Author Topic: Problem sending big attached files  (Read 21681 times)

ricardoe

Problem sending big attached files
« on: October 21, 2005, 09:54:48 PM »
I can't send big (more than 500 k) attached files.

Outlook Express shows an smtp time out error

If I stop Avast I can send it without any problem.

I have been using Avast for several weeks without any problem sending big files.

This is also happening in my wife's computer
I have XP PRo in both computers
This problem started yesterday oct, 20th
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 09:56:54 PM by ricardoe »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Problem sending big attached files
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 10:21:19 PM »
Increase the timeout delay in OE.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 02:36:59 AM »
Increase the timeout delay in OE.
And also avast! timeout: Internet Mail provider > Customize > Advanced (tab)
The best things in life are free.

ricardoe

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 12:47:14 PM »
None of the solutions posted worked out.

Increasing   timeout delay in Outlook express didn't work. Instead o giving a time out msg after 60 seconds, it gave the msg after 120 seconds.

There is no such tab in Avast configuration (home edition):

avast! timeout: Internet Mail provider > Customize > Advanced (tab)

My problem still open. I need to stop avast to send big attached files

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 12:56:20 PM »
Yes there is! [Internet Mail provider > Customize > Advanced (tab)]
It is in the on-access control panel.

ricardoe

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 02:02:33 PM »
Finally I found the configuration panel.

I tested different configurations.
Changed email provider smtp connection time from 120 to 240 but  didn't work.

Then  I dissable outbound email scanning and worked out.

It is not the best solution but a bypass.

Thanks to everyboad  for the cooperation

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 02:09:53 PM »
You need to increase BOTH timeouts. Did you do that?

ricardoe

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 02:38:43 PM »
Increassed both: Avast to 240 and OE to 3 minutes
I know that it is not going to work immediatly after sending the email.
OE shows a green meter that fills instantly. After completition of the time out, it shows the error msg.

When it is working (with outbound email scanning disabled) the green mark is filled slowly, as the email is being transferred.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 09:25:49 PM »
The change you are seeing is a result of the way Avast works.

When Avast is not involved you see the gradual movement of the progress bar as your message is sent to your mail server.  I assume you also get a final "Message sent successfully" message or something similar.

When Avast is scanning the mail your email program is "fooled" into thinking it is talking to the server when in fact the mail is just being sent to Avast inside your system to be scanned.  Bacause this happens inside your system you see the progress bar move very quickly to 100%.

At that point Avast has scanned the message and Avast then takes over the job of sending the message blocks on to your mail server.  When Avast has finished sending it passes back the final "ok" from the mail server to you email client - which should still give you the "Message sent successfully" response.

Untortunately, OE expects to hear back from time to time from the mail server it is sending the mail to and, because of the way Avast works, it does not. So, it issues the timeout message.  It does not mean that the mail is not being sent out, it just means the OE is complaining - you can just say you wish to continue waiting  and the mail will be delivered.  Try setting OE's timeout to the maximum. 

As a matter of interest, how long does it take to send the same message when you turn off the outbound mail scanning of Avast?

DennyM

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 07:15:15 PM »
I support a friend who has a very similar problem to what is being discussed here.  She has a dialup connection and when she's attempting to send a large email that takes longer than 5 minutes (the longest timeout in Outlook) she gets the timeout error.  If she leaves it alone avast!'s mail server will send the message but Outlook never knows that it's been sent and leaves it in the outbox.

Does anyone know if there's a way to extend Outlook's timeout value beyond 5 minutes?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 07:38:40 PM »
I don't believe there is and I'm not sure if there is a way to disable/ignore the timeout check completely. When you click wait, you should get another five minutes which if it completed during that period it shuld return success and remove the email from the outbox (that assumes she did click wait).

How big was the attachment?
Can the attachment be compressed/zipped to reduce the size?
If all else fails, there is nothing to stop her using the option to temporarily disable the scan outbound email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BadBoyTazz4Ever

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 01:56:14 PM »
I also have XP Pro with Avast home edition on...

The last couple of day's i've been having trouble sending and recieving even the smallest of files!!!

I've been trying since 0930 this morning to download a 2 mail messages from my mail server (there 512kb in total), but avast keeps on giving me time outs...

I've turned off outlook provider but avast still keeps giving me the time out even though the avast provider for outlook is of! I've also boosted the time out time to 240...

One thing i have noticed is that avast's popup in the sistem try keeps on showing only 6 of 7 providers running & trust me i've terminated & started every single provider atleast twice today & it doesn't change!!!

I'm using Outlook 2003, ricardoe you're not posibly using outlook 2003 also?

This is the first time i've ever had trouble with avast! Great Program...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 02:22:57 PM »
1. are you sure it is avast giving the timeout message, this can't be possible if you have disabled the Outlook/Exchange plug-in?

2. You probably haven't got the Outlook/Exchange plug-in/provider active which is why you see 6 of 7 running. You shouldn't need the Internet Mail provider enabled unless you are using Outlook Express or other pop3 email client (which may or may not be causing the timeout if you don't require it).

3. you must have the avast plug-in enabled within outlook 2003.
Also check out the avast! - help: resident protection, Outlook/Exchange - Provider Settings

BadBoyTazz4Ever

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 04:43:23 PM »
Thanx for all the help, sofar it's been behaving since i got the mail through about 50 min ago...

Tomorow i'll attach the IMG of the timeout screen & then you can see if it's avast giving the time out or outlook!

Avast is activated under the Outlook Add-Ins!

& All 7 my providers are running (i tripple checked & it's still telling me on the system tray popup that there is only 6 running, normaly when i had outlook open it said 7 of 7 since about 3 day's ago it started saying 6 of 7 if outlook was open or not, that's also when the time out problem started...

Thanx again for all the help...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 06:16:46 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

If you don't need the Internet Mail provider e.g. you don't use another email client other than MS Outlook 2003, you can terminate it.

I don't use MS Outlook so I could be wrong, but until Outlook is running the Outlook/Exchange plug-in may be waiting and only active when Outlook is active.

You could check and see which provider hasn't started, click the avast icon and see which has just a Start button (e.g. inactive).