Author Topic: Can't open chest: error 1753; also any way to scan partitions?  (Read 4490 times)

TerryS

Can't open chest: error 1753; also any way to scan partitions?
« on: January 03, 2005, 02:07:55 AM »
Hello,

I just downloaded and installed avast 4.5 Home edition. I am not familiar with this software at all (I searched for a new anti-virus because AVG's latest free version doesn't play nice with Outlook Express). I especially have to compliment the "skins", because they are simple and make the controls easy to recognize...and they are a lot simpler that even most AV programs' "simple" interface (I especially like the random skins option).

System Information:
Windows XP Home w/SP2
Opera/Explorer/Navigator installed
Outlook Express (soon to try Eudor and/or Thunderbird)
31.5G hard drive with 21.6G free space
128MB RAM

Question 1:
The interface was extremely easy to use. Virus scanning took a long time, but I assume that is because it doesn't allow you to choose which drive to scan (I have one hard disk but 2 partitions), and I also chose thorough. Is there a way to skip scanning of the partition I use for backups?

Question 2:
I assume there is no scheduling, beyond scheduling a boot scan, with the free version -- is that correct?

Question 3 (Error 1753):
I could not open the Virus Chest, and these are the details:
    [*](Errors Report)Program cannot use Chest client: (null)
    -->Decsription: Virus chest server is not running. RPC communication failed.
    [*](Detailed information)
    Initialization of Chest files
    Program will try to load all Chest files from the following server: (null)
    Action was completed with errors!
    [*](Error log)
    Error is aswChestC:chestOpenList Error 1753.
    aswChestInterface - Program error description:CChestListView::LoadFiles() chestOpenList() failed:2147422219.
    aswChestInterface - Program error description: CChestListView::OnCreate() !m_strErrorWnd.isEmpty().[/list]

Thanks for your assistance!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
    • Maybe Bot
    • Watching (over?) you
      • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
    Re:Can't open chest: error 1753; also any way to scan partitions?
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 02:14:14 AM »
    1] It sure does allow you to choose what to scan. Read the help file and make yourself familiar with the options Avast is giving the user.

2] Yes there is a way.Which you could have found with the search option on this board http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3796

3] Read this thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9454 and let us know if it solved the problem.

As with all new things in life. Spend time to learn about/get used to it. Same goes for Avast. The help has a lot of info as well does this board.
    « Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 02:15:20 AM by Eddy »

TerryS

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 06:15:50 AM »
    2] Yes there is a way.Which you could have found with the search option on this board http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3796

I did use the search option and I didn't find that post. Please don't assume.

3] Read this thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9454 and let us know if it solved the problem.

That was not even the problem that I posted. I posted that I couldn't open the chest, not that I couldn't do a scan. (I do see the error # is the same, though.) I did not have any Norton software before Avast!, and I have never used Avast! to remove anything.

Sorry just posting now...have been sick for so long. I bought another program instead (oddly not free or expensive, just really cheap -- $15) and that program doesn't have any issues at all. As for the scheduling, that was just way to involved for me at the time, when I had so much to deal with. If it didn't work "out of the box" or at least very easily, it wasn't worth it.

Thanks for your help anyway, Eddy.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
    • Maybe Bot
    • Watching (over?) you
      • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
    Re: Can't open chest: error 1753; also any way to scan partitions?
    « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 08:46:10 AM »
    Giving up is the easy way out. Personally I would have solved the problem. But the choice is yours ofcourse. If you still like to solve the problem, let us know and we will try to help you with it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
    • Certainly Bot
    « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 04:48:33 AM »
    I posted that I couldn't open the chest, not that I couldn't do a scan.
    This is generally related to other antivirus present or, at least, firewall blocking.
    Chest errors may also be because of avast! services being stopped.
    The errors are most likely corrected by this procedure:

Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
    Then choose Repair function in the pop up window (Repair).
    If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

How are set your avast! services? Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
    The best things in life are free.