Author Topic: Anybody had dealings?  (Read 13706 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Anybody had dealings?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 05:37:33 AM »
They need to make the free version a standalone application. I don't like the fact that it installs the realtime monitoring services but then they stop working after 14 days when you just want the scanner.
Yeah... I feel the same.
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 10:15:32 AM »
Mastertech, if you ever bothered actually to help people on the forum instead of coming here to push your own (in this case contentious) opinions, you would notice that Ewido does remove things that avast! cannot. It is particularly good at removing processes injecting Trojans. Search the forum if you don't believe me.

I also clean infected computers and always find that Sysclean misses some malware, as does avast! and indeed almost any AV. In the end it's usually necessary to kill a few with HijackThis!

As to the trial version having the realtime detection feature, that's because Ewido wants people to buy the product. It is their right to try to sell their product. People can evaluate it and buy it if they want.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 11:54:47 AM »
so far I have not found it detecting anything worth recommending it.

I've just found that AV and Sysclean find the same things.

For example:

Another interesting thing I just found.  I decided to take a look @ my hidden files in C drive, there was a few that I thought looked suspicious, so I did a scan of the with ewido about 10 came up as trojans.  I scanned the same files with Avast, 1/2 of them were detected.

Here's there file name's
tb.exe
zdrivers.exe
zxvcc73x.exe
ielower.exe
mmxateam.exe
xe.xe
low.exe

Only zdrivers.exe & zxvcc73x.exe were detected by AVAST.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17117.from1130492640;topicseen#msg145719

Ewido managed to remove the malware attached to the winlogon.exe file, and a subsequent boot time scan by avast detected no malware, which is excellent!

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=16890.15

Mastertech

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 01:18:55 PM »
Frank, I don't speak in riddles, I am extensively testing Ewido and it is not finding anything the other scanners did not. I do occasionally find one that has to be manually removed and you don't have to use Hijackthis, you can use Autoruns it does the same thing = deletes the malwares startup location. Neither cleans anything.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 03:57:52 PM »
Ah, I understand now. We actually exist in different universes, you and I. My apologies! We must have been talking over some dimensional crossed line. In your universe, Ewido doesn't find anything, in mine it does.

Simple!

Ewido=MC2 ;D

Mastertech

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 04:18:35 PM »
Find anything that the other scanners I mention do not. It is not complicated. Run no other scanners Ewido will find plenty of things but not everything.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 04:41:08 PM by Mastertech »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 07:04:55 PM »
Look at the postings: Ewido finds stuff avast! has missed. Can't you see into this universe? No, it's not complicated: click the link.

Mastertech

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2005, 01:54:28 AM »
 ::) Ewido finds stuff that Sysclean, Avast, Microsoft Antispyware, Adaware and Spybot miss? See the problem is Ewido misses things they find but they find the same things Ewido does.

Again Ewido is a reputable program but as I continue to test it, it does not find anything that the other scanners miss. Maybe this will change as I will continue to test it due to all the hype it gets in anti-malware forums. I have tested all the well known Anti-Trojan programs but again they never found anything that the other scanners I run did not. Which is why I do not recommend it. Like I said running it however will not hurt anything.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 03:52:53 AM by Mastertech »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2005, 10:43:00 AM »
Mastertech, I have given you links to two threads where Ewido has found things that avast! has missed. There are more. I am beginning to see that you have a deep psychological problem with not having the last word in any thread. So the space below is waiting for your next pointless reply. Please use it and have the last word. I shall not reply again because it is an exercise in futility.

Mastertech

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2005, 01:51:07 AM »
Yes I understand that but I am not talking about Avast vs. Ewido. Rather Avast, Sysclean, Spybot, MS Antispyware and Adaware vs. Ewido.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2005, 02:56:56 AM »
By the time ewido gets a look in after all those I would hope that it wouldn't pick up anything.

Surely a way to test ewido would be to run that first and see what the others pick up after it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mastertech

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2005, 02:04:04 AM »
Surely a way to test ewido would be to run that first and see what the others pick up after it.
It would find quite a bit if it was infected. This is my point.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2005, 09:11:12 AM »
By the time ewido gets a look in after all those I would hope that it wouldn't pick up anything.

I know I promised I wouldn't but, I just can resist banging my head against a brick wall, but here's a thread where we threw everything including the kitchen sink at a system and Ewido still found stuff at the end of the process:

I highly recommend spyware doctor to anyone, it has a lot of different uses & is very handy.  I also am planning to purchase Ewido. it picked up some stuff the other scanners did not...very impressed.  I think I got about all of the crap out of my computer.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17117.0

Mastertech

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2005, 09:53:21 AM »
I doubt it was everything. My tests say otherwise. Sysclean's pattern is updated daily, far more frequently then Ewido and Sysclean is even more effective if you use the control pattern. Ewido finds left over registry keys to nonexistent malware and it found items in the Microsoft AntiSpyware quarantine folder. It found another false positive the other day. I suspect these entries are being falsely flagged as infections. Ewido is very poor at alerting the user to a true infection. Anything it finds from cookies to other nonsense gives an alert as if your system has been taken over.

Frank, I clean people's systems for a living. I get paid to do it and I never pay for any software to do the cleaning. But feel free waste your money.