Author Topic: Latest program update slows down file handling  (Read 14775 times)

REDACTED

Latest program update slows down file handling
« on: May 07, 2015, 01:45:27 AM »
Hi,
the latest update to the Avast program slows down file-handling on my PC. Every file open, every file save (both SSD and HDD) take cca 30+ times (used stopwatch to approximate it) longer.
Anybody else too, pls?
Any advice perhaps?
Many thx in advance!
Best,
PT

Offline Endt

• Avast team
Re: Latest program update slows down file handling
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 03:17:41 PM »
Hi again p.t,

Can you please send us a support package? (quick how to and download link for generating the support package, https://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB33). Please make sure that "Automatically send to Avast" option is ticked, and don't forget to post here the Package ID.

Thanks,
B.

Offline okapal

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 05:17:48 PM »
Hello,
since few days ago (my current version of the program is 2015.10.2.2218) I have been having issue with my PC performance. I tried to tweak the Avast settings and figured out that the File system shield is the problem. When it's turned on, the computer is completely slowed down, every program takes ages to start, browsers are loading blank pages and it takes long time to to appear it's content (using Opera, tried on IE too). When I turn it off, the computer works like a charm, no slowness at all...

I tried to look trough the forum and internet but found no solution.

I made a package as stated in the previous post, I hope I made it as needed.

The Package ID is: Y0VX3

I hope to see this problem solved, I like Avast more than the others, but if the problem prevails I will be forced to use another program. I don't know what could have changed, it started to be happening actually two days ago, before that I had no problems at all...

Thank you for your help

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 07:35:24 AM »
I'm having exactly same issue as okapal. It all started 2 days ago and I even made clean windows 7 install since I couldn't figure out what was cousing these slow down issues and once I installed avast on this clean installation it started again. Disabling shields solved the issue but without shields, what is the point of using avast ? Also I can't even register this new avast installation, it says there are some connection issues and to check my internet connection (which is perfectly fine of course).

Any help appreciated. If it keeps like this I will have to use another antivirus since avast is totally unusable right now.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 11:19:06 AM »
I have the same experience. On machine with Windows 8.1, SSD drive, Intel Core i7 processor, 16 MB of RAM one of Avast latest updates significantly slowed down every action where files are in touch - opening new program, opening new data file, Windows startup itself and after startup initialization, opening new web page in my browser (latest Maxthon)...

After Avast unistalllation problems disappeared completely.

P.S. After new Avast installation problem is here again. Terrible performance impact. :-(

P.P.S. Support package ID: 9QD4P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:46:17 PM by Roman Å tÄ›dronský »

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 01:45:12 PM »
Hi there,
just the same with me. It slowed down completely. Just starting video or anything else is taking ages. Before it just pop up and run. Turned off avast and it ran like before, so the problem is clearly in avast.
Please, is there anyone who knows solution to this?

Thanks in advance

p.s
othervise will let avast go away

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 02:54:04 PM »
Exactly same issue here..  :-\

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 03:00:05 PM »
What is also strange about this issue is that I can't even log in into my avast account (in avast program) and can't register my instalation so I have 29 days left before it expires. Never experienced this issue before. If I click on that "Shop" icon (I'm using czech version so not sure how it's called in english version) it just keeps loading but nothing ever appears and I'm stuck on that. Clicking on register button just tells me that online content is not available. Also I have not seen any pop-up window since I installed it which is strange, I'm always getting at least one pop-up window every day when avast updates.

Reinstall also does not help since I reinstalled whole system. So far the only working solution is to disable file system shield and everything works fine. It almost feels like there is some kind of "lag" or connection issue with the avast servers that completely slows down any action that avast do, including online avast services that does not work at all for me.

To those that are experiencing this issue, what localization of avast are you using ? I have suspicion if it's not only problem with czech version of avast. I have been googling for few hours but I can't find any info about this on the internet and I think this rather big issue.

Would be really nice if we could get some info about this issue and if it has been at least recognized and if you are working on some solution. I really don't want to be forced to use my computer with shields disabled any longer.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:03:07 PM by Haseo »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 03:40:13 PM »
Hi guys, I suggest to follow Endt's advice (Reply #2) and provide your support packages.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 04:44:23 PM »
Hi guys, I suggest to follow Endt's advice (Reply #2) and provide your support packages.
By the way, that diagnostic tool did not find anything wrong with my avast and everything was green, no issues detected.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:45:10 AM by Haseo »

Offline okapal

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 04:47:53 PM »
The same here. I assume that the package is sent to avast team and then, after they see this forum, will take a look at the problem with the support of these packages with some sort of informations about system etc.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
I assume that the package is sent to avast team and then, after they see this forum, will take a look at the problem with the support of these packages with some sort of informations about system etc.
Exactly.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »
Same issue, and sometimes I have to restart computer, because explorer.exe doesn't want to start.
My ID ticket of this problem: ZYID9
File: 20150509_1846_ZYID9_2648967703.zip

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 10:26:29 AM »
Been looking around and you may try this:
Go to options -  active protection.
Than go to options of the file shield. On the first card is "test on boot" or boottest (I'm not so sure with the translation), there uncheck all the three fields.
It helped to me, so it might be useful for someone else too.

:)

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »
Been looking around and you may try this:
Go to options -  active protection.
Than go to options of the file shield. On the first card is "test on boot" or boottest (I'm not so sure with the translation), there uncheck all the three fields.
It helped to me, so it might be useful for someone else too.
Thanks a lot for this! Worked like a charm.