Author Topic: Have you heard of Flock?  (Read 89577 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Have you heard of Flock?
« on: October 23, 2005, 12:02:11 AM »
Hello avast webforum users,

We read about safer browsers here. There is a new star on the firmament, a new browser like FF but a special socializing, downloading kind of browser with special RSS features, bookmarking features etc, Read here:
http://www.decrem.com/bart/2005/10/flock-firefox-and-open-source/
Some say that the FF browser will be hit towards the end of the year by special spyware written for the Mozilla browser.
If you cannot wait to try out FLOCK: http://flock.com/developer/
Who has experience with FLOCK?

polonus
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 12:09:08 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

darkparrot

Re: Have you heard of Flock?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 04:52:38 AM »
I am going to give it a few months and see how it does before I install it on my machine. Though I am very picky about what I install anyways.

Inu-Ya

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 04:57:44 AM »
Hello avast webforum users,

We read about safer browsers here. There is a new star on the firmament, a new browser like FF but a special socializing, downloading kind of browser with special RSS features, bookmarking features etc, Read here:
http://www.decrem.com/bart/2005/10/flock-firefox-and-open-source/
Some say that the FF browser will be hit towards the end of the year by special spyware written for the Mozilla browser.
If you cannot wait to try out FLOCK: http://flock.com/developer/
Who has experience with FLOCK?

polonus
So, this is a browser that is in testing? Cool, However I'll try it out. I see how it is. Looks pretty old and simple.

neal62

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 05:43:11 PM »
Polonus,

I have installed "Flock" and have had no problems with it crashing or rendering sites. So Far it looks to be a rather interesting browser. Just thought I would let you know.  :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 01:12:16 AM »
Hi my friend neal63,

I write this to you inside Flock Developer Preview,

I have installed the Adblock there, hope I can install the Dr Web hyperlink there soon, somebody make it for this browser, or I give it a try.

polonus

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 11:27:16 PM »
Hello Flockers,

We are trying to bring Dr. Web plug-in to the Flock browser for extra security. Adblock and NoScript is already ported. In the options you have good possibilities to tweak Flock 0.5pre to be safer still. Polonus is on security for Flock. Lets see what an open sociable browser needs, Flock specially for blogging and feeds needs? But for the heavy work Firefox with the preferenches toolbar.  We will see what the Flock browser will develop to?

greets,

polonus

neal62

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 12:05:16 AM »
Just want to mention that I am still using "Flock" as my primary browser in everything I am doing. Haven't had any crashes or problems as of yet with this developers version. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I believe it definitely has good possibilities.  :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 12:06:51 AM by neal63 »

crofty59

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 09:17:05 AM »
Yes i have been tryting Flock off and on now for a couple of days.
I like it.

Just wondering how you would add Flock to Avast so that it worked with Web Shield.

I know I read once here how to add a browser but I have searched but cannot find it

I am not very literate with computers, but I try.

If this is off topic sorry.
Cheers.   ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 11:10:22 PM »
Hi crofty59,

It is a bit like in FF, see the instruction for this browser on the Avast page. For Flock go to options, then to general and then to connection settings and then you know what to do.

For a pick of new ported extensions go to: http://ehoffmann.blogsome.com/200

Firefox and Flock in all safety and malware free,

your anti-malware friend,

polonus

Mastertech

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 04:16:53 AM »
This browser is all hype. How many people really use: Flickr, Technorati and del.icio.us? The google toolbar has built-in blogging not that anyone really uses those features either. Considering it is based on Firefox, it's security is the same. Firefox Security Vulnerabilities.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 10:42:02 AM »
I can't understand your vehement anti-Firefox attitude, Mastertech. Not because of security issues: I agree MS have done a good job of securing IE under XP SP2. The reason is that you have the W3C validation logo on your own excellent web pages. You must therefore believe in standards for web page code. Yet you must know that IE is not standard compliant. Write a web page in W3C HTML ot with a standards compliant program like Dreamweaver, and the page often doesn't display correctly in IE: you have to add work-arounds for the IE bugs.

I see on your own forum page you go on at length about how Firefox does not render IE pages correctly. Surely there's a conflict here. IE does not render pages correctly because they use non-standard IE features. Other standards-compliant browsers render well written, standards-compliant pages (like your own) perfectly well. It is only amateurish pages written without cross platform testing that do not display correctly.

Everybody should get at least one standards-compliant browser and use it: Firefox, Opera, Flock. See what web pages look like with a standards-compliant browser, check that your own pages render correctly. The more people that use a standards-compliant browser, the more pressure MS will come under to comply with the W3C standards.

Give Flock a go, if not Firefox or the excellent new free Opera!

