Author Topic: Have you heard of Flock?  (Read 89804 times)

Inu-Ya

Re: Have you heard of Flock?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 04:47:51 PM »
I'm back! I like Flock more then I do FireFox. However, I still use FireFox for the mean time cause I'm awaiting on more skins to be supported. I'm a Maxthon users but I like messing around with other browsers.

neal62

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 06:40:59 PM »
Well I will add my opinion of things being discussed here. I chose, was not forced to try the new browser "flock". I personally like it. It does render pages for me just fine. Also it recognizes a codec that allows a user to listen to streaming music etc. I chose not to use Apple Quick Time plugin for Firefox, Mozilla etc for reasons of my own. Now with this choice located at http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm
I found that "Flock" likes it, no problems using this codec.
   The main discussion started in this thread was "Here is a new browser called "flock", has anyone else tried it. That's what the topic started off as. All this other pro and con stuff concerning "flock" vs. I.E. or Microsoft is useless IMO. Most Internet users out of Ignorance (lack of knowledge), do not care about W3C standards, don't even know what they are. They just want to be able to view web pages with the least amount of problems. Lack of problems viewing things with MOST people is what sells a product. They are not technically inclined, most will state they don't want to be that way. So if anyone in this thread is employed/has been employed by Microsoft that doesn't impress anyone if this should be the case?
    For an individual to "imply", suggest they are all knowing compared to the norm of the forum here is senseless. Once again this topic was all about "flock", it's availability to the general public and if anyone else other than the author of this thread had used it or not.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 06:59:42 PM »
[Edit: Re thread before last one:] Trying to lock people into using IE by talking nonsense about 15% of web pages not rendering properly is equally propaganda, and a contradictory attitude from somebody who has taken care to make their own web page non-browser dependent.

Propaganda against alternative browsers is as bad as any propaganda for them.

I've been using an alternative browser for a year or so, and can count the pages that don't render on the fingers of, well, two fingers.

I'm being honest about it: IE doesn't support web standards, the standards which you support by having the W3C logo on your pages. You can't have it both ways, either you support the standards or you don't. IE's bugs make my life harder, but that's not why I recommend an alternative browser. I recommend an alternative browser because I want to see all browsers render all pages correctly.

I'm not interested in your link. There is no absolute truth, except in your world Mastertech. The truth according to Mastertech. Here endeth the lesson.

Why do you guys go into long offtopic rants and always redirect the conversation?

You came to this thread to redirect it to one of your personal hobby-horses, i.e. Firefox.

This browser is all hype. How many people really use: Flickr, Technorati and del.icio.us? The google toolbar has built-in blogging not that anyone really uses those features either. Considering it is based on Firefox, it's security is the same. Firefox Security Vulnerabilities.

Neal, I apologise for the diversion. I brought up W3C as an argument to support the use of a browser like Flock.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 11:46:49 AM by FreewheelinFrank »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 10:09:04 PM »
Hi neal63,

I agree with you that most common users of browsers are not interested in what kind of browser they use. Habitual users just want a click a hyperlink and this must function. What is the story behind IE coming to its present position, does not interest most.
How the browser war was won against Netscape.
A more basic thing is that I appreciate it I have the possibility to do with a browser what I like. That is also a reason. Only these kind of programs (this kind of free open code open source software) you can "reverse engineer", build into the browser what you like, develop new things for. I like for instance in Flock that there is a program FF to Flock where you can transfer add-ons for Firefox to Flock. I did it with CookieCuller that is now working in Flock.
I want a browser that I can code in such a way that I can keep out of my browser who and what I want to keep out, cookie, ad, webbug, tunneling, tracking etc. And I like to invite in my browser what I want: RSS, streaming media, blogging, socializing, StumbleUpon, the scanning I allow (scanner add-ons and plug-ins). If you give all that up, because of functionality and over-bloatedness, that is the freedom of those that do not want to think further. I will feel very sorry if the free open software will disappear, because of fixed code.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

neal62

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 10:28:40 PM »
F.W. Frank and others,

Thank You. No apology needed. My comments were intended for other than you folks. I am sure you understand.  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 10:44:14 PM by neal63 »

Mastertech

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2005, 01:45:29 AM »
Trying to lock people into using IE by talking nonsense about 15% of web pages not rendering properly is equally propaganda, and a contradictory attitude from somebody who has taken care to make their own web page non-browser dependent.
No it is a fact. Lots of pages do not render correctly. How my page is coded does not change this fact.

Propaganda against alternative browsers is as bad as any propaganda for them.
Propaganda is bad either way. Informing people is not.

I've been using an alternative browser for a year or so, and can count the pages that don't render on the fingers of, well, two fingers.
Then you don't go to many pages. Here are some examples that don't work with Firefox v1.0.7:

Images do not show:
http://www.aaceupwardbound.org/

Menus do not work right:
http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_us_noflash.jsp?SITE=NA

This page completely crashes Firefox:
http://www.jordans-online.co.uk/usedcars.aspx

I'm not interested in your link.
Ignore facts, it is the only way you can continue the argument.

You came to this thread to redirect it to one of your personal hobby-horses, i.e. Firefox.
I came to this thread because Polonus insists upon spreading misinformation. Again what does "We read about safer browsers here" have to do with Flock?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 01:50:12 AM by Mastertech »

Mastertech

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2005, 01:52:48 AM »
The main discussion started in this thread was "Here is a new browser called "flock", has anyone else tried it. That's what the topic started off as.
I am begining to think I am the only one noticing how Polonus injects BS into all his posts to push his anti-Microsoft stance.

neal62

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2005, 02:57:19 AM »
"Ignore facts, it is the only way you can continue the argument."?. Is this what you seem to relish on is arguments? Your so called facts are not necessarily true facts to others, just from your perspective. You come into the forum this month like "gang busters", seem to get into as you call them "arguments" and imply that you and only your opinion (not facts) are the only "politically correct" ones. You talk about another member spreading BS here in the forum, to me thats on the verge of flaming if not flaming. I believe you need to take a long look at some of what your saying when you post and really realize that your statements while possibly being true to you are not necessarily the only option of others here.

Mastertech

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2005, 03:16:17 AM »
No Neal I backup what I say with links and proof. There is nothing politically correct about computers, computers a pure logic.

talk about another member spreading BS here in the forum, to me thats on the verge of flaming if not flaming.
No comments like this are BS: "We read about safer browsers here" <-Why is this comment in a topic about Flock or "I want a browser that I can code in such a way that I can keep out of my browser who and what I want to keep out, cookie, ad, webbug, tunneling, tracking etc" <-You can do this with any browser. Misinforming end users is propaganda and BS. It is one thing not liking Microsoft or IE, it is another thing making things up to promote your point of view.

The only people continuing to argue against my points are those who either are A. Proven Wrong or B. Refuse to test or provide proof of their claims.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 03:19:42 AM by Mastertech »

neal62

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2005, 03:52:33 AM »
You seem to miss my point or are you just evading my previous question:
"Is this what you seem to relish on is arguments"? Now, would you like to answer that or go into your evasion mode? I am not going to waste any more of my time discussing what my opinion of this senseless fillibustering your enjoying.
     You obviously think that your opinions are the only correct ones, no one is going to question them, and "I wonder" if your so conceited that you can't see the forest for the trees? You continue on at your little hearts desire and see what it will accomplish for you. End of my discussion concerning you as your now put into my Delete mode.

Mastertech

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 04:15:25 AM »
Neal, I like to give people correct, honest information that can be tested or backed up with sources. They are not opinions. The FACT that you keep trying to say they are is propaganda. What I see you guys do is be unable to separate your personal feelings for Microsoft or whatever else is on your agenda from the facts. You don't analyze - you assume, misinterpret, jump to conclusions and misinform.

As for arguments, they are necessary when people do not understand something.

Lets get some other FACTS straight that Frank has tried to manipulate;

My Opinion:
Firefox is a decent Web Browser but I cannot stand the evangelists and those who recommend it as a spyware solution.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 04:42:32 AM by Mastertech »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 05:17:09 AM »
Neal,
"Ignore facts, it is the only way you can continue the argument."?. Is this what you seem to relish on is arguments?
Mastertech at least has facts. Most of your stuff is fiction or old info. As far as argument's go, I can't point out many that you've started especially when you think you've got some help.
I don't understand why all this talent is being wasted on arguments instead of using all this knowledge helping those that are in need of help ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

neal62

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2005, 05:21:58 AM »
This is the only response you will get from me. I have written you off as I would a "sugar ant". I know they exist, that they must have some sort of purposefull reason for existence. In your case I haven't figured out why your around. Have a nice day.

Inu-Ya

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2005, 06:16:26 AM »
Stop fighting over such a stupid topic. Gzzz.... Just stop it you two. Go on in life and forget about it  :-\

galooma

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2005, 06:20:38 AM »
tryin to get another forum shut down bob?