Author Topic: Promlem with Zonealarm  (Read 30133 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Promlem with Zonealarm
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2003, 02:46:08 AM »
Well, maybe I'll try to solve this with ZA's assistant by asking him on-line. I also posted this conversation  to ZA's forum, where someone was having samekindoflike problem I have..

If you get something from the ZA support team, please, let us know. As shgoh said, we all have similar troubles in the past, me too.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

shgoh

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2003, 03:03:59 AM »
yes yes....please tell us!!!.......and next time we and the people here in this forum can solve similar problems...thanks... ;D

B4349

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2003, 07:45:07 AM »
Haven't yet consulted ZA's support team. We will see am I going to do it or am I changing to another FW. But somehow even this problem is annoying it still fascinates me. It would be hard works win if I could get it running.

Yesterday Avast found win32:blaster worm. I thought that it was disturbing the system and that's why ZA won't work. But no. When I got worm out of system, I tried to install ZA again (it was about 15-20 th time!!). And surprise surprise: True vector security service is shut down.

doggeral

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2003, 09:07:13 AM »
I'm not much of a fan of zone alarm....Mostly, because of past things including the former interface being way too simple (I think that has been fixed since).

Ok off the rant.  No one asked this question so I'm going to ask before you dump a solution you like.   What does Event viewer say about the situation?  

If you go in and clear all the event viewer logs.   Then reboot and look at them to see exactly what is failing.  If you are not sure what you are looking at you can post you results here and you should have a lot more input.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 09:07:22 AM by doggeral »

doggeral

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2003, 09:12:05 AM »
Event Viewer by the way is in

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools

B4349

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2003, 04:03:23 PM »
The system log says that service TrueVector internet monitor is dependent of the service vsdatant, which starting failed because of error: sevice can not be run because it has been removed from working or there's no devices that are in use for it. (This is my translation because my OS's language is Finnish.)

The application log says that TrueVector driver: Driver install or load failure: LoadNTDeviceDriver. Win32 error: starting of service failed because it has been removed from working or there's no devices that are in use for it.

That vsdatant (TrueVector Device Driver) was installed yesterday (last time I installed ZA). Version of the vsdatant is the same as ZA's.

B4349

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2003, 10:07:43 PM »
If you get something from the ZA support team, please, let us know. As shgoh said, we all have similar troubles in the past, me too.  ;)

Well, Zonealarm's support is only for paying customers.. Free ZA user is practically having support only from ZA's forum. So the ZA's support team is out of counts, but I've also discussed/am discussing about problem in forum.

techie101

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2003, 12:49:13 AM »
B43...

Sorry I havn't posted on this recently, but I have been monitoring other posters.  This seems to be a very unusual problem which doesn't help you much.
I have done research on ZA TV not starting and cannot come up with a solution.

I still need to ask if you followed my suggestion of shutting down all non-essential programs in the Startup.  I know you checked it , but then you went on to explain other things.  Shutting down everything else but ZA and TV, Systray and Explore (if installed) is the only way we can tell if a conflict exists with another program, or if another program is interferring with one of the sub routines needed by ZA uses to start True Vector.

Try running a Disk Scan and Disk Defrag just in case some error exists that has not shown itself elsewhere.

If all else fails, I would ask you to look into Sygate Personal Firewall.
It is very easy to set up, and has the versitility of being both an Application and Rule based firewall.
or, Kerio has been recommended by other users on the forum although I did not care for it myself.  Tiny PFW is also an excellent program but the learning curve is high.  Agnitum's Outpost has gotten mixed reviews from users.

techie
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 01:19:26 AM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2003, 02:43:49 AM »
If all else fails, I would ask you to look into Sygate Personal Firewall.
It is very easy to set up, and has the versitility of being both an Application and Rule based firewall.
or, Kerio has been recommended by other users on the forum although I did not care for it myself.  Tiny PFW is also an excellent program but the learning curve is high.  Agnitum's Outpost has gotten mixed reviews from users.
techie

I agree with techie. Sometimes True Vector 'play' jokes with us... Sometimes, even with loading errors in Windows Events, everything looks fine !? You can test your firewall (there are some links here at section Firewall & System tests) and nothing wrong seems to happen  :-\
The best things in life are free.

doggeral

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2003, 03:07:40 AM »
I also agree.  Just don't use Sygate if you use proxomitron or admuncher as it doesn't work properly with them.   If you can stomach kerio 2.1.5 you'd be in good shape, but it takes some getting use to.   Kerio 4 isn't very good IMO.  Tiny is OK.  Outpost is pretty good as well, but I can't remember what is disabled in the free version.   Good luck anyway.

techie101

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2003, 03:56:50 AM »
Just don't use Sygate if you use proxomitron ......as it doesn't work properly with them.
On the contrary, I use Proxomitron with Sygate and they work fine.

Outpost is pretty good as well, but I can't remember what is disabled in the free version.  
This may help.  ttp://www.agnitum.com/migratepages/newpro_vs_oldfree.html

Good luck

doggeral

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2003, 06:00:51 AM »
On the contrary, I use Proxomitron with Sygate and they work fine.

I guess I should restate what I meant.  The problem is the well documented loopback problem in Sygate.  Don't get me wrong I like sygate as a firewall I use it on machines without local proxy software.  It does a good job, but the loopback issues which aren't on the surface that big of a deal are very real.   It has nothing to do with crashing.

Any program that connects through the proxomitron has free reign on the internet and you can't control them, which is essentially why you would use a firewall in the first place.   Its worse with programs like Ad Muncher that work where they filter everything on a lower level and don't require you to enter a proxy server.  

You can in sygate allow proxomitron and block internet explorer and still be able to browse the web in internet explorer.  

Also you left out the "h" in your outpost link.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 06:02:34 AM by doggeral »

techie101

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2003, 06:10:16 AM »
I guess I should restate what I meant.  The problem is the well documented loopback problem in Sygate
Can't be too well documented...I never heard of it.

Any program that connects through the proxomitron has free reign on the internet and you can't control them.
Not entirely correct.  Although Proxo is an "upfront" filter, the firewall will still act on internet access.  In addition, any other software such as adware and spyware blockers, etc. will work as intended.  The function of Proxo is to filter out anything you want and can be tailored as needed.  It can stop all or little.  It can block urls or allow ones you want.  The programs do not have free access.  They are still monitored and controlled by your firewall. (provided it is reliable and configurable).

Also you left out the "h" in your outpost link.
Sorry, but my fingers get tired.  ;D

Take care,
techie
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 06:11:14 AM by techie101 »

doggeral

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2003, 06:19:22 AM »
Not entirely correct.  Although Proxo is an "upfront" filter, the firewall will still act on internet access.

Not true with Sygate, because of the problem I stated.   Proxomitron like other local proxy software sits between the application and the internet.   Internet Explorer for example is connecting to proxomitron and not directly to the internet.   Sygate is unable to monitor Internet Explorer's connection to Proxomitron and once you allow proxomitron access in both directions Internet Explorer can send and recieve unmonitored.   Sure the traffic is monitored in terms of proxomitron, but sygate has no idea what applications are really passing the traffic especially if you have multiple applications filtered.  Its confusing enough trying to track down the embedded applications that use internet explorer's settings.  

In addition, any other software such as adware and spyware blockers, etc. will work as intended.  The function of Proxo is to filter out anything you want and can be tailored as needed.  It can stop all or little.  It can block urls or allow ones you want.  The programs do not have free access.  They are still monitored and controlled by your firewall. (provided it is reliable and configurable).

Again it has nothing to do with the actual filters or settings in proxomitron.  It has to do with the fact that sygate simply does not handle loopback associated with local proxies.

Can't be too well documented...I never heard of it.

Its so well documented on the sygate forums that the moderators were sick of answering questions about it last I checked.   As some people are pretty annoying with it, but then again they said it would be fixed in 5.1 and we are past 5.5 and its still an issue.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 06:22:19 AM by doggeral »

techie101

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2003, 06:38:42 AM »
doggeral,

Thank you for the information.  I will have to research the loopback problem.

But if IE connects directly to Proxo, then why does Sygate ask if I want to grant permission to IE to access the internet?  If I set Sygate to block ALL, none of my apps will connect.
This seems contrary to what you have said.  However, this is off topic and I no longer use Proxo since it is not supported anymore by the developers.

Nice to have shared a user problem with you.

Doggeral,
I came across this site.  DocB may be able to help you.  
http://www.moonlake.net/security/docbza3.htm

Techie
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 06:45:34 AM by techie101 »