Author Topic: Off-topic question  (Read 8932 times)

REDACTED

Off-topic question
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:56:15 AM »
Is it prohibited for the moderators (or admins) in most forums or games (Minecraft, etc.) to impose inappropriate punishment (or consequences) to the person who commits slight violation of the rules for the first time EXCEPT to the cybercriminals? (It also include permanent bans to minors who slightly broke the rules)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:02:32 AM by MatthewGo707 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Off-topic question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »
Rules and punishment would vary from one forum to another, some aren't as tolerant as others.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:11:45 AM »
Rules and punishment would vary from one forum to another, some aren't as tolerant as others.
That would be right. What will the person do if he/she is permanently banned?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 09:36:03 AM »
Not much you can do.  You've an issue at another forum?  Or are you looking for avast user forum rules here?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »
Nothing, if it's a permanent ban then it cant be as slight as you have stated :-\ you need to thoroughly read the rules of any forum you are a part of as certain things have zero tolerance.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 06:29:59 AM »
Nothing, if it's a permanent ban then it cant be as slight as you have stated :-\ you need to thoroughly read the rules of any forum you are a part of as certain things have zero tolerance.
That's harsh, but what if the so-called (wrongly issued) permanent ban was issued to the person?

OP: I got banned from Minecraft Forum. :(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:37:05 AM by MatthewGo707 »

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 06:31:23 AM »
Will it be illegal to get around the ban by the use of alt account as a "successor" of my account?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:37:36 AM by MatthewGo707 »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:41:21 AM »
The only forum where my account was permanently banned was minecraftforum.net (Minecraft Forum)

Note:

My account name in Minecraft Forum is MatthewStevenGo
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:48:32 AM by MatthewGo707 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 03:52:11 PM »
Will it be illegal to get around the ban by the use of alt account as a "successor" of my account?

The question is too generic to give a specific answer.

It would depend on A) the forum, B) the reason you were banned to start with (should be in the ban info, depends on forum, etc.) and C) if the reason was considered serious enough. Then creating a new account to circumvent the ban would be considered in the same way, especially if you kept on the same subject matter that the original ban was for.

If all of the above were negative, then I would guess that you would be banned again.

If however, you felt this was in error (not impossible) you would have to create a new account to query/resolve it.

As you can see too many permutations for a generic question.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 08:47:40 AM »

It would depend on A) the forum, B) the reason you were banned to start with (should be in the ban info, depends on forum, etc.) and C) if the reason was considered serious enough. Then creating a new account to circumvent the ban would be considered in the same way, especially if you kept on the same subject matter that the original ban was for.

If all of the above were negative, then I would guess that you would be banned again.

If however, you felt this was in error (not impossible) you would have to create a new account to query/resolve it.

What if the newly-created account (used to resolve the issue) is instantly banned?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »

What if the newly-created account (used to resolve the issue) is instantly banned?

Again too generic a question - as A) we don't know what the initial ban was for and B) only rarely would the original ban be so great would the creation of a new account also be banned.

That said I don't think that this ban would be immediate/automatic as it takes some serious processing to do this. Or it also depends on the original ban conditions user name, email address and or IP address, if you were to reuse any of these it would be blocked based on the original ban conditions.

But in all honesty talking in these forums about a ban in another forum is never going to resolve that issue, different rules, different forum software, etc. etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 03:53:06 PM »
@MatthewGo707

You could mail moderation of that forum where you were banned and repent.
Ask them to give you another chance as you are only human and can change and let them consider to lift the ban.
That is all you could do. Not use another nick or account as your logs and style will give you away.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 05:34:15 AM »
@MatthewGo707

You could mail moderation of that forum where you were banned and repent.
Ask them to give you another chance as you are only human and can change and let them consider to lift the ban.
That is all you could do. Not use another nick or account as your logs and style will give you away.

polonus
Unfortunately, the Minecraft Forum administrator denied my appeal (2 times) despite showing clear proof that the so-called permanent ban was a biggest mistake. I am no longer allowed there to send PMs to users, report posts (this was included since one violator reported the moderator's post, assuming he commited the so-called staff impersonation), post in community, vote polls, etc. Then I may suppose that the permanent ban is NOT a recommended sanction but a warning, due to its unjust nature.

There are the admin's remarks:
=First appeal: "Your post did not contribute anything"
=Second appeal: "I already denied your appeal"
=Third appeal: You were told many times that your behavior on this forum was unacceptable yet you continued. The ban will not be lifted at this time"
=Fourth appeal: "You were given multiple opportunities to change your behavior on the forum. You will not be unbanned at this time."

Note: First and second appeal is from my warning for spamming (now expired since Thursday (March 26, 2015))
Note: Third and fourth appeal is from permanent bans (which is highly unjust and not recommended)

What should I do now, since all of my appeals is denied despite being serious and remorseful?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:04:01 AM by MatthewGo707 »

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 05:53:14 AM »
Now I almost became a victim of being permanently banned even though it is just minor...  >:(

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »
I now feel paranoid that my account in Minecraft Forum was banned for the first time.