Author Topic: comodo personal firewall  (Read 139436 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: comodo personal firewall
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2005, 02:04:14 PM »
Ok. And yea one more question is Comodo Personal Firewall free forever. I heard its only free for one year than after you have to pay, is that true?

To prove what I stated above, here you can read those mails I exchanged with one of the guys (Allan) from technical support... (sorted ascending, I am blue, he is red)

-----Original Message-----
Received: 11/7/2005 9:37 PM
To: personalfirewall@comodo.com
Subject: RE: Need brief info regarding Comodo firewall

Hello from Toronto,

I started to use your wonderful firewall, and I have to say I am simply amazed. You guys are great providing such a wonderful firewall for free. It passed all those online test, and I think I'll continue to use it and to recommend it to all my friends and contacts. I am also a part of avast! antivirus technical support.

I have just one question... on your web site, it says Comodo Personal Firewall free for 365 days. Does that mean that it will not be free after that period is over, or you just have to Update your licence and continue using it ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your answer in advance !

Regards,
Sasha

----- Original Message -----
To: Sasha
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 11:06 PM
Subject: RE: Need brief info regarding Comodo firewall [193973:210431]

Hi Sasha,

After 365 days of validitiy then you have to update/upgrade the license or you can update directly from our site.
Should have any queries do not hesitate to write to us.

Regards
Allan
Technical Support

-----Original Message-----
Received: 11/8/2005 1:25 AM
To: "Desktop Personal Firewall - Comodo" <personalfirewall@comodo.com>
Subject: Re: Need brief info regarding Comodo firewall [193973:210431]

Thank you Allan for your prompt respond, I really appreciate it.

However, one thing is still little bit unclear to me... we have avast! antivirus paid for version as well as Freeware version. Registration (just like with Comodo firewall) is once in a 14 months, but we know that registration is just for statistic purpose.

What I wonder is, will Comodo still be free after one year period has expired (of course you have to re-register) or will we have to upgrade/switch to some paid for version ?

Thanks in advance and again thanks for your response !
Keep up the good work guys !
Sasha

To: Sasha
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2005 7:15 AM
Subject: Re: Need brief info regarding Comodo firewall [193973:210450]

Hi Sasha,

Product will remain free you dont need to pay but as you said you have to re-registed.
you dont need to pay or switch to any other product.

Regards
Allan
Technical Support

To: "Desktop Personal Firewall - Comodo" <personalfirewall@comodo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: Need brief info regarding Comodo firewall [193973:210450]

Thank you Allan, I really appreciate your help. It is so wonderful to know that there actually are some other great companies, offering a free product and best of all, such a professional product above all. Also, technical support is free just like we provide help and support in avast! forums. avast! antivirus also provides phone and e-mail support even for freeware edition (avast! Home Edition).

Thanks again and have a wonderful day Allan !
Regards,
Sasha

Should you have any queries, you all are free to contact them through this e-mail address:

personalfirewall@comodo.com (Tech Support)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 02:11:21 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

BanziBaby

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2005, 08:56:45 PM »
I really wanted to try this firewall, unistalled Outpost & cleaned up the registry for leftovers, rebooted & tried to install this firewall but it just wont install for me on XP SP2, once the blue bar on the configuring windows installer screen has reached 100% it always then displays a error dialog saying

1609 : Unable to create installdriver instance

Emailed the support & explained what was happening & the guy sent me a file to replace (pity i cant install it as it wont let me actually install the firewall) He then asked me to redownload it which i did using three different browsers (IE, FF & Opera) just to get the same error message.

Untill i get this fixed i am testin the lastes Kerio, just wondering if any of U folk have had the same prob.

BaNzI ;D

neal62

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2005, 09:20:58 PM »
No, I am using Comodo, WinsXp Home, SP2 and had no problem downloading Comodo. Using it now and it works fine.

galooma

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2005, 09:37:16 PM »
@ Banzi,
Is it possible that you might be using some third party protection on your firewall, Process Guard comes to mind as one possibility of why an uninstall might be disrupted.

BanziBaby

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2005, 11:14:42 PM »
@Cloussau

I have disabled everythin from loading at boot time including NOD32, Ewido & PG, even unticked every option in PG & rebooted but i still get that error everytime.

