Author Topic: can't get through installation  (Read 1347 times)

REDACTED

can't get through installation
« on: May 10, 2015, 12:50:06 AM »
on asus t300 tablet, android 4.4, rooted.

avast anti-theft rooted demands answers to irrelevant questions.  about sms, this is a tablet, no sms available,  or a phone number to notify: I don't want to give it a friends phone number.  and others. other questions that I have no idea what it is asking about. It won't activate unless questions are answered.

can I do a simpler install, so that I can go to avast web site, see location of tablet, lock, wipe and maybe put a notice on screen?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 01:01:15 AM by astro46 »

Offline djfrank

Re: can't get through installation
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 02:52:24 PM »
About giving a "friend" number for SMS is very simple to resolve, just create a Google Voice (free) number and give that number out as the "friend" then set any SMS sent to that number to be forwarded to your gmail account.  You can install Hangouts on your or any phone/tablets/etc with the Dialer app to make and receive calls using your Google Voice number, so this secondary number can be used for the Anti Theft purposes since you will always have access to this number (either via another smartphone/tablet or simply on your computer via gmail/ voice.google.com) in the event that your phone is lost.

REDACTED

Re: can't get through installation
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:58:16 AM »
djfrank, thanks.  possible. a lot of hoops to jump through, for I am not sure what purpose. What is the point of sms in this case?

there were around 8 different "issues" that it asked me to correct after getting through setup, but before it would let me activate. Another, as I remember had to with the sim card. Perhaps the phone number had to do with contacting me if sim card was changed? I don't remember. There is no sim card involved. Why ask for info regarding sim card being changed when there isn't one to begin with?

I don't remember what the other "issues' were.
I am looking for an app that will help in location (even if gps is not turned on), be able to ring the tablet even if sound is turned off, and lock and wipe tablet.  I don't know what else I need, (that maybe avast provides,) but I am not thinking of.