Author Topic: comodo personal firewall  (Read 139439 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: comodo personal firewall
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2005, 08:03:05 PM »
Hi Umath,

Now go to this site here: http://online.drweb.com/?url=1
Now give in this URL to check: 70.84.157.228, and now you have checked it before you actually clicked the link or went there. But this cannot be, because it is sm00.avast.com. You cannot fetch it because it is an absolute URL. Now give in http://sm00.avast.com, and you read OK file size 25632 bytes, archive HTTP OK script 0 OK, JavaScript 1 OK sm00.avast.com OK

This is realtime protection, you pre-checked it against the update servers of Dr. Web's in St. Petersburg to see if it is OK. They are updated twice a day or more.
If you would go to the link after that, you would have made a decided decision. This is better certainty than a FW can give you, and even like a live scan, because it is a PRE-SCAN. Now you learn to think security,  8) it is not difficult. It is only a constant attitude, my friend.

greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 08:13:28 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Umath

« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2005, 12:51:06 PM »
I checked it with whois search, finding the domain name as well as how silly I was.  I had configured my firewall to make sure that Web Shield keeps checking all the http connections, which totally slipped from my mind at that time.

Now go to this site here: http://online.drweb.com/?url=1

I presume the site uses the same engine with the Dr.Web browser plug-ins, which you occasionally recommend.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2005, 02:16:05 PM »
Hi Umath,

Yes it uses the same, and regularly updated as you can see.
The only difference here is you have to fill in the hyperlink address yourself (cut & paste for instance), and you can use this page for scanning suspicious files on your comp if any. For a complete scan or second opinion you can download DrWebCureIt and use that, just like you use stinger.exe. Make sure you have the latest version. If you want a scan of a file on your machine against various AV try jotti or virustotal and upload your suspicious file there. The DrWeb plug in is nice because it is only one click away before you click a hyperlink. I hope it soon will come in for FF 1.5 and Flock. I heard through the grape-vine they are waiting for approval.

Surf safe and malware free is the wish of,

polonus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2005, 03:40:53 PM »
Thanks to the new 1.1.004 version, I could get Comodo Personal Firewall working in my computer.
Leaving Kerio, at least, for a while  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2005, 04:13:48 PM »
Thanks to the new 1.1.004 version, I could get Comodo Personal Firewall working in my computer.
Leaving Kerio, at least, for a while  8)

And as I stated before, Comodo is one nice firewall... it is also really nice to see this:

http://www.softpedia.com/progReportSpyware/14-3-117
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2005, 06:03:57 PM »
Leaving Kerio, at least, for a while 8)

Wonderful Tech!  ;) So what is your opinion on it? I use it or rather i am trying it out and i think  it's a great program with alot of potential  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2005, 11:23:31 PM »
Wonderful Tech!  ;) So what is your opinion on it? I use it or rather i am trying it out and i think  it's a great program with alot of potential  :D
Some things are good, others are weak.

We can't disable the firewall for a while. Just unload the program and need to start it again. Kerio, Outpost and ZA have this option. ZA is even better that allows you to configure some programs to pass through the 'closed' traffic situation.

Need to make a full test of Shields Up  ::)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2005, 11:34:45 PM »
I already did it and it can be seen in this same thread at page number 4  ;)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17020.45

Firewall maybe be quite new, but I really don't see the reason for  ::) It passed all those tests without a single glitch... even with my router/firewall disabled. It also passed tooleaky.exe

And ZA freeware failed that one... unless you Tech have Pro version, but as it's not freeware I don't believe it's suitable for most users...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2005, 11:38:14 PM »
Comodo needs a more user-friendly mode. Why do I need to know that one part of my computer is trying to talk to another part? What are UDP and TCP? (No, don't answer that!- I'm quite happy with TCP being a brand of gargle/mouthwash in the UK.)

I understand allowing trusted applications to connect out and blocking anything without a very good reason from connecting in. Knowing this, I've been safe with Kerio for over a year, but Comodo leaves me baffled.  ??? ??? ???
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2005, 11:46:21 PM »
Well you're right there... but why not try to talk to them as well ? I mean, if they care about their customers (regardless is it freeware program or some paid for) they should listen to our advices and change some things. Same situation is with those announcements... they all are exactly the same color, and Kerio has red-ish and green-ish strip, so at least you can get some picture before deciding what to do with that particular pop-up window. It would be really nice if Comodo has something similar.

I guess it's meant to be a firewall for little bit more experienced users... but sure, it would be great if they thought of all those who just started to "play" with these tools.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2005, 11:48:19 PM »
Hi FwF,

You missed the man who hacked TCP/IP for FwF, you know his name: ORAL B. Ha, ha, ha.....

greets,

polonus

TCP EXAMEN ISSUE 70-059 HelpDesk in 20 steps

neal62

« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2005, 12:04:16 AM »
If I want to effectively disable Comodo I just set my "Security Level" to low which allows ALL incoming/outgoing traffic irregardless of what my original restrictions were.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2005, 12:18:42 AM »
Hi Neal63,

And why should you do that? If you lower your visors, does that not mean you are less protected, or are these settings that high that part of your services don't work? You should make a design of the firewall, and what it is supposed to do before setting it up, yes, my friend, just on paper! Then if you are aware what is going to happen, according to your best wits, you will start to implement, and then you start to fine tune, after analyzing. You you will get it into your grip, step by step.

It is just with a car, rule one read the manual, if you know what is in the manual, start to act.

friend polonus
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 12:20:24 AM by polonus »

neal62

« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2005, 12:29:59 AM »
Hi Polonus,

No, I don't set my Comodo security level to "Low". If I did then there wouldn't be any protection at all. I was just pointing out that I believe if a person wanted to disable Comodo this would be all they needed to do. I leave my Security setting set at "Custom". This way I have complete stealth report results from GRC etc and toolleaky is also passed.  :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 12:31:35 AM by neal63 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2005, 01:21:42 AM »
If I want to effectively disable Comodo I just set my "Security Level" to low which allows ALL incoming/outgoing traffic irregardless of what my original restrictions were.
Thanks Neal... Although, this is not intuitive.
The 'colour' issue said by Sasha is real truth: it needs improvements like this.
GUI and messages layout either  :-\