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Mastertech

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 01:32:17 PM »
I am telling you Frank I don't speak in riddles. I don't have a problem with Firefox, it is a decent web browser. I do have a BIG problem with Firefox evangelists who outright are deceptive and lie to get people to use Firefox. I find pages weekly that do not render right in any browser except IE or one of it's mods like Avant. I don't have time for that. I personally use Opera 50% of the time but it chokes on pages weekly. This is unacceptable and thus cannot be recommended.

I make this clear on my page:

If you choose to use or recommend Firefox please understand and explain its limitations

You guys want to go fight Microsoft have fun. I am not here to give advice based on some personal animosity towards Microsoft. I am here to give advice that works. I understand why pages do and do not render properly. People really don't care. They only care if the page renders correctly.

FYI I write pages standards compliant so they work in all browsers including IE.

Firefox evangelists hate this page: Web Sites That Don't Work Well With Firefox

Guess what get over it, it is the truth.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 01:34:44 PM by Mastertech »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 03:51:52 PM »
Hello Mastertech,

- Why you always have to step in to defend IE and Microsoft against, yes against what? Everybody like to use IE, but there are certain aspects of it, that does not please some, and goes well with every "power user". That is why there are browsers like Opera, luckily now ad free, and of course Firefox and the new "hype"as you call it: Flock.

- How can you tell these things about a browser that is just a developer's release, and has very intelligent and very able coders backing it. Flock is building on the shoulders of FF,
how can FF be Okay, and Flock cannot. It is just a hype, and maybe you hope it will soon blow over. Some even say the builders were drunk most of the time while building this browser. Why they use this alandering techniques against a couple of crafty young programmers in CaliforniA.

- Oh I know RSS is a hype, podcasting is a hype, AdSense may be a hype because it is Google's, well ActiveX was a hype too, but crawled out of the sandbox all the time. Flock, they are taking aboard the best JavaScripters around. But my hairs are standing up, when I am doing my Flock developing, and look into my JS control for errors, and bending of rules.

- You know what is one of IE's coders best quality? Yes bending the rules to please as large a public as possible, webmaster, developer and end-user alike. It is as with cooks, many fingers in the pot, in this case the code.. And then it is very cheap to say that others who abide by the majority of standards, are not doing it right because this code sauce is not giving the right results. Every browser has holes. And luckily for the Redmond boys some of them were not found up as until to-day. Open Software is always more vulnerable because everybody is invited to find things in order to improve it.

- Then again Frank does not speak in riddles, and I value his knowledge of Java and scripting very much.

- We are people who have read all the Deitel and Deitel, and not only keep it on the bookshelf. We have made dictionairies of weak cgi scripting to use in browser like applications to establish for ourselves what lousy code is used around.

- Well in an ideal world your story is different, but this is not. And again I would like to see IE gives users the possibilties to do with the browser what the preference bar does for FF and Flock. Can you change color code to render a page as you like it, and not as the webmaster or adman wants it to show? No. Can you build filters to filter webbugs from pixel to nothingness. No, again. I would not like to propagate these things, if I was to follow that policy. Chained coding, surf with your hands on your back. We decide what is good for you. What is arrogance??? Look here:
http://secunia.com/search/?search=Internet+Explorer&w=0greets, and that is just a historical survey.

polonus
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 04:22:46 PM by polonus »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 03:53:08 PM »
Pages that render [Edit: incorrectly] in Firefox are rare, and a good webdesigner should write code that works in all browsers, as you do yourself.

The Web Standard code you support on your site is not implemented correctly by IE:

http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html

My own website contains a work-around for a known bug, so I also understand why pages do and don't render correctly.

I have no problem with Microsoft.

It's the truth.

Is there such a thing as absolute truth?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 11:56:12 AM by FreewheelinFrank »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Mastertech

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 04:37:59 PM »
Polonus, try not writing everything with a propagandist twist and I will have no reason to respond.

We read about safer browsers here.

What does that comment have to do with asking people to try Flock? It has nothing but to try and tell people that Flock is "safer" then other browsers = Propaganda.

AvantBrowser has RSS support but I don't see everyone begging for it. People care about a few things. Pop-up Blocking, Tabbed Browsing and integrated search. The features in Flock no one outside the evangelists really care about.

Seriously,
Do you see millions of people complaining web browsers do not have: Flickr, Technorati, del.icio.us, podcasting, blogging support or even RSS? No.

The niche people that care about podcasts use iTunes or another third party podcasting app.

Another stupid thing about Flock is it renames Bookmarks to Favorites? That makes no sense.

Both of your comments about everything come from an idealist's perspective. I'm a realist.

Here is a tip: End users don't care about how or why a page was coded. They only care how it renders and functions. Spreading propaganda to get users to use a certain browser to make YOUR life easier is dishonest.

Is there such a thing as absolute truth?
What are you Socrates now? Read the link.

Why do you guys go into long offtopic rants and always redirect the conversation?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 04:52:28 PM by Mastertech »