Author Topic: comodo personal firewall  (Read 139457 times)

timcan

Re: comodo personal firewall
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2005, 03:12:13 AM »
Hi nana8,I believe your problem is with your router.Did you get any instructions with it on how to configure it at setup?I use a netgear router /firewall and can pass shields up without software firewall.I use comodo to control outbound.

nana8

« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2005, 01:17:39 PM »
Thanks for answering again! Appreciate it! No I didn't get any instructions on how to configure the router, just the set up instructions they send when you set up DSL. And I think Comodo is seeing my router and not getting to my computer but I just don't know how to tell. How does a dummy like me find out what my ISP address is??? And then if that is the case how do I configure my outbound? I really don't know what I'm looking at when it comes to TCP and the UDP that is listed on Comodo. Thanks for any advice and help! ~Nana~

BILL G

« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2005, 01:46:54 PM »

NANA8   

Try MY COMPUTER - CONTROL PANEL - NETWORK CONN. - LOCAL AREA CONN. - STATUS - SUPPORT

nana8

« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2005, 07:25:49 PM »
Thanks Bill, Another person told me where to look and the host # they are giving me is not my IP. Still don't understand what that means but am working on it. ~Nana~

MFB

« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2005, 05:46:11 AM »
Hey for those who use Comodo, have you guys check your alert logs lately?  The only alert logs I'm getting are high and they're from Shields Up Test. 

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2005, 01:13:09 PM »
Take a look at this reply Polonus made in one of those threads:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17540.msg149466#msg149466

Direct link to the actual page:

http://www.samspade.org/d/firewalls.html

Quote I'm referring to:

...If you want to play with a piece of windows software that makes you click all over the place, there's always minesweeper.

If you'll feel safer sleeping at night knowing there's a 'personal firewall' running on your system, then install one. As long as you pay no attention to the "hack attacks" it reports it's better than nothing. A free one, ideally, as few of them are worth paying for. Turn off all the alerts and logging - you'll just waste your time (and, more importantly to me, my time and the time of other network administrators your complaints go to) increase your blood pressure and provide no benefit to you. If you really want to leave them turned on and see where traffic is coming from, feel free, but remember that most of the traffic you see is harmless, and that even if it isn't harmless it can't affect your system (if it could, it wouldn't be logged). Oh, and try not to waste admins time with frivolous complaints...

That is sooo true.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 01:15:14 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: comodo personal firewall & TdiMonitor
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2005, 01:33:10 PM »
Hello Turkey and Sasza,

To know what your applications are doing when they go out on the net, there is a beautiful free monitor tool by the name of TdiMonitor. Download it for free from here: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TdiMon.html. You start for instance TDIMonitor, and then only open your browser, do nothing for 3 minutes, and safe the log, and analyze (what outbound URLs you find, tec. etc).. This will be worth you while. Also use the tools you have under Dos for you like netstat (netstat -a & netstat - an, netstat -r) or arp -a etc. Most important in this respect is using common sense, disable file sharing, do not run services that you can do without.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2005, 01:55:44 PM »
Yes disabling file sharing is wonderful thing, especially because many (not all) people like to make all of their folders shared if they are on some kind of home networks, so they can easily share files among those computers on their network. I don't so that... I have my file sharing enabled, and only folder that is shared is my D:/Temp/ folder which is by the way always totally empty. When I need to transfer something from my desktop PC to my notebook, I simply put it in that folder, pick it up on my Notebook and immediately erase it. That's how I usually do when it comes to file sharing. I don't have to share a lot of things among computers on my network, but sometimes I have some things I have to transfer from one to another.

Also, no matter how secure it is, it seems like wireless never will be as secure as "normal" connections are. Anyway, I use my wireless connection just to connect my Notebook to this network when I'm working in another room or something. I made sure my connection is WEP secured, and 128-bit encrypted with 26 hex digits password. I also restricted access to others, so the only MAC address allowed, is the one associated to my Notebook.  ;D

Just as my friend Polonus mentioned... common sense is the attribute we all should posses.

