Author Topic: Messed Up  (Read 69245 times)

CoJo

Re:Messed Up
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2003, 04:36:21 PM »
whoa!
my teachers have given their student much to study :)
please...no tests!!

I will research and study, though. There is so much to learn, but I like it.

Thanks!
CoJo

techie101

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2003, 01:57:50 AM »
Technical,

Hornus is now KING of the LONG POST !!!

I wasn't that bad....was I?  hahaha

techie

CoJo

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2003, 02:12:21 AM »
 ;D
...and I am still studying ;) so I don't mess up my computer :-*

Hornus? NO TESTS! all right??
this old bird needs more time with her glossary of terms in order to study ;D

Seriously, thank you for the information. You, techie, and especially Technical have helped me tremendously!
I will bake cookies for all of you ;)
CoJo

techie101

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2003, 02:17:49 AM »
Cojo,

Cookies...Yummie!
but you have to drop in a splash of the Southern Comfort!

Take Care of yourself,
I'll be here as will Technical and the rest of the gang if you need us.

techie  ;)

CoJo

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2003, 02:20:13 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D...that's the only way southern gals know how to make them!

I'll be posting soon in one of the forums about the trouble I am having with Outlook express...sigh...
CoJo

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2003, 03:21:33 AM »
what trouble?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2003, 05:02:05 AM »
Technical,

Yes, the user will lost any change after the restoration point. If the user can set a large 'backup' file (gobackio.bin), it will not be necessary to disable and reenable it from time to time.

I think you misunderstood my point there.  Consider this situation:

You enable GoBack.
    You install 5 applications over the next month.
    You roll back your system 2 weeks later because of a bad installation.

At this point you've lost all 5 of applications you wanted to keep.  If you had disabled and then reenabled GB, say, after installing 4 of them, you'd lose only the last one.

CoJo,

Just let me know about those cookies so I can re-enable them in my firewall.   ;D  I can guarantee no tests if you make chocolate chip cookies, with a splash of Creme de Cacao.  Ummmm!   8)

Here's a link to a pretty decent online dictionary.  Besides an English Dictionary, it includes a Computer Dictionary, Thesaurus, Dream Dictionary, and Medical Dictionary.

http://www.hyperdictionary.com

I'll deny using either of the last 2.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.   ;)

All,

None of the drive imaging applicatons can work totally within the Windows environment.

I didn't get this quite right.  What I should have said is that they cannot make an image of the System Disk, the one containing the operating system, without shutting down Windows.  Some (many? most? the best?) can image nonsystem disks completely within Windows.

OK, above and beyond what I just wrote, I read a review of Drive Image 7.0 in the December 2003 issue of Computer Shopper today, and the author states that this utility is the first to be able to image a system disk within the Windows environment, and that you can continue to use the drive while it does it.  This contradicts the statement in Maximum PC that DI requires a boot floppy or CD to read from/write to the boot disk.  This and the inabilty to reliably resize NTFS partitions were the reasons given for not choosing DI for their toolkit.

Regards,
Hornus

CoJo

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2003, 03:57:55 PM »
Mac, hello!
OE is being bad again. >:(   or I'm doing something wrong again >:(  the font I picked does not "stick", it's not erasing/deleting, etc,  I guess the settings I chose are not permanet...I didn't think I had to change them back everytime I opened it. And the screen "bleeds" through when I click off a message...
Nuts!! It works fine for a few days, then it starts over again. the only other mail client my ISP gives tech support on is Netscape, and when I tried that, none of my newsgroups or addies were imported(?) so I had to go back to OE.

Hornus, thanks for the info on the dictionary...I like all of them ;D ...I am a retired nurse so the medical one was ok, too :)
Special chocolate chip cookies will arrive for Christmas!
the rest of the post, I must study!

Peace to All,
CoJo

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2003, 09:47:15 PM »
font setting must me changed in options not in the email for them to be permanent :D as for the "bleending through I have that trouble too and dont know the cause anyone else know an awnser
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2003, 09:55:43 PM »
Anyway MacLover since you're already here and this thread is so bloated I'd also like to ask you a question: do you have any experience linking WinXP and MacOS X machines together? I.e. what do I need to do i I have one XP box, one MacOS box and one crossed ethernet cable, and want to put these things together?

Please gimme details - I'm a Mac novice (although I do something about XP already :))

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

CoJo

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2003, 10:19:58 PM »
Mac...that's just it...I set them in the options but they don't stay the way I set them. And the display of most messages has the top part of many words cut off...not just from one person, but from a variety of email friends. I am really disgusted with it!! >:(

Vlk, I am so sorry this thread got so bloated  :(
do you want me to start a different thread?

also, why would my avast! icons suddenly have a disabled mark on them as soon as I start to sign off? they never did that before.
CoJo

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2003, 10:27:37 PM »
this article explains in far more detail than i can ( and in beginner terms i mean REAL beginner terms)if this does not awnser your question scroll down and it has an related links section that might help. read it all it tells details on what OS i.e. OS X ond win 200, OS X and 98 etc.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19652

If you want the AppleShare IP 6 instructions i can give them as well

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2003, 10:29:27 PM »
cojo the disabled mark means the scanner is not active.
I think when you shut down windows is shutting down avast before itself

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2003, 10:30:21 PM »
CoJo,

The display problems may be a bad video driver, a hardware device conflict, or a problem with DirectX.

For the first, check Microsoft's, your PC manufacturer's, your PC motherboard manufacturer's, your video card manufacturer's, and/or your video card chipset manufacturer's web site for available updates.

For the second, open Device Manager (right-click on My Computer and select Properties from the Context Menu).  When the dialogue box appears click the Device Manager command button on the Hardware tab.  When the application window opens, select Devices by type on the View Menu.  Search the left-hand pane for Display adapters, expand it (click the '+' symbotl) and look for a warning (yellow) or error (red) icon.

For the last, you can run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.  Type dxdiag in the Run Box (click Start -> Run or simultaneously press the Windows Key and 'R').  When the application window opens, examine the DirectX Files and Display tabs and look for errors in the Notes section at the bottom of the windows.  On the Display tab you can also click the Test DirectDraw and Test Direct3D command buttons to test those features.  If you run the tests, don't have a heart attack when your monitor snaps and goes black during the tests.  It's just the software resetting the display mode for the tests.  It's possible that you need to install the latest version of DirectX (9.0b); there were issues with 9.0a.

Regards,
Hornus

CoJo

« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2003, 03:07:39 AM »
Hornus, thank you...again!
I did the testing and everything was all right but the Network tab...it had yellow warnings but I could not find how to fix it >:( I did go to the help center for diagnostics and it checked things for a long time then stuck at 99% formatting. It gave no other information i.e. reboot...so I don't know if anything was actually corrected.
Now my OE window doesn't fit the screen correctly...most of the bottom half is missing >:(   just the very bottom, though.
 I don't have the preview pane for security.

and I don't understand why Avast! would be closing before windows would and it never did it before...I have not changed anything. Boot scan and through scan show nothing...so, is it probably windows itself?

sorry for all the questions!! but thank you for all the suggestions...I really like the dictionary site. I'm looking up all the words/terms that I don't understand yet.

CoJo