Author Topic: what to do with viruses once in chest?  (Read 2502 times)

geona

what to do with viruses once in chest?
« on: November 13, 2005, 07:07:36 PM »
Hi,
Could be false positive, but avast! had me quarantine a screensaver I´d just downloaded called "Hurricane_1_0", identifying it as the worm "Win32:Trojan-gen". Should I delete it? Leave it in the chest? Thnaks.
Geona

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: what to do with viruses once in chest?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 07:37:08 PM »
Leave the file in the avast Chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. You should leave it there for a week or two to ensure no harmful effects of having moved it. If there are no harmful effects, then scan it again if that scan also confirms it as infected you can delete it from within the chest.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.
Or VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner

If a FP, you can send it to avast from the chest. Restore it to its original location and exclude it from future scans, checking periodically to see if avast doesn't detect it then you can remove the exclusion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security