Author Topic: Expensive Renewal  (Read 1978 times)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
Expensive Renewal
« on: March 09, 2017, 02:17:23 PM »
I have been a long term user of Avast, and when i say long i mean over 10yrs. For a good few of those past years i have been paying a subscription service for Avast Internet Security and for the most part have been very happy with it. Well, that is until the last couple of years when renewal came up and i wasn't happy that they are charging close to £40.

Why so much when others are much cheaper? Why so much when i'm sorry to say there are better AVs out there that are scoring higher in lab test results against Malware? Now, this is in no way me rubbishing Avast, because i always thought and still do think it is a great AV, but as of yesterday i have gone over to Bitdefender as you get more for your money and it has been scoring higher against Malware detection than Avast currently does. With this in mind allow me to tell you of the differences i have noticed straight away...

1. Wow was Avast a resource drain! Having used Avast on my PC and Android i can tell you BOTH now run faster now i've installed Avast. Programs on my PC are opening in a second as opposed to 7-8 seconds when i was using Avast. If i were to ever to return to Avast there are two settings i would immediately turn off and they are Scan for PUPs on the protection modules and possibly even code emulation. You really do not understand the impact of having those on is having on your system.

2. Picks up network vulnerabilities that Avast never did.

So far that's it and i am happy with Bitdefender. Avast it's been good, but i have had to say goodbye to your high renewal cost and annoying advertising. Again i do not wish this to become a 'moan about Avast' but as a long term faithful user i feel i have a right to air my opinion on this. Avast is really not what it used to be and instead appears to have come about heavy advertising to get you to constantly upgrade.

On the other hand what i will miss from Avast is this forum. I do like the community feel when you / someone has a problem and we all try to help out and fix. That's a real nice touch. Anyway, you never know i may well be back, but until then it's been great.
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Expensive Renewal
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »
PUP scanning is by default disabled in avast (legal reasons), so there is no need to turn if off.

In the paid versions there is no advertising unless you keep it enabled.

The av tests only test with samples, not with real time threads, zero day exploits and such.
They don't tell a thing about the real protection that a av is offering.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 02:33:43 PM »
Ajaj, we are sorry to see you go ;-(
We are continuously trying to lower our resource impact to minimum, so maybe we will welcome you back in the family in future ;-)

btw. which network vulnerabilities Bitdefender found?

Thanks
Martin

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »
You were using the paid version so you were able to disable the ads.

I still don't know why they don't disable the ads by default for paid users or ask during installation...
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •