Author Topic: epic Fail - Avast says avast is a virus  (Read 4919 times)

REDACTED

epic Fail - Avast says avast is a virus
« on: May 16, 2015, 08:53:59 PM »

This posting  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=121687.0

says :

Yes you can download from avast, but that may not be the issue here as it is the free version on cnet as well - Free AV: - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

so I try to download it and found got this screen:

sigh...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: epic Fail - Avast says avast is a virus
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:01:25 PM »
The thread/link is way outdated (2013)..!! ;D
You can download the latest version here: https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 10:39:33 PM »
Surprised that very old avast version is still available.

Things have changed massively from then and now, both old and new version. Why you would even consider downloading it when it is so old and you already have avast installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 11:23:31 PM »
Hello fesee just in case you may have missed this about using old version of avast. Read this https://blog.avast.com/2015/05/06/support-for-older-avast-windows-consumer-version-will-end/

You got only until at the end of this month to use an old version of avast. After end of this month avast will drop support and you must install the latest version of avast to continue to protect your computer from malware and receive continued support
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:27:24 PM »
Hello fesee just in case you may have missed this about using old version of avast. Read this https://blog.avast.com/2015/05/06/support-for-older-avast-windows-consumer-version-will-end/

You got only until at the end of this month to use an old version of avast. After end of this month avast will drop support and you must install the latest version of avast to continue to protect your computer from malware and receive continued support

Reading carefully one  sees this:  "People using older versions will continue to receive virus definition updates and be protected. However, we recommend everyone to upgrade to the new version to benefit from better detection rates and new features.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 11:37:08 PM »

Reading carefully one  sees this:  "People using older versions will continue to receive virus definition updates and be protected. However, we recommend everyone to upgrade to the new version to benefit from better detection rates and new features.

Yeah I realize that and I understand that some people are still using older version of avast due to compatibility issue/performance problems. If they want to still use old version of avast, they will still receive vps updates and be protected. Sooner or later a malware can get into their computers and destroy and  lose data. Due to compatibility and performance problems, they can buy a decent computer and transfer all the data from the old computer to new computer. Past computer/security experience taught me that keep the old program out and bring in the new. Sooner or later something worse can happen. Around that time, when I was 15 years old I started to use the latest versions of program (adobe,flash,antivirus software, and etc.), install updates from windows update, and keep my computer safe from malware.

What I don't understand is that why would Avast say people using older version of avast will still receive vps updates when clearly the headline says older version of avast will drop support by the end of this month and taking into account that users using old version due to compatibility/performance problems.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:45:42 PM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 12:51:04 AM »
@Staticguy

Snip>"What I don't understand is that why would Avast say people using older version of avast will still receive vps updates when clearly the headline says older version of avast will drop support by the end of this month and taking into account that users using old version due to compatibility/performance problems".

Well here's the way I interpreted the Article It reads: "Avast will end product enhancement support for older consumer versions of Avast Antivirus – we will not be ending security support

"Product Enhancement support"  Meaning technical " Upgrades"

VPS updates will continue in older versions

Seems fairly clear to me if one takes their time to read carefully ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:53:05 AM by schmidthouse »

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 12:58:46 AM »
Yeah I knew already what you were talking about. So isn't old VPS updates being downloaded by an old avast server? The new VPS updates are being downloaded by Avast Server 9. Why have two different avast server update two different vps updates? Anyways, if that's what Avast! Team wants let them do that they have full control over it not us  :).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 01:27:00 AM »
Yeah I knew already what you were talking about. So isn't old VPS updates being downloaded by an old avast server? The new VPS updates are being downloaded by Avast Server 9. Why have two different avast server update two different vps updates? Anyways, if that's what Avast! Team wants let them do that they have full control over it not us  :).

There are multiple update servers and I rather doubt a server isn't capable of delivering multiple VPS types. Given that there would be information going up stream to to the server that would tell it what program and VPS version it has so it can deliver the correct update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security