycheck. And the stockholders want to see a profit. If enough people try a
free product they may even purchase a license which offers even more protection.

If you don't like the pop-ups upgrade to a paid product.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 01:19:25 AM »
To be really honest with all of you guys. I really hate the ad for Now Avast is Free for Business being advertised for Avast Free Home Edition.

Home Edition is only for home use WHY advertise for business use? These ads should be only targeted for internet security and pro version NOT for home version.

1. The greatest majority of people work, some might even use computers at work.

2. Avast has a new product that is Free for Business, showing it to people who might have a business that uses computers could benefit from it being free.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:21:08 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 04:25:39 AM »
In earlier version of avast! 2015 a vps sound option is on.Now days it only remain pop-up about Avast is Free for Business,Battery Saver ???.pls remove those pop-up when database update or bring back the option of avast! sound.Vps sound option is gone now days.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:28:54 AM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 02:23:28 PM »
While I understand the reason for the popups, they are increasing in frequency to the point of borderline adware behavior.

I have many free products that I have installed, and use. Some are other types of malware scanners, some are utilities, some are games, and even a free firewall. Not a single one of these other programs generates seemingly random popups in this fashion. The ones that use advertising have a very predictable pattern where they display ads when certain portions of their program are used, or opened by the user, or if a specific button is clicked on.

I can understand the reason for the ads, but there has to be limits! Before, I'd only see these Avast! popups once, or twice a day (not counting the previous database update notifications, which I kept disabled) and now I see them what seems like every few hours, and the ones I see for Grime Fighter, are misleading in that they make you think that grime fighter is installed, and ready to run. You click on that to run it, and it takes you to the Avast! store to purchase, or upgrade... Again, this is borderline adware behavior.

I use popup blockers, and ad blockers on my system for a reason. I don't like to see ads and popups in my face on a constant basis.