Author Topic: Messed Up  (Read 69042 times)

bbfi

Re:Messed Up
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2003, 07:45:37 PM »
Cojo,

Now my OE window doesn't fit the screen correctly...most of the bottom half is missing   just the very bottom, though.
I don't have the preview pane for security.

This might be a stupid question to ask, but can you move your OE window around the screen by clicking at the top and dragging it?  If so, you can change the size by going to the top and when the cursor changes to a double arrow up and down, drag it down the screen (maybe half way or so).  Now click on the top of the OE window and drag the whole window up until the whole window can be seen.  I could be wrong with this suggestion and maybe you already tried it, but it's worth a try here anyway.   ;)

and I don't understand why Avast! would be closing before windows would and it never did it before...I have not changed anything. Boot scan and through scan show nothing...so, is it probably windows itself?

If I am not mistaken, I believe that this started to happen on my computer when version 4.1 was released.  In previous versions, shutting down Windows took a long time and according to posts at this forum, it was due to Avast taking its time in shutting down.  When version 4.1 was released, I also noticed the Avast icon changing when shutting down, but the shut down time was decreased quite a bit.   :D

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2003, 06:41:07 PM »
CoJo,

About Your OE Window Size Problem:

I assume what you're describing is a window that's too big to fit on the screen.  I've seen this before; it plagued me over a 3-month period.  When it first started, overcoming it was easier, and it didn't happen often, perhaps once every other week.  As time went on it happened more frequently, sometimes as often as 3-4 times a day, and it got harder to correct.  Eventually it stopped on its own.  It occurred one more time after that, about 6 months later, then never happened again.  It normally occurred in the same application but not always, and I'm afraid I don't remember which one.

The computer was running either Windows NT or Windows 98SE. (I can't remember whether it happened on my desktop or my laptop.)  IIRC, and it's hard because it was at least 2 1/2 years ago, at first minimizing/maximizing/restoring the window corrected it.  Then that stopped having any effect, and I had to close and restart the application.  Occasionally, the only way to deal with it was to shutdown and reboot.

Does it happen to any application besides OE?

About Your Color Bleeding Problem:

Did you recently change any display adaptor or monitor settings like resolution, color depth, refresh rate, DPI, hardware acceleration?

About Your Corrupted Font Problem:

Do the messages that don't display correctly all come from the same people, or is the effect random?

If you receive one new message from a particular person that displays incorrectly, are all the following messages displayed incorrectly?  Do that person's older messages still display properly.

If you forward one of the bad messages to someone else, can it be viewed properly?  If that person then forwards it back to you, can you view it properly?

Does this happen with a specific font or set of fonts, or is it across the board?

Are you viewing your mail in HTML format or plain text format?

When you changed the font setting in OE, did you change any encoding settings?

Did you recently change any appearance settings like normal vs. large vs extra large font size, any effects like font smoothing or advanced settings changes?

About Your Changing Font Problem:

Do you use a lot of different fonts, I mean some huge number like 20 or 30?  The reason I ask is that Windows tries to load the fonts you use most often when it starts, to improve application performance.  At least it did at one time.  Limiting the number of fonts one used was one recommendation to increase system performance, by reducing the OS's memory footprint and hence and lower the amount of page swapping.  I wonder if there's a limit to the number of fonts Windows will keep resident at one time and what happens if it is exceeded?

Did these problems all show up at the same time, one right after the other, or some other pattern you've noticed?  Does starting Windows in Safe Mode have any impact?

Regards,
Hornus

CoJo

« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2003, 08:30:42 PM »
hello, my favorite Hornus :)

the OE window size resolved itself...I got mad and shut it down and when I logged on again, it was fine.
and I had not done anything before--as far as changing anything--or after...'twas magic, I guess.

the color bleeding...it happens randomly and I hate it...makes me think my computer is going kaput!

email...this is random, also! I use one font and plain text.

this is why I don't like OE...it's a little brother to the Big Bill who can't get his OS and security right...sorry, am not a fan of Gates
anyway, OE hasn't worked right from the time I got this dell from hell back in April...
come to think of it...the computer hasn't lived up to my expectations at all...at one point, tech support was trying to help me and I needed to use the set up disk and when I did, Norton flashed up that a malicious script had been detected...when I told the tech, he had me remove the disk and we fixed the problem in safe mode(?)...
dark screen with writing in white and he had me modifying a whole bunch of stuff with different prompts.

cojo

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2003, 02:04:21 AM »
cojo try the Mozilla email client from http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

CoJo

« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2003, 01:56:50 PM »
thank you, Mac...I'll check it after we have Thanksgiving dinner :)

cojo

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2003, 10:18:35 AM »
CoJo,

Have you resolved your color bleeding and font problems?  This quote is from an article at http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-004.

In fact, most visual problems (flicker, mouse cursor problems, and even errant font behavior) can be attributed to buggy video drivers.

Other than to check for updated drivers, I have these suggestions:

1)  Check your display settings.  If your monitor doesn't support the display mode you have configured, this can cause problems like some of those you've experienced.  Verify that the resolution and refresh rate are supported by your monitor.  Resolutions and refresh rates of 800 x 600 at 75 Hz. or lower and 1024 x 768 at 72 Hz. or lower are usually acceptible for 17" CRT monitors.  19" CRT monitors can handle higher settings, 15" monitor's lower.  Generally speaking, the higher the resolution, the lower the maximum refresh rate you can use.  Check your manual for recommendations and maximum settings.

Contrary to the common advice to use the highest refresh rate supported by your display adapter and monitor, you should use the lowest setting that eliminates flicker, which causes eye strain.  A high refresh rate is only important for those who need the maximum performance -- high frame rates -- from their video card, e.g. those playing demanding games.  (If you don't know whether you fit in this category, then the odds are 1000:1 that you aren't.)  Setting the refresh rate higher than you need, which  requires more bandwidth from your monitor, can result in a loss of focus, i.e., a slightly fuzzy display.

2)  Do you leave your monitor on for long periods, say a week or more?  If so, you may need to degauss your screen.  This happens automatically when you turn on most (many, better ?) modern monitors -- that's the buzzing sound you hear), but if you leave it on continuously, residual magnetism builds up around the tube and its coils, eventually creating visual distortions.  This can result from your monitor's interaction with the Earth's magnet field and other sources like unshielded speakers or a motor from a nearby appliance -- like the air conditioner sitting in the window behind your desk.  (You didn't think I could see that did you?   ;) )  Look for a degaussing button on your monitor's front bezel, or check its OSD (On Screen Display) menu for a control.  It's only necessary to press the button or active the on-screen control once; repeated use provides no benefit.  If your monitor doesn't have a degaussing feature, just cycle its power off and on once in a while.

Neither of these are an issue if you're using an LCD flat panel display.

Regards,
Hornus

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2003, 12:52:21 AM »
how is thunderbird? It has no installer all you do is create a folder and extract all the files to it and double click on the main app and it loads
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 12:52:40 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay