Author Topic: eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware 2005 - 1 year for free!  (Read 26152 times)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware 2005 - 1 year for free!
« on: October 24, 2005, 04:35:50 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.msg145131#msg145131

hello all! Just downloaded this product, but I don't know is it worth to install it and is it fully compatible with avast! Any advices or comments about this software?

neal62

Re: eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware 2005 - 1 year for free!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 05:55:38 PM »
We use this product where I work. Of course it was being sold to the customers by our company as a reseller. From what I have heard it seems to work just fine. We're still installing it on customers computers.  :)

darth.mikey

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 08:01:20 PM »
Paulius make sure to post some screenshots from the program ;)

Mastertech

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:05:56 PM »
This software is completely unnecessary since you can get Ad-aware, Spybot and Microsoft AntiSpyware for free.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 07:12:11 PM »
This software is completely unnecessary since you can get Ad-aware, Spybot and Microsoft AntiSpyware for free.

I think so....  ;D

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 07:21:41 PM »
Each of those companies make money in one way or another. Other companies also have the right to market their products. Pest Patrol, Sunbelt, Webroot etc. all produce excellent products, which deserve a fair evaluation, and may even be worth buying for some. For non home users, of course, there are fewer free options, and Pest Patrol may be a good buy. Let's give the product a fair run.

And you can't knock it if it's free.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Mastertech

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 01:31:07 AM »
Who is stopping them from marketing? ::) It doesn't make it any more necessary to buy. Lavasoft may make money from it's pro version but Microsoft and Spybot give their spyware products away for free. That is a moot point. You don't need to pay for anti-spyware products. Why tell people to waste money? It doesn't make sense.

MrBabis

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 01:41:52 AM »
Realy I do not like pestpatrol it removes all my favirite prorams/tools that was linux bases and recompiled to windows. But it is safe for reading email online ;)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 12:22:50 PM »
CA seem to have worked on the false positives produced by Pest Patrol: This version didn't produce one during a full scan. I tested Pest Patrol before the take over and I remember a few false positives.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 01:47:36 PM »
Well dear friends,

It is here the same as with virus scanning not a single program catches them all.
One resident scanner and added compatible non-resident scanning non-resident and online is a good thing. With spyware and adware it is the same. Ad-aware and Spybot S&D etc does not catch them all. Some companies do not treat certain adware as malicious because there has been foreseen in an obscure uninstaller or an opt-out, and if they would there would be juridical consequences. Some do not consider some programs as such for various reasons. So a bit of extra scanning with eTrustPestPatrol or the free Spyaudit scan for a second opinion cannot harm you once in a while.
Just to prescribe a standard formula and say bluntly that in that way you are out of harms way is an oversimplified statement or it is a form of "educated" snake oil.

polonus
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 03:31:58 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Mastertech

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 03:34:52 PM »
Right Spybot and Adaware do not catch everything which is why I recommend also running Microsoft AntiSpyware <-Free and Trend Micro Sysclean <-Free. There is no need to pay for anything. If all of these do not find it, nothing else will and you will have to resort to manual removal.

I've occasionally scanned systems with Pest Patrol and Spysweeper after running the scans I prescribe and they never find anything new. Actually that is not true, they occasionally find false positives.

The only snake oil is from people with no experience in these matters and does not handle any volume of end users. Which is not surprising that neither of you are recommending Microsoft AntiSpyware which has become more effective then almost all of them.

Webroot's Spyaudit and Pest Patrol (even after CA) still give occasional false positives. Much more so then the free more effective scanners.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 03:39:25 PM by Mastertech »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 03:55:30 PM »
Well Mastertech,

It is a good thing that you are that positive, but what good is it for your end-users when they trust the Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and Microsoft AntiSpyware formula and they land with a hidden rootkit on their comps. How can you tell this then or do you explain this away as a  false positive?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Mastertech

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 04:16:40 PM »
Polonus, do you have any idea how rare Rootkit infections are? I check for them all the time and never find any. Which hasn't warranted me to add RootKitRevealer to the site yet. I've considered it but it is not a tool for novice users due to the complexity in properly identifying a true rootkit from a false positive.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 04:42:32 PM »
There are many instances of rootkit infection reported on these forums.

However, as you say RootKitRevealer is not a tool for the inexperienced and the user will still need to interpret the information it presents, not to mention it doesn't remove rootkit infection.

To date as far as I'm aware, only UnHackMe and IceSword (a relatively new Chinese program, recently available in English, that little is known about) actually remove anything.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 04:45:37 PM »
I believe most of the latest review give the pay products the edge in detection and prevention of spyware. I'm particularly impressed by Webroots product at he moment, and I've seen it for a very good price recently. Being financially disadvantaged, I stick with the free products, and yes, I do recommend MS AntiSpyware.

As usual Mastertech, you seem to have a problem with simply letting people make their own minds up.

As to rootkits, perhaps the reason we don't here about any is that they are so effective that AV's can't detect them. We see plenty of the FU type pseudo rootkits, believe me. I've tried BlackLight on some infected computers, and have found some hidden malware.

MS itself is taking the problem seriously enough to add rootkit detection to its Malware Detection Tool and AntiSpyware.