Author Topic: [fixed] avast worked great for years but now deadlocks my PC when updating  (Read 2785 times)

Offline av4me

I've used avast since version 5 without any incidents.

But this year, most noticeably the past couple months, whenever avast is updating itself behind the scenes, Windows will deadlock for maybe 20 seconds. Happens at least once a day, sometimes twice.

Same PC, same Windows XP, same configuration I've used since Avast 5.

It started happening after the last forced program upgrade after the start of the year.

I know it is Avast causing the deadlock because right after it finishes and returns control, Outpost firewall will immediately alert me that parts of Avast have changed.

2015-May-8: Now fixed from the last program upgrade
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:45:31 PM by av4me »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: avast worked great for years but now deadlocks my PC when updating
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »
Perform a clean installation of the latest version and check if it solved the problem:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=169255.msg1203279#msg1203279

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:18:33 PM »

But this year, most noticeably the past couple months, whenever avast is updating itself behind the scenes, Windows will deadlock for maybe 20 seconds. Happens at least once a day, sometimes twice.

It started happening after the last forced program upgrade after the start of the year.

I know it is Avast causing the deadlock because right after it finishes and returns control, Outpost firewall will immediately alert me that parts of Avast have changed.

I don't think reinstalling Avast will help as I am having other conflicts with avast & older versions of XP Pro but before the most recent update issue I've been having the same problem. System won't load on boot until Avast finishes and ad's pop up. The constant pop ups through out the day of unwanted or needed app's hangs everything until the pop up pops up. Although Avast security is supporting/protecting use XP users, not all the newer updates are compatible with individual XP configurations. A problem with not just Avast, so I guess we just have to live with the temporary inconveniences if we want to continue using Avast with our beloved older OS. .

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:30:44 PM »
avast is working fine on XP SP3 systems.

As has been explained many times, you can disable the pop-ups in the paid versions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 06:47:32 PM »

How much RAM do you have on this system ?
What is the CPU ?

It sounds like this could be after an update (which could be using a lot of system resources, depending on what you have) and Outpost would rightly tell you things have changed depending on your Outpost settings.

As you can see from my signature directly below this post, I use XP Pro SP3, the latest avast version and the latest version of Outpost Firewall Pro and don't get this issue.

Can you attach a screen shot of the outpost changed avast process screen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline av4me

Just wanted to update that the problem magically went away after the last program upgrade last week or so.

No more deadlocks during updates.

Thanks to whatever coder/bugfix fixed it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:44:49 PM by av4me »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thanks for taking the time to say it is resolved.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security