Author Topic: Avast and OutPost 3.0  (Read 2900 times)

horbar

Avast and OutPost 3.0
« on: October 25, 2005, 05:13:15 PM »
...since I installed OutPost Vers.3.0, my computer needs for
starting 5 to 10 minutes more......and if I stop avast the start
results normal......it seems that both together are not happy ::)
with OP-Vers.2.7 was no problems.....
somebody, who has the same experience ?...or knows already
a resolution ;) ;D
thanks for any help,
regards  horbar

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast and OutPost 3.0
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 06:12:50 PM »
Don't forget there is much more functionality (bloat) in Outpost Pro 3.0, like the anti-spyware. This for me whilst I trialled the anti-spyware functionality scanned over 1000 files on boot, because these files are accessed, guess what, avast! has to scan them and this combination slows the boot.

I hate OP for the file accesses it made on boot even with 2.7, it accessed 450-500 files, which cause avast to scan them too. In the end I have totally disabled Outpost Pro on startup and start it with a batch file after the boot has finished, then it only takes 6-8 seconds to load (with the anti-spyware plug-in disabled). This is ok for me as I'm on dial-up and don't connect on boot.

The upshot is outpost is a file access hog on boot add to that if you enable the anti-spyware plug-in (which you really don't need, as avast and other software covers this task) cause over 1500 file accesses on boot and a subsequent scan by avast.

avast! is doing what it should scan files that are opened/accessed so we can't blame it for doing its job.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

horbar

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 06:31:27 PM »
...thank- you DavidR :)
                 now I see clear  ;) ;D
Regards:  horbar

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 08:11:03 PM »
Your welcome, it took ages to pin down this to outpost being a very chatty program (accessing files) on boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gbark

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 01:56:01 AM »
horbar,

FWIW, I run WinMe with OPP 3.0.543.5722 (431), and Avast with almost no discernable difference from the previous version of OPP. I do know that specific hardware/software combinations make a world of difference, however.

I've followed with great interest DavidR 's threads regarding OPP's heavy-handed file access during boot-up. Again, *I* didn't notice any significant slow down, but it was clear from those threads that he, and others, did suffer from the access loads.

I've been running OPP's anti-spyware, mostly just to see how it "feels", but I'll probably turn it off since I have a pretty tight ship and I regularly run 3rd. party scanners for spyware and the like. Lean is great, when it's the best (like OPP & Avast)

If you're willing to twiddle with settings and engage the great minds that frequent this forum, I'm sure that you'll be able to significantly improve your boot times without sacrificing too much  (if any) in the way of prodection.

Best of luck.