I was watching the setup using Process Explorer, when i double click the setup file, both it & the MSIExec are loaded then as the blue configuring MSI installer progress bar get to full it then vanishes & the setup gives me that error, im thinking it might have something to do with the Installshield IDriver app as that seems to run & i then see both MSIexec & setup gettin access denied in PE.

At the mo i got on Kerio 4x, when that installs it does the configuring MSI installer, the bar gets to 100% & i then see it saying extracting Kerio.msi & it then installs perfectly.

I also noticed in the program files\common files\intsallshield\etc.. folder there is a update service folder, tried running that to see if it would update my files but nothing happens.

It's starting to do my head in as i really want to test this firewall. I have emailed support again asing if they have a seperate comodo.msi file, hopefully they can provide this tomorrow.

The strange thing is im trying to install it under the admin account but it still wont let me even install it ::)

BaNzI ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2005, 01:02:25 AM »
I have disabled everythin from loading at boot time including NOD32, Ewido & PG, even unticked every option in PG & rebooted but i still get that error everytime.
Including services? I think NOD32 (services and residents) are incompatible with avast.
ProcessGuard act in a low level and only uninstalling it will give me the final sure it's not interfearing.
The best things in life are free.

AvastForever

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2005, 01:08:23 AM »
This sound stupid. But how does this firewall update itself, you have to do or the firewall does like ZA? and you cant use Process Guard combine with this firewall?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 01:10:12 AM by AvastForever »

neal62

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2005, 03:54:26 AM »
If you go HERE it may answer your question on that page.  ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2005, 04:09:40 AM »
If you go HERE it may answer your question on that page.  ;)

Exactly... and here is a quote from the page Neal just gave you link for...

Stay protected against new threats via automatic online updates
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

stevejrc

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2005, 07:55:27 PM »
tried it, way too complicated for me, back to sygate - until I have a week to work out which UDP/TCP connections are needed for all my applications.  :o

although the wizards work, internet explorer still asked for some other UDP requests, none of which I ever saw in sygates traffic log where only UDP 53 was needed for DNS, which was handled by smartDNS option. Comming up  with loads of ports and protocals is ridiculous without any idea of what they are, that would lead to allowing all sorts of theats or stopping applications connecting.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 09:38:00 PM by stevejrc »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2005, 10:45:28 PM »
Hi stevejrc,

And good what you say, but you cannot solely rely on FIREWALLS for security, read this: http://sebsauvage.net/punching/ about "tunneling" and how you can punch holes through a firewall, which under circumstances is not allowed in many countries in the world.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

AvastForever

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2005, 06:45:23 AM »
Hey guys:

But i just notice something i think all you people are saying that ZA does tell when tooleaky.exe is going to start. But with process Guard it will ask you if you want to start tooleaky.exe or not. Since Process Guard does not allow any programs starting without your concent.I just try it. So i guess Process Guard make up for what ZA misses.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2005, 12:37:41 PM »
Exactly, but again... why having millions of different security programs installed if you can have just one that does all those things by default. Even wonderful Kerio firewall recognizes tooleaky.exe and doesn't need any third party application to stop it instead of firewall, which is btw installed for those things in the first place...

Having tens of security programs installed on the same machine will turn your machine in a fortress, true... but let's ask ourselves... how much of a system resources will left for other tasks... some productive tasks you have to make with your machine...  ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2005, 02:42:23 PM »
Hi S.Z.Craftec,

I agree with you there. Normally you only need  one resident AV product, one resident FW, one resident System Monitoring Program, additional programs should not be in startup like  AS, AT, HJT etc, and some of your security can be browser in-built add-ons. This is a multi-layered approach that should not be too heavy on your CPU, half of the load is windows dependant (iosubsys) anyway, check with ASVIEWER to see all your autostart files, quess you have some 100.
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2005, 04:34:02 PM »
check with ASVIEWER to see all your autostart files, quess you have some 100.

Nope... with SHOW SERVICES enabled it shows 75 although it's pretty close to 100... and when that one is disabled (by default btw) it shows only 28. I'm trying to keep everything and anything not needed out of the startup... those things that simply must be there, well, what can we do... See screenshot:

But I mostly use AutoRun (Sysinternals)