Author Topic: Viruses in Avast Virus Chest  (Read 4344 times)

megaman04

Viruses in Avast Virus Chest
« on: October 24, 2005, 09:35:40 PM »
Hi,

I need assistance on what to do with the viruses in the avast virus chest.  A couple of weeks ago, I scanned the computer using avast 4.6 home edition, and found out that there were four viruses on the computer.  The recommendation was to "move" each virus into the avast virus chest.  I did that.  The viruses have been in the chest for two weeks now.  What do I do with the viruses?  Is the computer safe from the viruses or do I need to execute another step to get rid of the viruses to ensure complete protection?  I would appreciate it if someone who knows the step-by-step instructions could let me know, or if there is a "thorough" link to retrieve the information.  I'd like to get all the information and not just bits and pieces here and there.  Thank you very much for your expertise.  I look forward to hearing from someone who has the answer.  It might be a simple answer, but as of now, I don't know what it is in the context of using avast's protection software.

Thank you,
                                                   mega

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Viruses in Avast Virus Chest
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 10:48:33 PM »
There are different sections in the chest, one 'system' which can contain some files to be use in the event of infection of the original, leave those there.

The ones in the Infected Files section:
Leave the file in the avast Chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. You should leave it there for a week or two to ensure no harmful effects of having moved it. If there are no harmful effects, then scan it again if that scan also confirms it as infected you can delete it from within the chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

megaman04

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 09:25:43 PM »
There are different sections in the chest, one 'system' which can contain some files to be use in the event of infection of the original, leave those there.

The ones in the Infected Files section:
Leave the file in the avast Chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. You should leave it there for a week or two to ensure no harmful effects of having moved it. If there are no harmful effects, then scan it again if that scan also confirms it as infected you can delete it from within the chest.

I left the "system" files alone.  The four trojan viruses are still in the avast virus chest.  They have been there for over two weeks now.  I rescanned the computer and no viruses were found.  I also scanned each virus in the chest, and each time a siren sounded with a voice cautioning that the file is infected.  According to your advice, I should delete the infected files that are in the chest.  That's what I'm going to do.  Thank you, Megaman

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 11:18:37 PM »
Yes they should be safe to delete.
The idea of the second scan whilst within the chest is for confirmation that the first detection was good. If it doesn't get detected again, it may have been incorrectly detected the first time and the VPS file has been corrected, you can then restore the file to its original location.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security