Author Topic: comodo personal firewall  (Read 139441 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: comodo personal firewall
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2005, 02:32:51 PM »
Polonus I don't have two firewalls installed... see here in this reply of mine:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17020.msg147118#msg147118

Quote:

...I have to say that I am unbelievable happy with this firewall so far... in combination with my new Linksys befw11s4 v4 wireless router/firewall it gives a wonderful protection. Also, no slow down after instaling Comodo firewall at all. On my other computer after complete uninstalling avast! and Kerio, boot time went down to unbelievable 8 seconds, like it was before... after installing Comodo...

I use Kerio on my primary desktop machine and Comodo is installed on my new laptop Gateway M675 17" wide screen (present from my beloved wife btw, hehe)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2005, 03:47:24 PM »
Someone knows if this firewall have ARP protection?
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2005, 03:56:53 PM »
Hi S.Z. Craftex,

I was just speaking in general. My point here is that a FW these days is part of a layered form of protection. That there are people that change FW's once in a while, just like it is bad to eat jam every day. I think that in-browser security measures are becoming more and more important. But it is a constant struggle between the security aware and the e-commerce boys. The first to find better ways to avoid crap and others to find ways to surpass detection (tunneling, webbugs, dart technology, autonomous processes), and rather do this invisible to the consumer all together (Jericho forum enthusiasts). Look with TDI mon what happens just after you open your browser and do nothing. Open TDI mon log and look at the results, then you will see who is monitoring your online activities.

VaMPiRiC_CRoW,

About ARP poisoning and protection against this see this thread:

http://www.governmentsecurity.org/archive/t14083.html

Yes, ProxyARP is found on the CD of this firewall. Or do it like this:
Router (config-if)# ip proxy-arp . So later you can see the dynamic address with arp -a

interface: 10.0.0.151 ---0x10003
Internet-address                fysical address                      type dynamic
10.0.0.138                          00-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx       

The danger of arp is a arp-redirect and you have to install arpwatch -1 r10 , but all these things are network related things.         

greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 10:07:06 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2005, 03:04:13 AM »
Thanks for the info, Polonus ;)
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

romanito

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2005, 12:30:13 PM »
I try to install comodo firewall but at the end of installation (rolling back)  I get an error that i have not  privilege and tell me to contact support.
I try to contact comodo support but without success.They ignore me.
I format my disk and install comodo just after install xp sp2 and get the same error?????
Very strange
Did someone allready have this error ?

Romanito

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2005, 01:18:17 PM »
Do you have another firewall installed and not removed prior to installing Comodo ?

Also, you have to have Administrator rights on your account to be able to install it properly. Log off, and log back in under some account with administrator rights and install it from the scratch.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

romanito

« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2005, 02:40:01 PM »
i just have one account, administrator.
I didn´t have a another firewall (install comodo firewall was the first thing I do after format and install xp sp2 again).
I install thousands softwares in my PC, never have this error.This error was a comodo error, not a windows error. And the error tell me is can be a privilege error.It´s not sure.

Romanito

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2005, 02:51:08 PM »
Comodo MAY have issues concerning running between the Administrator account and the Non Administrator with WinXP?
Can anybody confirm this?
Won't the firewall protect the computer while running a non-administrator account?
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2005, 03:19:58 PM »
i just have one account, administrator.
I didn´t have a another firewall (install comodo firewall was the first thing I do after format and install xp sp2 again).
I install thousands softwares in my PC, never have this error.This error was a comodo error, not a windows error. And the error tell me is can be a privilege error.It´s not sure.

Romanito

Well if it's a Comodo error how come none of us got that error and we installed it without a single problem ? It must be something connected to non-admin account issues even though you mentioned your account is Administrator account. By the way, having just one account and it's Administrator account is not most secure way to browse the internet... you are much more vulnerable than browsing the net under some account with limited rights.

Also, I know that whatever issue I had to ask, Comodo tech support answered almost immediately... this is their support e-mail in case you used some other:

support@comodogroup.com

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2005, 03:23:50 PM »
Sasha, a very brief comparison of ZA and Comodo development rates.
Do you think Comodo is more trustable (easy update, real protection, frequent upgrades, features) than ZA?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2005, 03:34:22 PM »
Comodo firewall is great product but I still think they need to work on it. No software succeeded over the night, especially not security related software tools. People don't trust to new products that easy, and that's the biggest problem.

ZA was always one of the best firewalls out there. Of course with some issues and minor problems, but still I strongly believe they are on the top of the chart whatever some other people may think.

At the moment I use Kerio on both of my computers (desktop and notebook), so I can't tell you much about Comodo at the moment, especially not about latest version of Comodo. I may try it again in the future... who knows what future brings. Maybe some well known company releases something better in the mean time, who knows...  ;)  ;D

romanito

« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2005, 05:55:23 PM »
hello  S.Z.Craftec

Thanks for your help

Well if it's a Comodo error how come none of us got that error and we installed it without a single problem
i agree and because of that i format my disk and install again xp sp2 and I install comodo before any software but I have the same error.

Also, I know that whatever issue I had to ask, Comodo tech support answered almost immediately... this is their support e-mail in case you used some other:
with the support online I have this :
> Romano: I have a problem with the installation of comodo firewall.I
allways get this error: rolling back ......not enough privilege....
> > You are now speaking with Peter of Comodo Support.
> > Peter: Hello Luis
> > Romano: hello
> > Peter: Ok, Please send an Email at supprt@comodo.com and we will need to
forward this to our developer to look in to it
> > Peter:  :)
> > Romano: ok thanks
???

And with the email support i get this:
Hi,

We have escalated this issue to the concerned department and they working in
that,i will get back to you once
its sorted.

Regards
Allan
Technical Support
I still wait

By the way, having just one account and it's Administrator account is not most secure way to browse the internet

Thanks I will work on that

It must be something connected to non-admin account issues even though you mentioned your account is Administrator account

How can I verify This??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2005, 06:04:55 PM »
It must be something connected to non-admin account issues even though you mentioned your account is Administrator account
How can I verify This??
It seems a Comodo error and not your Windows installation... if you never had a non-administrator account, how could it being messing the firewall installation?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2005, 06:31:25 PM »
Hi Romanito,

When it comes to Comodo's Technical support, situation is pretty much exactly the same as avast! technical support. We do this for free, and there are many, many requests at the same time. I am sure Allan is working on that issue, and soon he will get back to you with some answer. He was the guy who contacted me as well when I had some questions. First time it was pretty fast, second time when I asked something, it took few good hours, but no one can and should expect to get an answer in next few seconds. Sometimes it takes more than few days to get first place in waiting line. There is unbelievable huge number of users with all kinds of requests, and just few individuals who are trying to please everybody. I am sure your issue will get their attention soon, and someone will eventually answer you.

Cheers !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2005, 08:38:49 PM »
Romanito, I've tried and I get the same error  :P
I think the problem could be the folder where you're installing. Are you using the default one?
If tested three times and nothing (tryed both the default and no-default folder).
Nothing...
I've come back to ZA... what can I do...?