Author Topic: New User Confused!!!!!  (Read 3941 times)

ashleynd1234

New User Confused!!!!!
« on: October 23, 2005, 09:39:55 PM »
Hi,
I just recently downloaded avast home edition...the question is do i keep it running all the time and how do i update it and find out if there is viruses on my computer BEFORE I downloaded it?? Thanks,Slightly Confused!!

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: New User Confused!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 09:45:38 PM »
Hello :)

Well in first place you can read the program manual (avast! Help) ;)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 09:51:46 PM »
umm... you should keep it running for active protection ;)
and usually it would auto-update and a voice will state    "virus database updated"
and to find viruses..um...scan
remember that not one antivirus will detect all viruses just like the law enforcement in real life. They do not catch all illegal drug dealers, but only use one antivirus

cheers,
tim ;D

ashleynd1234

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 10:01:03 PM »
So if I had any viruses on my comp before i had avast, avast would ahev found the ones they could and destroyed them?

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 10:06:04 PM »
So if I had any viruses on my comp before i had avast, avast would ahev found the ones they could and destroyed them?

Well "destroy" is not the right word. First you must run a full system scan, and if avast! detects something, you must act as described in the program manual ;) ( for example - repair the file(if possible), delete the file, move/rename, or move to Chest )
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 10:12:06 PM »
Hi ashleynd1234,

Yes, when you start it up for the first time it performs a very deep scan, a memory scan, and it keeps checking this, that it will find your computer as he has scanned it the first time. If I was you I will use three lines of defense against malware: from your ISP what they deliver virus scan, anti-spam etc, cost you pennies.
If you on broadband a firewall router is your second line of defense. Then as a third line this Anti-Virus solution, Anti Spyware (three Ad-Aware, Spybot S& D and Spyware Blaster, Mailwasher (latest free version for one user), Anti-Phishing and privacy software. If you have that and use a safer browser like Firefox latest update or Opera, go onto the internet and have fun there.
P.S. Welcome to the forum,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!