Author Topic: Have you heard of Flock?  (Read 89579 times)

darkparrot

Re: Have you heard of Flock?
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2005, 04:34:19 AM »
Why does this stuff always happen, bah I am tired of it.

Inu-Ya

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2005, 05:20:07 AM »
I know right  ::)

Umath

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2005, 05:35:06 AM »
I think what Microsoft consider as a threat is Google not directly Mozilla.  IE 7 will be more user-friendly but users unlikely expect Google friendly functions.  I haven't installed Flock but I presume that it is intended to be freer from the politics between commercial companies.  As a user, I'm rather happy with having alternatives and keep an eye to what the huge companies are doing.  However, fighting against a certain company or organization is not in my support for my favorite browsers.  My support for them is just to use them and thank people who are involved in developing them.

PS
Why does this stuff always happen, bah I am tired of it.
Employment of skimming technique would be quite handy. ;)

neal62

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2005, 09:28:19 AM »
Polonus,

I am not sure if your aware of additional Extensions for "Flock". There are quite of few of them HERE if you would like to check them out. The weather extension also works fine as does CookieCuller.  :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2005, 02:06:53 PM »
Hi neal63,

Thank you, I have the CookieCuller installed my friend. I only am suspicious of tracking cookies, especially third party cookies are blocked, and a privacy cookie policy is needed, because cookies govern webbugs and webbug tracking. Malicious sites are blocked (anti-spyware programs and other means), the browser does not even contact those. As you and I  are the ones that use this browser, here are some technical data of the Flock pre 0.5: - this  browser has all the University of Florida standard qualifications a modern browser should have. FGU technology is good, it is a  win32 netscape 4.0 Window en-US type, localhost with the avast-webshield pops up as "your IP 127.0.0.1." which  is safe. color depth is 16 bit, best appreciated in thousand color + , colors 65536, res. 800 x 600 max 800 x 572, java en, anti-aliasing fonts no, displaying frames all-right, Java Applets if allowed OK, XMLHttpRequest supported for feed.xml. Browser is general password protected, all other passwords are guarded by this. These things you remember for friendly webmasters. This browser is not as vulnerable for holes as mentioned in parasite.js see: http://www.computersecuritytools.com/

greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 02:38:09 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Umath

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2005, 03:38:32 PM »
Polonus,

I am not sure if your aware of additional Extensions for "Flock". There are quite of few of them HERE if you would like to check them out. The weather extension also works fine as does CookieCuller.  :)
Actually, the site has been already quoted by polonus himself.  He seems to have made a quite lot of research on the browser.
For a pick of new ported extensions go to: http://ehoffmann.blogsome.com/200

However, to be honest, I am yet convinced to install Flock on my system.  One thing I don't like about Mozilla apps is that they leave rubbishes in registry, which I am not proficient with.  Only exception I found so far is my primary browser.  Unfortunately, though, it is available only with a minor language.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2005, 05:13:23 PM »
Hi Umath,

In Flock you can go to tools, options, to general, to cache and set the max cache size there. in Flock you can empty your cache there with one click. Easy peasy. Enjoy Flock, my friend, give it feedback and make it even safer. If you decide to use it get the Adblock and NoScript extensions installed, this definitely makes Flock safer to use. And if you have IE as second browser have this always fully updated and patched of course just  in  case of cross-vulnerabilities. But this goes for every alternate browser- ergo see to it that IE is safe first. For reg rubbish use RegSeeker 1.45, free for personal use, get it at:
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 05:51:48 PM by polonus »

Umath

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2005, 04:32:57 AM »
In Flock you can go to tools, options, to general, to cache and set the max cache size there. in Flock you can empty your cache there with one click. Easy peasy. Enjoy Flock, my friend, give it feedback and make it even safer. If you decide to use it get the Adblock and NoScript extensions installed, this definitely makes Flock safer to use.

Oh, my current browser is quite competent and similar functions already through scripts and some more features such as group tabs.  Also, it starts much faster than Firefox by not using XUL for the interface.  Ad as one of promising projects, I'll keep an eye on Flock as well, though (GPL is an interesting attempt).  At least, it is not officially released yet.

