Author Topic: ERROR 80?  (Read 2481 times)

Keogge

ERROR 80?
« on: October 26, 2005, 06:25:36 AM »
Hello all,

I recieved a call from a fellow who said he can not update the Avast Anti-Virus and every time he does he gets a ERROR 80. Could this actually be because his firewall is blocking access through port 80 to the internet? I am going to look around a bit more and see it there is a posting I over looked but, if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated. He is an old fellow and is not very computer savy.

I think I maybe wasteing your time on this as I may have ansered my own question.  ???
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 08:25:49 AM by Keogge »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ERROR 80?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 02:46:38 PM »
You haven't stated what program initiates the error 80, avast when it displays errors there is usually more information. I also expect there would be more than simply error 80 in the message, so we need the full information to try and help fully.

What was he doing at the time of the error?
What firewall is your friend using?

avast periodically checks for updates, when you first connect to the internet and every 4 hours if you remain connected. If this fails you will get a warning but I believe it is different.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ERROR 80?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 03:52:32 AM »
Could this actually be because his firewall is blocking access through port 80 to the internet?
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable)

Hope this helps...
The best things in life are free.