Author Topic: weird notices from avast regarding my phone  (Read 3121 times)

Offline hubse20

weird notices from avast regarding my phone
« on: May 11, 2015, 11:56:28 PM »
hello

I have some weird messages from my avast install.

first, it tells me, that there is a software for my phone, which protects me from malware. avast grimefighter. so I expected that avast recognized when I hooked my phone up with my laptop, that there is an issue.

yet google tells me, that the apps "avast grimefighter cleaner" and "mobile security and antivirus" are compatible with my phone. the only problem is, the gmail-account in question is linked with a bluestacks android for windows (to run android apps on a pc), and yet there is no app for my phone (I searched the windows phone app store).

so, what is the problem, either there is a program for windows, as avast runs quite nice on my laptop with windows (not perfect, but nice).

those messages that there is an app available for MY phone (not mentioning android) pop up quite often, so I expect that they are true.

or aren't they true? or is there an infection trying to get me to install an app on my phone?

(by the way, do you realize, that your captcha consists of blue boxes with no letters inside? at least some times)

EDIT: in the case that there is no app for my phone, despite avast permanently offering an app, where can I turn this message off, or if that is caused by malware/adware, how do I remove it?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:07:45 AM by hubse20 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: weird notices from avast regarding my phone
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 01:41:54 PM »
There is avast mobile and avast anti-theft for phones (not all OS's)
You can only disable the offer pop-ups in paid versions of avast.

Offline hubse20

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »
okay, you don't have it for all OS, but if you advertise (in austria) that you have an app for my phone, you should have one for my phone (the ad did not specify any OS).

so for the search-term avast, I get an app "nautic terms" for 1,99€, and then several pirate games.

so which app is from avast (meaning you)?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »
okay, you don't have it for all OS
Ofcourse I don't have it. I am not a avast employee.
that you have an app for my phone
avast is not saying that. They say they do have a application for certain mobile phones.

Why searching and not looking at http://www.avast.com ?

Offline hubse20

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »
okay, I understand.

but why is avast anti virus actively advertising that they have an app for MY phone, when that is not true. and no, they don't write in the ad-window, that they have apps for certain phones, but use the phrase "Your Phone" without any extra note that it is restricted to one operating system.

and am I not on a server with the domain avast.com? or is there a cyrillic a hidden in that domain-name? just asking, because you say, that you are not avast (of course you are not a company).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:46:19 PM by hubse20 »