Author Topic: Again Windows Firewall: just need small advice [ Answered :) ]  (Read 7694 times)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Again Windows Firewall: just need small advice [ Answered :) ]
« on: October 23, 2005, 07:06:53 PM »
I.m tired of BSOD which ZA causes surfing the NET, so I've just left with default Windows Firewall. Kerio will become a history soon, Sygate is not the good choise for me too, NetWeda in most cases hangs up my system. Checked WF with several different firewall leak test and it passed them all. I think I'm secure enough, as outbound traffic control is not the most important thing. Also my ADSL routed has integrated hardware firewall. So I think I'm staying safe. Am I wrong?  :-\

Thanks guys!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 10:53:32 PM by =YLAP= »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Again Windows Firewall: just need small advice
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 07:50:27 PM »
I.m tired of BSOD which ZA causes surfing the NET, so I've just left with default Windows Firewall. Kerio will become a history soon, Sygate is not the good choise for me too, NetWeda in most cases hangs up my system. Checked WF with several different firewall leak test and it passed them all. I think I'm secure enough, as outbound traffic control is not the most important thing. Also my ADSL routed has integrated hardware firewall. So I think I'm staying safe. Am I wrong?  :-\

Thanks guys!  ;D

You would be much better if you stayed on Kerio. Trust me it's not gonna disappear just like that... I know it, and don't ask me why 'cause I can't (and I won't) say a word... but I know that Kerio is not gonna disappear just like that.

Windows SP2 firewall is just half of a protection, and the one that it gives you, you already have much better one in your hardware firewall... it checks inbound traffic and that's exactly what your hardware one is doing and it's doing it million times better... the problem is, nothing is checking your outbound connections now... Every single application that needs to connect outside and send some information, will be able to do it without even asking you...  ;)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 07:52:13 PM »
Hi =YLAP=,

Well do the test here: http://www.pcflank.com/about.htm

Most hardware firewalls have an Achilles' heel in the fact that they typically handle any traffic from the local network but outward bound as safe, which can sometimes be problematic.
Just imagine the following "likely" scenario, you visit a website and it contains a concealed program, that installs and tries to communicate with someone out on the Net. Trust me, this is not such an unlikely scenario. Remember what you can do with SKEETE (no firewall sees it). For the broadband hardware aforementioned traffic is legit, because it is coming from the inside,
the odds the right ports are being blocked are slim. And this blocking is certainly not a good one for the 1337 gamer- there so-wie-so is a problem. Software firewall have an advantage there with outbound traffic and in the case of a worm creating its own mail server. It goes without saying that a good updated AV product is a completion here you cannot miss.

Security-wise think like this: First line of defense what your ISP offers you: firewall, e-mail virus scanning and spam-scanning.
Second line of defense: your hardware router;
Third line of defense: a Personal Firewall, Anti Spyware, Anti-Virus, Anti-Trojan, Anti-Spam, Anti-Phishing and privacy software, and this is all freely available. Think of a freeware software firewall, read Clousseau report on our forum or wait for MS total inbuilt security (and be prepared to pay for it later).

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 07:56:59 PM »

Well do the test here: http://www.pcflank.com/about.htm

Done it. I think after half an hour I'll have latest kerio here, as i thing szc is right.  ;) also, it was the only one pf working without any problems.  8)

darth.mikey

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 08:04:40 PM »
[Done it. I think after half an hour I'll have latest kerio here, as i thing szc is right. ;) also, it was the only one pf working without any problems. 8)

Wise choice Paulius ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 08:05:34 PM »

Done it. I think after half an hour I'll have latest kerio here, as i thing szc is right.  ;) also, it was the only one pf working without any problems.  8)

And still one of the best. Also what Polonus just mentioned up there is so true... you'll be much better with anything else than with SP2 firewall... I'm not saying it's not good, just it's not enough.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 08:54:32 PM »
Back to NET with Kerio. I think I've made the biggest mistake, when uninstalling Kerio from my PC some time ago. Zero problems encountered during this installation.  ;D

PS I feel strange when using IE, as I had to change opera to it because of my new A4Tech KBS-8 keyboard, as 5 hot buttons (Back, Forward, Stop, Refresh, Favourites) seems are working only with IE...  :-\ I don't want to have not fully functional enchanced keyboard.  ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 09:09:29 PM »
Hi =Ylap=,

I thought you were hug and snug behind a FF browser. I have tweaked mine with the latest preferences toolbar and it is a great bastion. No colors = no colors, no referral = no referral, no Javascript= no Javascript, no Flash = no Flash, Save page in all browser versions, Clear Cache, cookie warning everything there.
Can you get that with IE, the webmasters big friend?

greets,

polonus
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 09:11:03 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 09:29:05 PM »
Nope...  :-\ But now I can control my browser with just one keyboard click and I like it.  ;D Yes, IE is not Firefox, but... I think I'll try avant browser, but I think the keyboard hot buttons won't work as it was with Maxthon.  :-\

Edit: nope. avant browser has some mirror problems with my keyboard. but now almost all hot buttons worked. except home page.  >:( So I'll use IE as it offers maximum compatibility to my A4Tech kbrd.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 10:47:31 PM by =YLAP= »

XtremeKirby

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 10:47:21 PM »
Hello YLAP,

If you still want to use ZA, you could use the previous version prior to the current one.

ZA version 6.631.003

I had the exact same problem as you did, and the old version seems to have done the trick.

Try it and see what you think. I'm hoping for another build of ZA to come out that would fix this problem.  ;)

Thanks
XKirby

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 10:51:56 PM »
I have it on my cd's.  ;D But I think I don't need it for a while... For a long while...  ;D It should be very serious reason forcing me to change Kerio again.  8) Smooth, fast and zero problems as in the old good times. I hope ZA will fix that ugly blue bug as it drived me crazy!  >:(

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 12:21:19 AM »
Hi =Ylap=,

I thought you were hug and snug behind a FF browser. I have tweaked mine with the latest preferences toolbar and it is a great bastion. No colors = no colors, no referral = no referral, no Javascript= no Javascript, no Flash = no Flash, Save page in all browser versions, Clear Cache, cookie warning everything there.
Can you get that with IE, the webmasters big friend?

greets,

polonus

You can if you use the right IE based browser and there are many.  ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet