Author Topic: Why does avast want me to do a boot time scan  (Read 9330 times)

REDACTED

Re: Why does avast want me to do a boot time scan
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 10:37:35 PM »
You are welcome.

If Avast is working as it should be, and all types of scans are showing now, I would say you are set to go.

Avastclear is run just to make sure no corrupted file will hinder the new installation.

Offline JGM71201

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 10:59:11 PM »
Thank you, all seems well. I now have options on what scan to run and how and I am doing a whole system scan now to check for a virus that may be lurking lol.

Are there any special settings I need to set up or does it do that on its own upon setup.
I thank you again.

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 11:08:23 PM »
If you are worry about your system might be infected, Follow this guide: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Open a new topic and attach ( Do not copy/paste ) logs for Malwarebytes ( MBAM ), Farbar Recovery Scan Tool ( FRST ), and aswMBR.exe ( you find these programs in the guide above ) here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4.0

Where an expert in the removal of malware will help you.

...Are there any special settings I need to set up or does it do that on its own upon setup.
I thank you again.

Avast is set up as default to give you the best protection and best performance to run in your system. Any settings you change will give different results, and the user must be awared and prepared for. Better to read the manual or faq before you change anything. You can also click on the upper ? symbol to your right on any Avast window you open to learn how things work.

Offline JGM71201

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 12:03:30 AM »
Nothing was found but I thank you for the info. It did say some files could not be scanned, should I be concerned. I don't know how o copy and paste them here or even if it is safe to do that on line.

status says error archive is passward protected. They are all downloads .
I thank you again.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:07:17 AM by JGM71201 »

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 12:26:15 AM »
Avast gives two kind of results for its analysis. Threats and Warnings. Threats is your typical file that can be considered malware. Warnings are files that Avast could not, for whatever reason, scanned properly. In your case they are password protected so Avast could not open them and see what was inside them. Nothing to be concerned about it.

It is always better to attach an image of Avast ( screenshot/screen capture ). Be it a error, alert, scan result, or whatever is in the Virus Chest by opening "Attachments and other options". See image

How to make a screenshot: http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows

Offline JGM71201

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 01:06:14 AM »
I am trying it did not them all , may I ask how to get them all in one shot or can I?
thanks so much!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:57:11 AM by JGM71201 »

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2015, 04:18:27 AM »
You are allowed just 4 files per post for a maximun size of 1024KB ( 1MB ), or just one file no bigger than 1024KB. You can attach written files in the form of txt and log. Image files in the form of jpg, png, and gif.

Most written reports in the form of txt or log have no problem because they are relatively small in size so you can usually have 4 of them under a post ( see where it says " more attachments " ).

When it comes to images like a screenshot, it is recommended to take only what you want to show and not the whole monitor screen in order to make the screenshot smaller in size. To do this you depress Alt+PrtSc keys at the same time ( method 2 in the instructions given in the topic above ), or use the snipping tool ( method 3 ). Also it is better to save the image in png format. It gives a clearer and smaller file size.

At the end of this post I attached two files. A txt file size 168KB and a screenshot of Avast warnings after a scan about 23KB and 600x400. This is important. The resolution of the picture. The bigger the resolution the clearest the image, but harder to look at the whole image at the same time ( It all depends the size and resolution your screen is set up ) so if you can cut down the size of the resolution no bigger than 900x600 would be better. There are programs for this. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

Hope it helps.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:12:34 AM by iroc9555 »

Offline JGM71201

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »
Thanks I will do that later today and post back. I appreciate your patience and explanation.