Author Topic: asvwmm.sys causes BSOD  (Read 13267 times)

Offline steve.craddock

asvwmm.sys causes BSOD
« on: May 10, 2015, 05:30:31 PM »
This file (asvwmm.sys) is the reported cause of a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION in my WS2008R2 server, which started happening at the end of last week (Thursday 7th). Up until then, AVG Business had been fine.

I can't resolve this because I can't disable the services and the system crashes before I have a chance to complete any action (eg, uninstall).

I can't use the domain Admin account in safe mode ("no login servers to service the request") and my local Admin account clearly isn't using the password I thought it was  >:(

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: asvwmm.sys causes BSOD
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »
Up until then, AVG Business had been fine.
Are you sure you posted in the right forum..!? ??? ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline steve.craddock

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 01:09:05 AM »
Well spotted - it has been a frustrating few days and my fingers were faster than my brain...! (In my defense, I did have AVG on there previously, but hoped Avast would suit me better!)

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:55:38 PM »
Hi Steve,

Is AVG or Avast installed on the device? If Avast I may have something that will help :)

Thanks!

Jeff

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:28:28 PM »
I had this too. had to remove avast business cloud from my backup server. its running 2008 storage server.

I booted in safe mode (with networking) and uninstalled avast. no more BSOD
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:34:29 PM by Jonmesser33 »

Offline steve.craddock

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 12:31:21 AM »
@Jeff - it is Avast for Business (Cloud) that is installed, and crashing the server (I never had a problem with AVG).

@Jonmesser33 - I would do that, if I were able so to do :(

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »
@Jeff - it is Avast for Business (Cloud) that is installed, and crashing the server (I never had a problem with AVG).

@Jonmesser33 - I would do that, if I were able so to do :(

yeah this is a tough one =( if you cant even get logged into the box at all.  so you get no "Safe Mode (with networking)" option when you hit F8 at boot up?  that option wont show during a normal restart after the crash, you have to hit F8 just as its leaving BIOS mode and starting to load the OS. then you get a safe mode screen with about 8 options on it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:33:55 PM by Jonmesser33 »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 05:05:30 PM »
Hi Steve,

If you can, replace the asvwmm.sys with the attached one and see if it corrects the issue. You will need to rename the .txt to .zip

Let me know if you still have issues.

Thanks!

Jeff

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 05:46:33 PM »
Hi Steve,

If you can, replace the asvwmm.sys with the attached one and see if it corrects the issue. You will need to rename the .txt to .zip

Let me know if you still have issues.

Thanks!

Jeff

I will go ahead and reinstall and replace this file as well to see if I continue to have the crash issue. thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 05:53:13 PM »
Hi Jon,

Thanks!  Let me know if this works for you as well so I can update the devs.

Thanks!

Jeff

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 06:09:36 PM »
ok a little confused. you said to rename the file .zip, but if i do that, any attempts to open it are met with "this is not a valid compressed file"  type of messages. from windows, winrar and 7zip as well. it does appear to be compressed though, as it is half the size of the file i am supposed to replace? i downloaded it twice to make sure it wasnt corrupted the first time or something. no joy =(. please advise.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 09:35:37 PM »
Hi Jon,

I sent the file to your email address. The forum will only allow certain file types. Not sure why renaming the file caused and issue.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks!

Jeff

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 10:00:55 PM »
I sent the file to your email address. The forum will only allow certain file types. Not sure why renaming the file caused and issue.

Hi Sigmon ,

I believe I have seen this in the forums before, changing the file type to .txt by all accounts it is saved in the forum.avast as a text file, corrupting the archive. So downloading and changing the file type back, is no longer recognised as an archive file.

I think it was Vlk that mentioned this some time ago, might be worth checking with Chocholo 'Petr' if that is still the case with changing file types.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 10:09:26 PM »
Hi Jon,

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks!

Jeff

will do! it will likely be tomorrow morning or later this evening before i can replace the file. there are 2 production VMs running on this box so I cant reboot it in safe mode to replace the file until after business hours.  thanks again!

-jon

Offline steve.craddock

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 12:18:51 AM »
@Sigmon - please send to my email address also, Jeff - thanks