Author Topic: How to delete viruses from Network Manager  (Read 5342 times)

HomeNet

How to delete viruses from Network Manager
« on: October 04, 2005, 06:46:43 PM »
OK, I'm new to the Distributed Network Manager and am rather pleased with the app thus far.  I've figured out how to schedule the scans and I run them @ 1900 (while they aren't using the PC).  It has returned the results and I see that I have some cleaning up to do.  I told the scanner to move the infections to the Chest but if that fails, delete them on the next reboot.  I figured out how to remotely connect to their Chests and remove the files in there but some are elsewhere in the system.  I'm sure the files are in use and cannot be moved due to Windows security.  On an unmanaged PC, I can use the "Boot-time scanner" to delete items that would normally be in use or otherwise protected (ie: items in System Restore directories).  I can't figure out how to schedule a Boot-time scan from the "server" or the client machines.

Another thing...  I scheduled an "Infection Report Generation" task.  I'm not sure how to just get all the infections, what PC they are on and the address (what directory) so I can track them down.  I'd like to have the infection reports emailed to me.  This task fails but gives no errors other than "Failed" (in the tasks menue).  It looks like I have all the SMTP info correct but it never sends the PDF files that are generated.  Do I need to set up a mail client (Outlook Express/MS-Outlook) or does the Network Manager software handle all that?  If it does handle that, what could I be doing wrong?

To sum all this up:
1: How do I clean/move/delete infections, on the client PCs, from the server?

2: If possible, how could i schedule a boot-time scan for the clients?

3: How can I get those reports sent to my email?

10-4-05
1246 EDT
Rob

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: How to delete viruses from Network Manager
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 12:01:13 PM »
1: How do I clean/move/delete infections, on the client PCs, from the server?

Well, the best way indeed is to run a scan task, and preset the actions (one of those would be delete on next boot). That should cause the files to be (unconditionally) deleted when the user restarts the machine. Isn't it the case in your network?

2: If possible, how could i schedule a boot-time scan for the clients?

Sorry, this is not currently possible but will be added soon (is scheduled for one of the upcoming ADNM updates). Basically, boot-time scanning will be a special mode of a regular on-demand scanning task. You'll see all the results etc. in the task's session, as usual. It will also support moving to the chest directly from the boot-time scanner.

3: How can I get those reports sent to my email?

First, I'd try to generate the reports to the session. Does that work? If it does, it means that the report engine is OK and the problem is really related to the sending. Do you have the global SMTP details set up correctly? I mean in the console's Settings dialog (not in the properties of a computer group in the Catalog - these settings are used only on the respective clients).

Thanks
Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

HomeNet

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 10:31:43 PM »
OK, sorry for taking so long to reply...  I've been rather busy at work, lately.

Well, the best way indeed is to run a scan task, and preset the actions (one of those would be delete on next boot). That should cause the files to be (unconditionally) deleted when the user restarts the machine. Isn't it the case in your network?

I have set the scan task to delete them on the next reboot.  The main issue, there is the people don't reboot very often.  There's no domain here so I can do a remote-reboot on their machine.  :(  I'll have to get around that by either scheduling a reboot avery night or beat it into their heads that they have to reboot every night.

Sorry, this is not currently possible but will be added soon (is scheduled for one of the upcoming ADNM updates). Basically, boot-time scanning will be a special mode of a regular on-demand scanning task. You'll see all the results etc. in the task's session, as usual. It will also support moving to the chest directly from the boot-time scanner.

Boot-time scan will be a very nice feature on an upcoming release of the software.  Any idea as to when it'll be ready for deployment?  Will I get notified?

First, I'd try to generate the reports to the session. Does that work? If it does, it means that the report engine is OK and the problem is really related to the sending. Do you have the global SMTP details set up correctly? I mean in the console's Settings dialog (not in the properties of a computer group in the Catalog - these settings are used only on the respective clients).

It does generate the reports properly, as I see them if I set it up to send the reports into the Server-side tasks.  When I type in my info in the SMTP settings of the console I hit OK.  Still no joy!  I open the settings again and I see that they are not saved -- the user fields are blank again!  However, if I open the SMTP settings of the Computer Catalog, they show up there.  Strange to you?  I'll check the settings against the account info on my mail server.  Maybe what I'm seeing is normal and the settings just carry over/down to the Computer Catalog...

10-21-05
1625 EDT
Rob

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 10:39:51 PM »
Are you using the latest version of ADNM? I remember this was a bug in one of the older versions (that the global SMTP details did not get saved properly).

Thanks
Vlk

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 10:41:44 PM »
Huh, the bug seems to be still there in the current build. Sorry!
I'll have this fixed asap.

So, your server requires authentication, right?

Thanks
Vlk

HomeNet

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 09:30:28 PM »
So, your server requires authentication, right?
Yes, our server require authentication.  It just uses the same SMTP info for both outgoing & incoming mail servers.