And if you have IE as second browser have this always fully updated and patched of course just  in  case of cross-vulnerabilities. But this goes for every alternate browser- ergo see to it that IE is safe first.  For reg rubbish use RegSeeker 1.45, free for personal use, get it at:
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

???  Which OS are you using?  WindowsXPSP2 has default automatic update function (although I turned it off and check the update once a week or so) and any decent IE alternative has quick access to security setting.  In fact, this forum has users of Greenbrowser and Maxthon.  IMO, the major appeal of Mozilla alternatives are their customizability trough scripts and/or extensions.

Thanx for RegSeeker, though.   I was using free version of JVPowertools and EasyCleaner.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 11:04:17 AM by Umath »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2005, 04:45:42 PM »
Well Umath,

At work I have XP Pro SP2 fully patched. I see FF and later when it is further developed Flock too as browsers for people that are left in the cold when older platforms are not officially supported (since 2002 and later also Win2xxx). That is not good for all the small businesses around in the world that still run older platforms. A lot of programmers don't even write with older Win platforms in mind. After IE 6.0 a lot of people in the (third) world are left with no alternative. Flock is faster and more secure as FF.
Yesterday I adopted Nukeanything from a FF extension to a Flock one with a special program FF to Flock, it is already up and running in the browser. The browser Flock is not for the faint hearted because it is a developer version, but I cannot say I have met any hick-up as to now. Gave some feedback on a couple of objects that were not rendered properly on one site, and I see a lot of JS misspellings on sites. That is all,

polonus

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2005, 05:45:55 PM »
I find all the innovations in browsing very appealing. I've been using IE ( 6.0.2900.2180 ) on XPpro sp2  recently and found that it's a lot more secure than even 6 months ago. Healthy competition is good  for us all though , so having new browsers being developed can only be good. Software isn't my forte`, so reading other's experiences here very educational. A good debate is cool too,  8) ! Get's pretty passionate at times though   ???

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2005, 08:12:46 PM »
Hi Abraxas and Neal63,

I have found that without further ado you can transport searchplugins in Firefox to Flock. No problems all work like with ConQuery. I run 24 searchplugins in Flock now. Just to let you know. Flock not for the fainthearted, because it is still only a developer's release, but I cannot say a bad word about it. To me better than FF, faster, and more secure. Now testing the rendering of pages at the WannaBrowser site.

greets,

polonus

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2005, 08:40:42 PM »
"...Software isn't my forte`..."
polonus:
"...Just to let you know. Flock not for the fainthearted, because it is still only a developer's release, but I cannot say a bad word about it..."
I've only just finished cleaning every remnant of" Mozilla" /" Firefox" from my system . It took me 6 hours  ;D :o
Plus figuring the Administrative rights for Win XP pro  :P , and I'm so pleased to have Firefox installed and running again !  ;D ;D ;D I'm feeling a bit  " fainthearted " , but Flock really seems to be going ahead in leaps & bounds polonus.  ;) It's on my "To Do " list in the distant future. Your really enjoying tweaking it up I can tell !  ;D

A happy camper  :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2005, 08:57:06 PM »
Hi Abraxas,

Yes, I am glad you are feeling that way. I have not experienced a lot of problems with FF (not after 1.07) and none with Flock lately. There are still hoards of bugs in the new Vista and IE look here for a sneak peak of what the beta testers found: http://www.thehotfix.net/bugs.html.
So while waiting to see the dust cleared up there, and the new SP3 for XP Pro, with the other platforms, I give Flock a chance.
Well of course browser security is also a form of being aware. Install Adblocking, Cookie Management (CookieCuller), NoScript (inviting script only at times you feel it is welcome). Use SpywareGuide.com as search engine to find malware.
Do not invite toolbars, only Preference bar, which is a very good tool to make all sort of security settings.

greetings,

polonus

« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 08:59:17 PM by polonus »

Umath

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2005, 03:03:07 AM »
Abraxas, I think you made a wise choice by waiting and letting polonus and other experienced users polish up things.  According to what polonus wrote so far, non-beta version is not so distant future, I think.

I have read of your experience with mess left from Mozilla in another thread.  If only the browser I mentioned (a kind of registry free Mozilla alternative) had English version I could recommend it.  I wonder if there is a way to improve un-installation of Mozilla apps.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2005, 03:11:35 AM »
Adblocking
Which one do you use?

Cookie Management (CookieCuller)
Anything for IE (or Maxthon) that you recommend?

NoScript
And for IE?

Thanks...
The best things in life are free.