Author Topic: Does Anything Prevent from Going on the Avast Site?  (Read 3685 times)

Fylyp

Does Anything Prevent from Going on the Avast Site?
« on: May 18, 2006, 03:15:05 AM »
Hi, I've registered Avast Home edition two times already, great work by the way! But I have a big problem...  It happenned before i needed to register for the second time, and now I need it a third time...

The problem is : I can't go to www.avast.com.  My other PC can,  and I used to register for the second time cause I had reformated my PC.  Is there anything that prevent from visiting Avast web site?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Does Anything Prevent from Going on the Avast Site?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 02:54:05 PM »
The problem is : I can't go to www.avast.com.  My other PC can,  and I used to register for the second time cause I had reformated my PC.  Is there anything that prevent from visiting Avast web site?
Can you browse any other site?
Some virus could prevent antivirus sites and updates... generally the on-line scanners, which is not the case.
But, did you receive the email for registration?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 03:17:03 PM »
Quote from: Fylyp
Yes, your browser security settings restricted sites, your firewall, a virus possibly blocking access to anti-virus sites to stop you getting rid of it, an add blocker, etc. There really are to many permutations and there isn't any information to help.

What is your OS, is it fully up to date ?
What is your browser, have you tried a different browser ?
Do you have a pop-up or Ad blocker, if so what ?
What errors or warnings do you get when you try to reach the web site ?
How are you trying to reach the site, using a favourites link, typing it into your browser, etc. ?

If you are using avast for Home non-commercial use and the computers are in the same house you can use the same registration key on more than one PC, so you shouldn't have to register again. However, that doesn't explain why you can't access avast.com, are there any differences between both systems ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Fylyp

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:49:06 PM »
Well, I've tryed Firefox, IE. 
I'm on Xp Pro. 
I use Spy hunter and Ad aware on time to time, but nothing  is active. 
Nothing is saying anything about pop-ups.
I look like the site doesn't exit.
And I'm typing the site adress manually.

And if it's a virus, why does my news version of Avast did not protect me since it's been more than a year old virus ?

And I can actually go on almost every site I want.

Never received any email from avast for a long time... Not sure if I can even email to them... 

I'm on cable access... ( Videotron, Québec, Canada ).

And I don't use the other pc very often, it's a 300 MMX...  win xp pro, same base config, not as much programs and HD space... and not much ram either... old system.. pretty old actually!

Got a celeron 2,4
512 ram
ati radeon 9600... need more?

Thanks!

Fylyp

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 09:50:46 PM »
And well, by the way, I'm french, so please excuse me if my sentences and/or use of vocabulary seem weird!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 10:13:46 PM »
There are programs that can block pop-ups and also Adverts, that is what I meant (not are you getting pop-ups) and it could be possible that you can add urls to be blocked.

No one single AV is going to detect every virus or spyware, etc. I mentioned it because it is a possibility. You can use an on-line scanner as a secondary check. On-line Virus Scanners and other useful Links Security-Ops.eu.tt

Another possibility is the Hosts file in the C:\WINDOWS could have been modified to block avast.com. You can check the contents of the hosts file using a text editor like notepad and see if there is a line for avast.com, if there is delete the line and save the changes.

Other than that I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it would be blocked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mouniernetwork

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 02:01:45 AM »
yes you do can block any site including avast on a windows machine.c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\host add the sites you want to block or delete the entries you want to allow.

MounierNetwork