Author Topic: eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware 2005 - 1 year for free!  (Read 26151 times)

Mastertech

Re: eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware 2005 - 1 year for free!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2005, 07:29:56 AM »
 ::)

Steve Dodson work at Microsoft on Microsoft AntiSpyware.

AntiSpyware and OneCare Live

Today when I came in to the office, I was made aware of an issue which stated that a Microsoft Representative was quoted as saying Windows AntiSpyware would no longer be available for free.

The statement quoted in many forums is not true.

As we have been saying since day one, Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware will be available at no charge to licensed users of Windows. Users who validate their Windows install through WGA will be allowed to download the AntiSpyware beta, as well as the full standalone version of AntiSpyware when it releases to the web. This has not changed since Bill Gates announced this information at the RSA conference in February. The enterprise version of Windows AntiSpyware is targeted to companies who want to centrally manage their Windows AntiSpyware infrastructure. The enterprise version of Windows AntiSpyware will be available for a cost (which has not been determined yet).  For users who want more services including AntiVirus, computer backup, and AntiSpyware we will be offering Windows OneCare live. Windows OneCare Live is currently in beta, but when it releases to the web it will be available to users with a cost.

There are many exciting security offerings coming from Microsoft over the next year and I am just glad they let me blog about these exciting things happening at Microsoft!

I personally like Neowin but they have gotten into trouble with things like this before.

galooma

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2005, 10:13:49 AM »
I guess the question posed somewhere within Neals link that still goes unanswered is will MS antispy always remain in its present form .
And if not then how long before it becomes so heavily integrated into WOC that it ceases to be a stand alone utility and therefore free.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 10:15:36 AM by Cloussau »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2005, 10:37:22 AM »
Latest anti-spyware comparative test from a UK computer magazine:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/133/anti-spyware/introduction.html
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2005, 01:04:26 PM »
CounterSpy gets very good reviews in most of the reviews I have read, it is in effect the parent program of MS anti-spy, or rather the program that MS bought off Giant. As far as I'm aware Sunbelt Software have a license to sell the CounterSpy product for a couple of years.

So MS anti-spy should also do well, although CounterSpy is supposed to have a higher detection rate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mastertech

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2005, 01:35:24 PM »
Spyware Warrior Test <- This is a more accurate test where they disclose their results. This was also before Giant became Microsoft AntiSpyware and Adaware started releasing very frequent definitions.

The last link I posted was very clear. It shows that Microsoft is going to release a standalone version for end-users for free.

CounterSpy is a Giant/Microsoft AntiSpyware knockoff which currently relies on Microsoft for definition updates through 2007. While it is true it detects slightly more since Microsoft stripped out cookie detection and Claria GAIN, Adaware and Spybot will remove these.

I don't consider knockoff products as their own.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2005, 02:09:33 PM »
Well Sunbelt had a the CounterSpy license before MS bought Giant (otherwise they wouldn't have been able to continue to distribute/sell it), so hardly a knock off.

Another point, MS crippled the Giant anti spyware product, by limiting it to XP and above to try and get people to upgrade their OS, 'CounterSpy works with Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP.'

P.S. I don't use CounterSpy or MS anti-spy (certainly not until it is out of beta).

Thanks for the Spyware Warrior link, but as you say it is getting a little long in the tooth (Oct. 13-15, 2004), even then Giant was well ahead of the field. Yes reviews without what they tested, how they tested, etc. hold less weight than the likes of this test/review. It would be nice to see them repeat it a year down the track.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mastertech

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2005, 02:22:23 PM »
While CounterSpy is a legitimate product it is not fully it's own application, for which I cannot put much faith in it long term.

Microsoft AntiSpyware works with Windows 2000 and XP. Which is all anyone should be running today if they run Windows. Microsoft AntiSpyware while still in BETA is very safe and all the false positives were taken care of in the first few months.

The Spyware Warrior link is one of the only ones I have been able to find that discloses the full test results. Literally every other comparison test has each application on top and in a different order. It also follows very closely with real world results. As Microsoft AntiSpyware consistently detects more then the rest.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2005, 02:30:37 PM »
While CounterSpy is a legitimate product it is not fully it's own application, for which I cannot put much faith in it long term.
If you are buying a yearly license (reasonably priced $19.95), long term is hardly an issue, if as you said it is ok to 2007?

CounterSpy is just $19.95 per machine, and that includes a one year subscription with updates, upgrades and technical support,
(real live humans from right here in the US at 888-688-8457). Best of all, it's the only antispyware that gets regular spyware threat database updates from three sources: Sunbelt's own Spyware Research Team, CounterSpy users like you that are a member of our ThreatNet Community, and from Microsoft's own spyware research group.
So this may account for the better detections.

neal62

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2005, 02:38:23 PM »
This certaintly WAS interesting reading:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14736.0

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 02:40:03 PM by neal63 »

Mastertech

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2005, 02:42:41 PM »
If you are buying a yearly license (reasonably priced $19.95), long term is hardly an issue, if as you said it is ok to 2007?
Yes but why pay anything for an application that does not realistically give you any better detection then the free scanners?

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14736.0
That is very old news. Run Adaware it will find Claria.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 02:44:34 PM by Mastertech »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2005, 04:31:45 PM »
Yes but why pay anything for an application that does not realistically give you any better detection then the free scanners?

Which has nothing to do with your original comment about long term future. To pay or not to pay is an entirely different question.

Not to mention we are now hijacking this thread that was meant to be about PestPatrol, so I shan't comment further unless it is about PestPatrol.

Mastertech

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2005, 05:15:03 PM »
That comment makes any debate on how much something costs moot. Free vs any other price = No contest.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 12:55:15 AM by Mastertech »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2005, 06:40:04 PM »
I see Neal still dislikes any one contradicting anything he posts regardless of how untrue or outdated the material is.
Some things never seem to change.  ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet