Author Topic: Does Avast scan all files after install?  (Read 2052 times)

REDACTED

Does Avast scan all files after install?
« on: May 02, 2015, 05:27:12 AM »
Does Avast scan all files after install?
I install Avast on my PC and look like Avast try to scan all files in all drives which I don't want Avast do it.

Anyone can tell me that Avast try to scan all files in all drives?
Can I limit Avast to scan only file I or and download, or the virus that is in active operation?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Does Avast scan all files after install?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »
Hi lifemirror,

Every new fresh install of avast! starts with a preliminary scan to ensure your system is not infected.  It scans key areas limited basically to windows system files and is not an extensive scan at all.  It usually finishes this scan in around one minute.

The only scan available that does what you are talking about is the full scan, and that is user-initiated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antivirus_software#Real-time_protection  Please read what real-time protection is.

What version of avast installed?

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

Re: Does Avast scan all files after install?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »
Hi mchain,

I install free version to test the program before make decision.
But it scan all drive after installed, I dont want it do that but I dont know how to stop it.

Thanks,
Lifemirror

Hi lifemirror,

Every new fresh install of avast! starts with a preliminary scan to ensure your system is not infected.  It scans key areas limited basically to windows system files and is not an extensive scan at all.  It usually finishes this scan in around one minute.

The only scan available that does what you are talking about is the full scan, and that is user-initiated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antivirus_software#Real-time_protection  Please read what real-time protection is.

What version of avast installed?