Author Topic: Need Some Help  (Read 4728 times)

Mystery

Need Some Help
« on: October 25, 2005, 08:34:06 PM »
Well, I got some questions about avast and some other stuff that has nothing to do with avast that I would really like help on.

When avast gets done scanning, a window comes up with some files avast could not scan. What should I do to those files?

This one is really making me frustrated. One of my friends sent me a link over AOL instant messenger and I clicked it. I thought it was a picture he wanted to show me. When I clicked this link a window opened up and told me if I wanted to download something. I said yes and now everytime I sign on to AOL instant messenger, it automatically IMs everyone on my buddy list and gives them that link. What should I do?

Also, there is a hourglass right next to my mouse pointer that will not go away(I am looking at it right now). I think it is some type of spyware, but my spyware remover(spybot) does not detect it. Is there anyway I can get rid of it?

Thanks a lot for any help on these issues.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: Need Some Help
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 09:06:01 PM »
When avast gets done scanning, a window comes up with some files avast could not scan. What should I do to those files?

Hello :)

There's nothing wrong with these files ;)
This question has been asked and answered many times here, so please use the search option for more info ;)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 10:23:24 PM »
Mystery
This one is really making me frustrated. One of my friends sent me a link over AOL instant messenger and I clicked it. I thought it was a picture he wanted to show me. When I clicked this link a window opened up and told me if I wanted to download something. I said yes and now everytime I sign on to AOL instant messenger, it automatically IMs everyone on my buddy list and gives them that link. What should I do?
As far as this likely Hijacking of your computer, I suggest you get further info. as to " How to clean a System " @  http://mrspock.dsmirc.co.uk/index1.htm.
As .:X:M:A:S:. suggests a search on the Forum would be wise, with emphasis on " Cleaning a System" a priority over the lesser problem of your Avast!  ignored file  scan results.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 11:33:35 PM »
1. Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

2. You have no doubt inadvertently installed some form of malware.
Also useful as a diagnostic tool - Download HiJackThis.zip - HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial 1 or HiJackThis Tutorial 2
For an on-line analysis - HiJackThis Log file - On-line Analysis
Ignore any 023 reference to avast processes, this is a hiccup in the HJT 1.99.1 (especially missing file entry for avast), if you need any help with any of the analysis let us know.
OR HiJackThis Log file - On-line Analysis 2

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it.
1. Ad-Aware
2. Spybot Search and Destroy
3. Spywareblaster Don't install this until you are clean.
4. Ewido Security Suite

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mastertech

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 02:59:18 AM »
Before you check anything with Hijackthis make sure to run through Steps 1 and 2 here: Secure XP Guide completely. The following should be run in safe mode after they have been downloaded and updated in normal mode:

Adaware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Microsoft Antispyware
CWShredder
Sysclean

Only then use Hijackthis.

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 05:39:55 AM »
wait your friend sent you a link and now every time you log on it automatically sends everyone a link? doesnt that sound a little suspicious...?
a trick back like a month ago was that someone would impersonate as your friend's email and send you a link saying: "LOL LOOK AT HIM!"
and then you would click the link and would automatically download some virus onto your computer...

gee...
tim ;) ;D