Author Topic: Latest program update slows down file handling  (Read 14777 times)

REDACTED

Re: Latest program update slows down file handling
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 11:32:49 AM »
I think there‘s problem with DNS service try change DNS to 8.8.8.8 and it’s OK

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 12:47:54 PM »
Been looking around and you may try this:
Go to options -  active protection.
Than go to options of the file shield. On the first card is "test on boot" or boottest (I'm not so sure with the translation), there uncheck all the three fields.
It helped to me, so it might be useful for someone else too.
Thanks a lot for this! Worked like a charm.
Note: You just disabled a part of the resident protection.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 01:03:35 PM »
Been looking around and you may try this:
Go to options -  active protection.
Than go to options of the file shield. On the first card is "test on boot" or boottest (I'm not so sure with the translation), there uncheck all the three fields.
It helped to me, so it might be useful for someone else too.
Thanks a lot for this! Worked like a charm.
Note: You just disabled a part of the resident protection.
Well I had to turn off that shield completely for past couple of days because with that shield on, avast was unusable and whole computer slowed down significantly so it's the best soluton I have seen so far. If it's intentional for avast to slow down whole computer and to wait 10-15sec for every application to open then I would rather use something diferent or turn off those parts that causes these performance issues.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »
We're still investigating this issue... those who observes slowdown, can you please:
1) Tell me when it happens? Is it during application starting process? Or during regular open file-system activities? Or sometime else?
2) Does it help when you disable "Settings / Enable reputation services" ?
3) You can also try to enable File system logging (OK items) and see if it doesn't scan any files... "Settings / Active protection / File system shield / Report file / OK items"

Offline okapal

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
Hello pk,
I am glad you are looking into the problem.

1] It happens everytime I want to start an application, run the application or close the application... What I mean, after the system is fully loaded on and I want to use web browser, the actual start of the browser is slow as hell. Then, when it starts, every move in the browser is affected as well (i.e. loading pages, using shortcuts and even when I close the browser it takes around 15-20 second before it is shut down). Happens to most of the programs (skype, games, media players - music&video). But it doesn't seem to happen when I open some regular file, like on a desktop or in My Computer.

2] That actually seems to be helping. I will test it more to see if the difference prevails or not and let you know by the end of the day

3] How do I see that it scans those files or not?

EDIT: Disabling the reputation services partly helped, it's better then with this option enabled, but the system isn't still as fast as with the shield turned off completely.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:41:52 PM by okapal »

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 10:20:44 PM »
Hello pk,

basically what okapal said.
1. happens when opening application. It takes around 10-15 sec to open. I noticed that immediately when I open some application it appears in task manager with only 100kB usage and without any activity and after 10-15 sec the application finally open. Same thing happens when opening any video files or when I want to shut down or restart computer it takes around the same time (10-15sec) before it starts shutting down/restarting.

2. didn't notice any significant diference. What helped was what vavra wrote in this topic about unchecking all 3 boxes in file shield settings on the first card or completely turning off file shield - the result is same and all applications and file operation works like they should. But there is still some lag when I browse the internet. Every site first loads blank page, then avast probably test the files and after that the site loads. Again, this takes around 10 sec to load every page. Turning web shield off would probably solved that but I don't want to turn off web shield so I did not test this.

I think the reason for these slow downs is apparent. It's taking avast too much time to test every application/file/whatever I want to open which causes those "lags".

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 10:54:15 PM »
For me, the first start of my laptop after an updgrade was very slow. Then every app start was slow. I restarted a few times. Now it takes Winamp to start, but when I open song in Windows explorer everything is fine. Problem is a video file. I use PotPlayer and it takes about 20sec to open from Windows Explorer, when I open it in PotPlayer or drag and move it from Windows Explorer it starts to play immediately.

Also yesterday I had to restart my laptop a few times because explorer.exe (desktop, all windows) did not start :( .
Avast starts every time very slow after reboot.

2) this thing is causing the problem! I'm turning it off and try it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:03:28 PM by aamp »

Offline Baz8755

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 01:41:27 PM »
+1

During 1st file open dialog after boot in any application
Windows 8.1, i7 12GB RAM 500GB SSD, Avast Free

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 06:35:28 PM »
Hi, got the same problem, starting any program took about 15 seconds, disabling reputation services worked perfectly for me... Thanx  :)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 09:04:18 AM »
Anybody affected... can you please guess when the problem started? I mean, was it right after updating the Avast program to a new version, or has the new version already been installed for a while at the moment (or someone may still be running the previous version)? If it wasn't connected to a program update, could it be a virus definition update that started it (I know it may be hard to say, just trying), or did it simply start without any specific event you know of, out of the blue?
Thanks.

Offline Baz8755

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 10:01:14 AM »
Only noticed in the past week and happened to spot this thread and put 2 and 2 together.

Running up to date Program and Definitions on 8.1 pro
Windows 8.1, i7 12GB RAM 500GB SSD, Avast Free

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 02:16:01 PM »
It started after the upgrade. The version is from 20th something April, my Avast was updated last week (6th or 7th May)

Offline okapal

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 04:57:30 PM »
Started exactly on 5th of May... The newest version was already installed I think, but I am not sure about it. I only dont recall installing new version during that period of time

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 05:18:52 PM »
Disabling reputation services fixes the issue completely for me.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 05:22:30 PM »
Disabling reputation services fixes the issue completely for me.

Reputation service (Avast Online Security) is only used when on-line???
How can that effect or, solve the problem being discussed in this topic ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet