Author Topic: Can Virus Definitions be updated offline  (Read 6895 times)

bradmoss

Can Virus Definitions be updated offline
« on: October 29, 2005, 04:27:03 PM »
Can I download some file from the Avast web site to update Virus Definitions on a standalone PC (no network connection of any kind)?

I was told some AntiVirus Products have a kind of "Virus Definitions Updates" that can be downloaded and then applied on standalone PCs

TIA
Brad.-

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Can Virus Definitions be updated offline
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 04:30:17 PM »
Yes you can. You would already have known the answer if you only had looked at http://www.avast.com

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 05:05:42 PM »
Yes you can - avast! VPS Update - Manual Download.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bradmoss

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 10:56:47 AM »
Thank you very much, for the answer and the warm wellcome.
Not sure yet of choosing Avast, is among my favorites but I have not made the decision, this one was one of the points to take into consideration not all the antivirus programs allow updating offline.
Brad.-

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 12:43:50 PM »
Not sure yet of choosing Avast, is among my favorites but I have not made the decision.
What are you waiting for?
What feature you need and already did not discover that avast! has too?  ;D
Welcome to avast!  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 12:49:21 PM »
Well avast is the most flexible, configurable AV that I have ever used and I've used a few. Not to mention it is relatively light on resources when compared to the behemoths out there.

Should you chose to try it, ensure that you uninstall (not just disable) your existing AV (especially if it is NAV, let us know as this often leaves stuff behind), two resident AV are likely to cause conflict rather than twice the protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

John-

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 10:41:30 PM »
well technically speaking,...you always have to be online to download them,...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 11:52:07 PM »
well technically speaking,...you always have to be online to download them,...
Not sure if this relates to my comments.

However, if it does, I credit 'bradmoss' with the intelligence not to uninstall his existing AV before going on-line and downloading avast! before going off-line and uninstalling his existing AV and installing avast!

AvastForever

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 12:07:49 AM »
Well avast is the most flexible, configurable AV that I have ever used and I've used a few. Not to mention it is relatively light on resources when compared to the behemoths out there.

Should you chose to try it, ensure that you uninstall (not just disable) your existing AV (especially if it is NAV, let us know as this often leaves stuff behind), two resident AV are likely to cause conflict rather than twice the protection.

I want to know is it bad to have two antivirus program. I have Avast 4.6 and on-acsess always on and i have Antivir on my system but for Scanning my computer only and i disable the GUARD becuase Avast is already doing this. So its it bad to Have two antivirus program on your computer even if one is active and one is not? (Antivir is just there for on-demand scanning).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 12:10:27 AM by AvastForever »

justin1278

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 12:09:53 AM »
as long as you completely disable the realtime protection and do not scan at the same time i think you should be fine.

AvastForever

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 12:12:15 AM »
Thanks

MFB

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 12:44:12 AM »
Anti Vir and avast together (with Active Guard disable of course) should be fine.  I had Anti Vir along with avast! a while ago and didn't have any problems.   :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 12:58:33 AM »
With avast you can have (without activated residents): Antivir, BitDefender (free), ClamWin, NOD32 and McAfee.
Without even installing the residents (not just disabled): AVG.
NEVER: Norton Antivirus (NAV).
The best things in life are free.