Author Topic: Suddenly Having Issues Running Avast! on Windows 7  (Read 6939 times)

REDACTED

Suddenly Having Issues Running Avast! on Windows 7
« on: May 02, 2015, 12:02:04 AM »
Avast! Internet Security

Problems:
  • Avast! Dashboard says YOU ARE UNPROTECTED! Says Avast background service is not running and Firewall is turned off. I click "Resolve All". Windows 7 box pops up asking me, "Do you want the following program to be able to make changes to your computer?" I say "Yes". Nothing happens. Same issue when I attempt to resolve individually.
  • Avast! Dashboard, Account tab. I attempt to sign in to my Account. Error box says, "We could not connect your device to your Avast Account. Please, try again later." Log out button exists. Press log out button. Try to sign in again. Get error box. Rinse and repeat.
  • Attempt to update virus definitions. Error box says, "Failed to update. The Avast service is not running". Refer to bullet #1.
  • Attempt to uninstall Avast Internet Security altogether so I can reinstall it. Error box says, "The exception unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) occurred in the application at location 0x7510c42d." Will not let me uninstall. Ran sfc scannow in the command prompt. No integrity issues found.

Help?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Suddenly Having Issues Running Avast! on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 12:12:49 AM »
Your avast! installation has become corrupt:

You need to perform a clean install:

Note: It's important you used the stub online installer from the one I linked.. NOT the offline one.

Note: You need to be ONLINE during this install (online installer works in all cases whereas offline sometimes doesn't)

1.Download your version of avast! and the avastclear tool:

Avast Free Antivirus
Avast Pro Antivirus
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier

Download Avast Clear Tool

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #3]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear. [Running Avastclear is normal mode will give a prompt to go into Safe Mode]
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

Free: If you have the Free version, register the product for free for a year from the avast! UI.
Paid: If you have a paid license, insert the license key/activation code after the reboot at stage 6.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It's better to ask than make a mistake and start over again with the process.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 04:28:10 AM »
OK, tried this method and am reinstalling. This caused me 2 new issues which i had to resolve. 1 - The avastclear program is not compatible with windows 7 64 - I tried several times. Finally let microsoft do the work and still had incompatible program as result. Secondly, this caused my PC to reboot every time in safe mode, with no way to stop it, since avastclear somehow changes my boot parameters and checks off "boot in safe mode" for every reboot. Took me a while to have to figure out that I then had to go to start>>msconfig.exe>> boot tab and UNCHECK boot in safe mode (while in safe mode).

Got to admit, the 3 hours time I wasted "fixing" my broken product, again, after a failed update is beginning to become inexcusable. Monetarily, I lost easily $90-120 in lost time, and seriously makes me consider that a program that I pay for both costs me money to purchase, and then costs me more in lost work money/time.

Not to mention the headache of trying to figure out what this solution broke (looping safemode due to avastclear).

I appreciated the advice, but it only cause me a second headache until I figured it out.

UPDATE -
OKOK - so now Ive wasted the 3 hours to do what was mentioned above, then fixed the secondary problems it caused -   this did not work either. Still having the same issue as stated by the 1st person who posted. Im waiting 1 more day, then uninstalling and goin g back to AVG or AVIRA.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 04:34:52 AM by jbrother31111 »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:47:15 AM »
Hi  jbrother31111,

Is it possible you had either AVG or Avira installed prior to installing avast!  Did you uninstall either?

Link to completely remove left-over remnants of old a/v programs here:  https://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Seems possible left-over drivers from old a/v's are still running and conflicting with your avast install:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/186533/is-it-bad-to-run-multiple-antivirus-programs/?p=1046121

Sound like your situation?

Please use the link provided by SingularLabs to provide a clean working environment for avast or any other antivirus program to operate within.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 08:17:13 PM »
Hi,

No, I did not have any previous software installed - Ive been a paying customer of Avast for 3-4 yrs now.

I wonder why this is all necessary? I mean, I should have just left the previous version running. I usually wait a few days to update to new versions of software - for exactly this reason. I don't have time to uninstall, search for remnants, reinstall, ect...

Seems like a very poorly executed update release - as this is obviously causing many people the same issue.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 08:27:50 PM »
avastclear sure is compatible with Windows 7 64 bit.
It seems that you have more problems with your windows installation and/or installed software.
I suggest to follow the instructions and let us have a look at things:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0