Author Topic: comodo personal firewall  (Read 139437 times)

Spiritsongs

Re: comodo personal firewall
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2005, 08:09:10 PM »
 :) Was wondering if Comodo Personal Firewall & Comodo
     Trust Toolbar is from the same company ? Since the latter
      is listed TWICE in SpywareBlaster's IE "section" as an
     "Active X" to be blocked, I wonder as to the creditability
      of the firewall !?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2005, 08:14:23 PM »
Why not visiting their official web site and check it over there ?

http://www.personalfirewall.trustix.com

As far as I know, that company is quite some time in this business... it's just they are new when it comes to personal firewalls.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

cyfer

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2005, 12:34:52 AM »
 of the firewall !?

No, Comodo Trust Toolbar is not related with Comodo Personal Firewall.  They have was is called "Trustix™ Personal Firewall".

Look here: http://www.trusttoolbar.com/products/index.html

timcan

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2005, 01:18:18 AM »
I don't know if any of the other comodo users have come across this or not,but comodo shows as a trial version when running under a limited user account.I emailed support but but no reply after 2 days.So I inserted the original license key and now is full subscription . Just thought this was odd to have to do.FYI

MFB

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2005, 02:08:53 AM »
Yeh, that happen to me, you have to re-enter your Key for that account.  It can be the same key that you got first time.

hipgnosis

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2005, 02:56:52 AM »
 of the firewall !?

No, Comodo Trust Toolbar is not related with Comodo Personal Firewall.  They have was is called "Trustix™ Personal Firewall".

Look here: http://www.trusttoolbar.com/products/index.html

There is a product on the Comodo web site called "Trusttoolbar".  Click the link at the top of the Comodo web page that says "Free Products"....3rd item down the list.

Not sure if this is the same product that's listed in Spyware Blaster ......if it's not it was a bad choice of names.    :)

justin1278

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2005, 04:26:00 AM »
i have tryed a few antispy programs that classified trust toolbar as a browser hijacker. I e-mailed there support and they said that some spyware programs cosider this spyware because it is so integrated in to IE and that they were talking to the antispyware vendors to get it resolved. I have researched the Comodo compnay and they seem to be a trusted company. Also about the trustix personal firewall i believe that Comodo bought trustix out and remade the trustix into comodo personal because the trustic personal is at 2.0 and comodo personal is at 1.1  plus the install pack for the trustix personal firewall installs the comodo personal firewall.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 05:59:42 AM by justin1278 »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2005, 09:43:04 PM »
Hello firewallers,

Here is where you can test your firewall:
http://www.firewallleaktester.com/leaktest3.htm

Try it,

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2005, 11:02:23 PM »
Yes Tech,

I got the same result for the hyperlink to the download of the vulnerability. The test is for a hole in certain firewalls (ZoneAlarm, Kerio e.a), and in that case it is understandable that Dr. Web classifies is as such, while on the other hand it is presented as a test and in this form a harmless test in its results.

Russian virus philosophy sometimes goes according these lines. Once I remember there was an animated graphic, simulating deleting a hard disk. Russian virus scanners alarmed, because people could panic from watching it (and get a heart attack), while  misinterpreting what went on: a harmless joke others would think..
The animation could not do much  harm, but some people could not discriminate between the real thing and this so-called joke. But if the basic line is run no risks, I give Dr. Web a good mark for attentiveness. A hole is a hole, test or no test.

The only thing that prevents firehole is a system monitoring program: see: http://diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=attack-hooks

greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 11:07:34 PM by polonus »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2005, 11:10:23 PM »
Yes Polonus is 100% right...

I just tested Kerio on my primary computer and this is the result (read: I'm protected):

« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 11:12:04 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2005, 11:12:32 PM »
The only thing that prevents firehole is a system monitoring program: see: http://diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=attack-hooks
Or PrevX (free) or System Monitor (free), better than PG in my opinion.
Or Kerio Firewall, or Outpost (Pro)  8)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2005, 11:28:34 PM »
Tech, do you still have those stupid freezings with Kerio ? I have to say that I still have but all those are 99% controlable. 1% is when I use Azureus or LimeWire for example... I am aware that I am not the only one, and many reports have already been claimed... they (Kerio people) said everything is fixed with version 4.2.2, but it's not... I still have those Kerio GUI problems when trying to open it while Azureus or Limewire is working in the background. Sometimes parts of the Kerio GUI are just blank, you can see desktop through them...

The good thing is, never happened to freeze completely. It lasts only for 30 seconds, maybe 40 and then everything is fine... but I know it's not fine, and they should finally do something regarding that...

Cheers !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2005, 01:43:45 AM »
Tech, do you still have those stupid freezings with Kerio ?
Not with Kerio, but Kerio GUI itself. It (the window of setting) is what freezes for me...

I still have those Kerio GUI problems when trying to open it while Azureus or Limewire is working in the background. Sometimes parts of the Kerio GUI are just blank, you can see desktop through them...
Yeah, exactly, I can see the desktop or any other application through it...  :P

The good thing is, never happened to freeze completely. It lasts only for 30 seconds, maybe 40 and then everything is fine... but I know it's not fine, and they should finally do something regarding that...
For me, only closing the GUI I can handle with this. After booting, maybe it works, maybe it doesn't  :P

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2005, 02:27:17 PM »
Hi folks,

Unsafe firewalls are unsafe because of trivial exploits or masquerade within the same or any directory: look here at a list: http://grc.com/lt/scoreboard.htm.
Some alterate between safe firerwalls every couple of months: ZoneAlarm for a couple of months, Sygate for a couple of months. Never use two main FW's at the same time. They are like guard dogs in front of the house and start to fight among each other rather than keeping the house safer.

greets,

polonus