Author Topic: Avast block websites by category  (Read 3294 times)

REDACTED

Avast block websites by category
« on: April 29, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »
Hi Avast

I have a UTM Firewall with a web security module. Now this web security module have a option to block by categories = Adult, Malicious. online ads,.... So if a user goes to a website that is part of a specific category then it will show it has been blocked. It will make life easier for everybody if Avast build that function into the Avast Anti Virus client. I believe blocking websites cant allow any user from installing malicious software. If you cant access malicious website then you are safe. It should be on automatically when installing Avast, so if a user wants to access a website he/she needs to white-list that website. Most users don't have the knowledge to know what websites to stay away from -  malicious websites.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast block websites by category
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 02:49:22 PM »
why not just sett up your router (or computer) with OpenDNS  https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

How to Set Up OpenDNS on Your Home Network [Router Configuration]
http://www.groovypost.com/howto/setup-opendns-home-network-router/

http://www.guidingtech.com/3333/opendns-guide/

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:23:12 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 08:30:33 AM »
Would be nice if OpenDNS functionality was build into Avast. No extra setup needed then + when a user is using 3G or any outside internet connection then notebook would still be protected with Anti Virus. Avast would be the best Anti Virus on the market having this functionality ....well my personal opinion.....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:36:14 AM by ESRI South Africa IT »

Offline 1234ava

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 10:30:57 AM »
@ESRI
I think setting OpenDNS is better done manually.
Every router has its own interface where you can set DNS's. If you log to your router and look at the settings, you'll easily find "DNS". But every router interface is different: an antivirus program does not know all of them!
Besides, sometimes you cannot change the default DNS in the router, for instance it is fixed because your Internet provider does not want you to change it, so you need to set OpenDNS in your computer network TCP/IP properties, to override router settings.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:54:48 AM by 1234ava »

Offline 1234ava

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 10:46:49 AM »
Let me add, anyway, that even OpenDNS is not 100% protection. I use OpenDNS but Avast WebShield blocked a web site with a suspicious iframe loading some gzip.

The fact is, block lists based on a database of malicious sites are useful but need some time before a site is actually reported and added to the list. So they can not block everything, especially brand new infections.

Avast WebShield, on the contrary, (as I understand it) looks into the actual web page code and detects security risks in real time.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 12:39:51 PM »
Avast WebShield should protect users 24/7. If a user goes offsite he must still be protected. If a user goes to a website with malicious software Avast must block it. It will stop the website in it tracks and no popup will show to install software. Most users just click on a popup or website without reading and then malicious software install. At the end the user will be safe and no IT is need to resolved malicious software problems. Who wants to do come backs not me....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:46:58 PM by ESRI South Africa IT »