Author Topic: Have you heard of Flock?  (Read 89558 times)

Inu-Ya

Re: Have you heard of Flock?
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2005, 12:05:50 AM »
Ehh... nock... nock... I'm not home today am I?!  ::)  i'm not thinking right today at all. Ok.. Ok.. on my way....  :)

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2005, 12:37:48 PM »
Wow 9 seconds to start a browser....Isn't that a little slow but that's just me i guess.I like my apps to open up as fast as possible and Flock has a start up time on my PC(that's the first time i run it) under 3 seconds.When i had Firefox installed it was 20 seconds at least(the first run that is then all the rest were considerably slower)and reinstaling it didn't fix my problem unfortunately, even Photoshop CS2 loads in 30 seconds(and we all know how resource hungry that one is) on my comp and it(Fox) got me so frustrated that i uninstalled it(that wasn't the only reason).Too bad really cause i really liked Firefox but since Polonus recommended Flock and i installed it the next day, i never looked back.The first thing i noticed about Flock are those nice shinny buttons and they looked so cool(still do of course) that they brought a smile to my face.Isn't that just great when a program brings a smile to your face? hihi  ;D Of course the simplicity of the program(Flock) and the speed make it a winner in my eyes.I'm still not gonna use it as my primary browser but when it goes "gold" it will definitely replace Maxthon on my PC as the "numero uno" browser.

P.S: Everything written above is just my humble opinion.

Cheers my forum friends,

Mikey
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 05:46:51 PM by ..::ReVaN::.. »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »
Hi ReVaN,

Yes, Miha, if you start portablle Flock from a Mem Stick it is rather slow in comparison to the normal version. This is because you have to start from DMA. There are more differences, and it is all told in the text that comes with it. When launched Flock portable is as fast loading pages as the Flock in the normal version, to my opinion even faster. But the difference is to make your Mem Stick or Flash Disk live longer, you cannot save history etc. all is flushed. But that is the same on the guest computer too, and that could be a super advantage and big benefit, my dear friend. Your settings etc. and all the add-ons can be ported to it, no sweat, and as a bonus and for security there is a good proxy built in (try a good Vietnamese proxy site is completely stealth). So different browsers versions, and just nice to have it in your pocket. Stability is the same, user friendliness too. The slightly slower start up, is just because of the way it works with the portable partition. Try the feel of the portable browser that suits your needs or the apps that works for you, and tell about it here.

polonus
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 01:27:31 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2005, 01:28:34 PM »
Polonus i don't have a problem with Flock starting slower from a usb drive that is to be expected but i had problems with Firefox starting up slowly from my SATA HDD you see?No matter what i did i couldn't fix the problem unfortunately.OK now i'm gonna go boot into Linux and set up Flock as my primary browser there hehe ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2005, 03:11:52 PM »
When i had Firefox installed it was 20 seconds atleast(the first run that is then all the rest were considerably slower)and reinstaling it didn't fix my problem unfortunately
For me, this is the major drawback of Firefox: when you have a problem, only uninstalling and install again  :P

Since Polonus recomended Flock and i installed it the next day and i never looked back.
Me too. Nice recommendation of Polonus.

Ofcourse the simplicity of the program(Flock) and the speed make it a winner in my eyes.I'm still not gonna use it as my primary browser but when it goes "gold" it will definetly replace Maxthon on my PC as the "numero uno" browser.
For me, Maxthon is better yet because of features and tab browsing possibilities.
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2005, 02:29:22 PM »
Hi Tech,

As far as known now, Flock will be out of the preview version and  new version launched  coming January, February.

polonus

« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2005, 05:48:43 PM »
As far as known now, Flock will be out of the preview version and new version launched coming January, February.

That is very good news :)

neal62

« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2005, 06:27:13 PM »
Flock is STILL my primary browser here. I really enjoy using it.  :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2006, 06:39:47 PM »
Hello you Happy Flockers,

Want your Flock shine with the plug-ins of choice, here is a list of official/unofficial add-ons:
http://adminid.com/flock/

greets,

polonus

neal62

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2006, 04:34:07 AM »
Thanks Polonus, will check these out.  :)

Staind

« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2006, 05:11:14 AM »
Excellent program.

« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »
As far as known now, Flock will be out of the preview version and new version launched coming January, February.

Well it's January Damian.... Are there any dates set for the "gold" release yet?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2006, 05:36:34 PM »
Hi M,

Well I heard it through the grape vine, from one of the developers, that they wanted to present the first public version towards the end of January or somewhere in February. But it could also be like Bart Decrem said that it never comes out, taht they kill the project, which I doubt actually. Just be patient, and we will find out. I still think it was one of the user-friendliest browsers I ever touched. Well things have to be done there, like scripts in XLB controls from web content continue to run even when Javascript is disabled, a default thing there, but patched with MFSA 2005-46.

Greets,

polonus aka D

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2006, 05:51:30 PM »
Flock Project - shut down ? Sounds no good at all...

I mean, they've got a million bucks to develop that project... where is the problem ?  ???  ::) Unbelievable... at least one browser that was promissing, and now all that drops in water ?

Oh well, IE7 is going to be something you all will use as your default browser, just wait and see... I mentioned similar thing about Kerio will not be shut down, no one believed... and what we see today ? Kerio lives... and I am sure they will continue developing and improving it (hopefully, remove all those bugs and issues Kerio is having right now)...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2006, 12:08:00 AM »
Hi Tesla,

Don't jump to conclusions. This could be a joke by Decrem's, these coders cannot be taken serious here, well they can be taken serious by delivering a very good job of making a stable browser. No Flock is far from dead in the water, it will be launched. Just as you said, why invest into something that will not be launched. have a little patience, Flock is being improved.