Author Topic: 4.6 freezing up  (Read 4349 times)

subzero

4.6 freezing up
« on: October 20, 2005, 06:05:28 PM »
While running a through scan my system is freezing up and I have to reset the computer, does anyone else have this issue

Windows xp pro - zone alarm - avg as for software, as the system goes 2.5 ghz  512 ram and for the last time i ran a test it was 9/28/05 and i will give the standard test a try, and thanks
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 06:46:36 PM by subzero »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 4.6 freezing up
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 06:23:49 PM »
There is insufficient information to compare.

We will need to know a little about your system, cpu, ram, operating system, what version of avast, etc.

Do you know what the last file was that was scanned before the freeze?
If you repeat the scan does it stop at the same place?

Personally I don't do a thorough scan (with archives) unless I have a suspicion that here may well be a problem as it takes a very long time. Since your on-access scanners should keep you out of trouble (depending on settings) as all new or modified files should be scanned. I do a weekly Standard Scan of local drives as a part of my system maintenance (without archives, which are inert until opened and at that time they would be scanned by avast!).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 06:26:08 PM »
Additionally to David, you can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 10:10:01 PM »
You have both avast! and AVG installed?
Does the freeze occur every time you run a scan, or was this a single incident?

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 08:49:07 AM »
subzero wrote:
avg as for software...

I presume you are NOT using the AVG "Resident Protection" and are just using the AVG "Manual Scan" as a BU to Avast.  ;)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

subzero

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 09:21:15 PM »
Everytime i run a through scan it locks up, and I'm using as one of my two full time anti-virus program. If i run a standard it has no problems..

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 09:58:58 PM »
I'll try my queston again...  ;)

1) When you run the Avast scan you turn OFF the "AVG Resident Shield", which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run, RIGHT ?  ???

In fact you should NOT at any time, have both Resident Shields on at the same time, imo.

subzero wrote:
Everytime i run a through scan it locks up...

2) You mean to say a "thorough" scan, right ?
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 02:40:46 AM »
One of my two full time anti-virus program.
No!!!
avast! can't live with AVG residents at a time... It could in the past use the email scanner but not even this is possible.
You won't get a stable system, on contrary, crashes and nothing working correctly.
Believe us, two antivirus don't bring you more protection but troubles  :P
The best things in life are free.