Happy surfing people !
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 01:58:30 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Umath

« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2005, 02:59:26 PM »
Quote I'm referring to:

The quote does not provide helpful information for beginners since almost all of them are just sarcastic remarks on them.  :P

How about trying the app polonus linked and find if the remarks are true or not by yourselves?  TDIMon is definitely a good app but probably the overwhelming info likely scares off those who touch firewalls first time.  IMO, free personal firewall apps such as Sygate and Kerio rather manage to offer reasonable information without getting too verbose.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2005, 04:11:55 PM »
To tell the truth, I don't see sarcasm in this line (I also marked it in blue, so it means I was trying to draw people's attention to it):

...If you really want to leave them turned on and see where traffic is coming from, feel free, but remember that most of the traffic you see is harmless, and that even if it isn't harmless it can't affect your system (if it could, it wouldn't be logged)...

That is so true. And besides, you mentioned those new firewall users. What concretely can they do even if they find something in their log files ? As that guy said, even if there was some kind of attack that could affect their system, nothing would be logged... on the other hand looking at those endless logs will most likely just waste your precious time. This is just mainly in statistics purposes, but of course logging can be very useful when troubleshooting some problems and issues. I ask again, how many people reported in this forum that they are/were under some nasty attack ? None... or mostly all those were just false alarms, nothing else.

Umath

« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2005, 04:25:04 PM »
Hmmm…my first firewall was Kerio but I rather searched the net than asking in forums.  So, probably, story differs depending on the personalities.  I am quite sure the comment is not helping, though…

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2005, 04:29:20 PM »
Dear Umath,

Well I think "beginners" is the phase from where we all start here, also in FW'ing.
This is so with myself as well, what I learned during the process of trying to make over 1000 postings is amazing. If you stay long enough in a forum like this, and really interested to learn, every n33b can be turned into a g33k. You do not have to know all that is running under the hood, but enough to evade a disaster.
I did not know much about security as I started to come here first, but was very motivated after a re-install because of a major virus accident, and I like to thank all the forum members who brought me where I am now. We have a lot of expertise here, and we learn everyday.
I think Sasza is not sarcastic when he tells like it is. There are still people around that think that AV products stop virus. That is not true. AV products react, they save you from harm after the fact, and if there is a zero-exploit, no AV-scanner or FW can help you, but your security policy and your brains can protect you in such a way that even the zero-day exploit cannot befall you. I think it is a good thing that Sasza unravels some of these security myths. Of course you cannot survive for half an hour without a good AV and FW, but they DO NOT IMMUNIZE, and they do not harden.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2005, 04:55:57 PM »
Exactly my thoughts Damian... exactly what I meant when posting up there. No one is being sarcastic especially not in computer security related forum like this one is. I live with this forum, and number of my posts doesn't represent anything, but it tells that I'm here for so long, and if nothing else that I've learned well how to communicate with newcomers, regardless are they total newbies or some experienced experts which still like to come here and extend their knowledge.

I wouldn't make jokes with these things ever, and all I said up there is common sense. It's nothing like I said: "...people do not use firewalls or antiviruses...", or do you my friend Umath see it like that ? If your answer is yes, then you simply missunderstood me. All I was saying is, logging doesn't help you much when it comes to firewalls. For example, literally millions of users are using ZA all around the world, and they never ever felt any need to take a look at their log files... simply because most of them don't even understand what's inside. So why bother then ? Why to complicate something that's already pretty much complicated enough ? They need something simple and effective, and that was my point.

Umath

« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2005, 06:05:54 PM »
Oh...I found the quote sarcastic not Sasha.  I was just curious of why Sasha found the article interesting, which I understand now.  Nothing serious.  ;)

Talking of lack of knowledge, after my previous post, Kerio warned me that my browser is accessing a site at remote port 80, which struck me odd since no apps but Web Shield is allowed to use the port.  Well, to be honest, I even searched the net about the site, which was 70.84.157.228...  Yes...because of the good job by Avast team, I rarely remember the old days when Web Shield clashed daily.  Well, this is how I wasted my time today.  :-[  I keep learning and...forgetting. :P

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2005, 06:25:12 PM »
...I keep learning and...forgetting. :P

Haha, that's how we all live this life, isn't it ? But the good thing is... we keep learning till the very last breath.