Author Topic: Have you heard of Flock?  (Read 89817 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Have you heard of Flock?
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2005, 08:34:20 PM »
Hi boys,

Just stay on topic. The thread took a lot of comment and I am glad. When I did a deep survey of the upcoming new Flock browser, a promishing new offspring of the FF line, and a lot better in my opinion, mainly stability wise, I am glad with all the response from people that use it, like Neal, and others that are interested what it will be when officially launched. I learned more about browser security since Oct. 23rd when I downloaded the code then I would expect. Why they want their own way of add-ons, why they are different from FF.  Security discussions on migrating things into Flock. Because it is an open socializing blog browser, the security therefore must be much more strict. Tracking OK but only when you allow it.
The bookmarking scenario is completely different, but the information it gives back to you is much more according your personal needs, and still not invading. If a PrefBar would come into Flock I would not easily go away. You will hear from me folks, and Bob and Tech be good to  each other,

greets,

polonus

PS Look inside Flock you can now download the 0.5 10 build
neatly over your existing version, no changes to all your previous settings, seamless.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 11:51:26 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

neal62

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2005, 08:39:28 AM »
This new build working well for me.  :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2005, 04:02:31 PM »
Hi Flock preview 2005 1021 testers,

It is a good thing for any browser user  to get a root certificate. For Flock get it here: https://getca.verisign.com/update.html
It is from Verisign and is fingerprinted.  Fine new add-on is ChromeEdit to add User Files, and "Linkification" to convert text links into genuine, clickable links.

greets,

polonus

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2005, 07:54:48 PM »
Hi Flocker developers,

Extensions ported for Flock are growing in numbet. One of them is Alt-Text for Links: see
http://roachfiend.com/archives/2005/03/03/alt-text-for-links/

Flock has appeared to be a very stable browser,

greets,

polonus

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2005, 03:42:11 PM »
Hi Flock preview 0.5 users,

If you want to spoofcheck on loaded pages go here for the bookmarklet, drag it to a second browser bar.
You can find it here:
http://blog.kevindonahue.com/archives/2003/12/help_prevent_spoofed.php#001346

Your browser is again a bit safer. In FF you can get spoofstick as an add-on. Always carry a spoofstick around.

Furthermore I have put Flock on the grid with Chris Pederick Web Developer Extension. Just installs this toolbar as for Firefox, installs into Flock without further ado. This is also great security wise for the Disable functions  there. So no more referrer logging.

greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 08:56:56 PM by polonus »

mikedallos

« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2005, 10:08:56 PM »
Hi Flock preview 0.5 users,

If you want to spoofcheck on loaded pages go here for the bookmarklet, drag it to a second browser bar.
You can find it here:
http://blog.kevindonahue.com/archives/2003/12/help_prevent_spoofed.php#001346

Your browser is again a bit safer. In FF you can get spoofstick as an add-on. Always carry a spoofstick around.

Furthermore I have put Flock on the grid with Chris Pederick Web Developer Extension. Just installs this toolbar as for Firefox, installs into Flock without further ado. This is also great security wise for the Disable functions  there. So no more referrer logging.

greets,

polonus

Thanks........I just got it!!

I will flock every day!!

Be well........

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2005, 12:02:21 AM »
Hi mikedallos,

Hope you like this user friendly browser.
It did not fail me once since I installed the preview 0.5, and now I am running the 11th build. I test it thoroughly.

The  forum for developers and team members resides here: http://www.flockbrowser.com/Forums

For those that join their mailing list there is a private beta version.
So I think the first beta will come out soon for ye all.
Wait what is coming out of that garage room in California.

greets,

polonus

Umath

« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2005, 07:52:39 PM »
For some oddballs like myself who are curious of Flock but don't like Mozilla products to mess with registry, and of course, people like Flock enough to go out with it, Pocket Flock, which is similar to Portable Firefox 1.5.  The site Portable Apps.com, where you can even spot portable OS, itself may interest portable device users.

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2005, 08:12:33 PM »
I'm sick of that slow ass Firefox it sometimes feels like Photoshop opens up faster(and you know that one needs a little more time to open up)...  >:( 

Damian does Flock open up any faster than Firefox?And do you happen to know if FoxyTunes(my favorite fox extension)  can be used or ported in Flock?

thanks in advance my friend

Miha

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2005, 08:15:31 PM »
For some oddballs like myself who are curious of Flock but don't like Mozilla products to mess with registry, and of course, people like Flock enough to go out with it, Pocket Flock, which is similar to Portable Firefox 1.5. 
I'm not sure that I follow if you don't like the messing with registry, isn't flock based on the Mozilla Firefox code?
So Pocket Flock and Portable Firefox are probably similarly linked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2005, 08:28:33 PM »
Hi ReVaN,

Yes Flock is considerably faster than FF. Allthough built after FF 1.5 x it is completely different. Good news is that Eugin Kuzin of Dr. Web made the Dr. Web plug-in suitable for Flock now as well.
I like Flock as a browser better as any FF build. Also Neal63 always been on Flock from the mo it was out on the Net, and I have not heard a bad word about this browser from him in all my contactsl. And for cache items, you can be rigorous with it, go to history.dat or cookie dat. If you clean your cookie dat out with Notepad, just put it back nearly empty, and the next go it automattically starts anew loading the cookie. You can go to options and clean out the cache with one push of a button. Nightly built installs over previous ones  seamlessly, no sweat at all. Has not let me down so far, this browser, honest,

greets,

polonus

« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2005, 08:34:51 PM »
OK i'm gonna give it a go but my question about FoxyTunes extension still remains(i cannot live without that...) BTW the GUI looks very nice ;)

Umath

« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2005, 08:49:59 PM »
And do you happen to know if FoxyTunes(my favorite fox extension)  can be used or ported in Flock?

Check it here.  Still not official but there is.  Also, you will find some useful links in this thread.

I'm not sure that I follow if you don't like the messing with registry, isn't flock based on the Mozilla Firefox code?
So Pocket Flock and Portable Firefox are probably similarly linked.

Yes, Pocket Flock still relies on Portable Firefox, which tries not to make traces including registry on the host machines as little as possible.

« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2005, 08:55:08 PM »
Check it here.  Still not official but there is.  Also, you will find some useful links in this thread.

Thanks Umath this is just what i needed, i'll report back here to give my opinion on Flock once i got it installed and play with it a little..

thanks again

Revan

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2005, 03:08:37 AM »
Well to add info on the mac side of flock:

It runs, about the same as IE for Mac. It is Obviously not Optimized for Altivec (aka velocity engine) and I see no universal binary to work on botth PPC and intel macs

I have sent them some links to apple's Altivec developers page and hopefuly they will improve on that
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay