Author Topic: Anti-spyware- Comparative test  (Read 32354 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Anti-spyware- Comparative test
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »
Hi FwF,

Spywarw terminator is just trying to get a green bill, there are still some anti-malware sites that advise against it. So that can be why?.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

drhayden1

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 07:13:39 PM »
hey polonus..i had spyware terminator on my computer for a while-but i took it off after it was reporting "TOO" may false positives ::)

Mastertech

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 05:11:22 AM »
Why would anyone recommend an antispyware program that once distributed adware? ???

http://www.websearch.com/pr/pr_release.aspx

Although WebSearch Toolbar is not spyware, adware or malware it did facilitate a program that displays popup/popunder ads.
They must be kidding.

Everyone has three very good programs to choose from for free: Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy and Windows Defender.

drhayden1

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 05:14:43 AM »
hey mastertech....and don't forget about spyware blaster
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 05:17:26 AM by drhayden1 »

neal62

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 06:18:35 AM »
Why would anyone recommend an antispyware program that once distributed adware? ???

http://www.websearch.com/pr/pr_release.aspx

Although WebSearch Toolbar is not spyware, adware or malware it did facilitate a program that displays popup/popunder ads.
They must be kidding.

Everyone has three very good programs to choose from for free: Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy and Windows Defender.

Amazing, the above websearch link posted by this fella isn't available.Tried I.E. 6, Firefox, Latest version. Flock, latest version, Sea Monkey, latest version, Opera, latest version, no go. Wonder why a link is posted when it's not accessible? I tried this at 23:19 CDT.

galooma

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 06:27:40 AM »
worked ok for me , maybe its sitting in a immunise list or something which wont let it load.

Mastertech

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 08:02:15 AM »
Quote from: drhayden1
hey mastertech....and don't forget about spyware blaster
Ah yes of course. ;)

worked ok for me , maybe its sitting in a immunise list or something which wont let it load.
Or maybe a Host file? Heh. ;D

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 11:45:08 AM »
hey polonus..i had spyware terminator on my computer for a while-but i took it off after it was reporting "TOO" may false positives ::)
Why do you say that are FP?

Because the results under the Unknown Software?
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Mastertech

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 01:34:34 PM »
Why are you guys pushing an AntiSpyware Application from a company that used to install Adware but claims it wasn't because it only gave you unwanted popups! ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 01:46:34 PM »
Why are you guys pushing an AntiSpyware Application from a company that used to install Adware but claims it wasn't because it only gave you unwanted popups! ;D
Which application are you talking about?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Mastertech

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 02:02:52 PM »
Spyware Terminator.

drhayden1

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 02:06:18 PM »
IBIS, LLC, a leading provider of Internet products and services, announces that it is discontinuing distribution of its flagship product, WebSearch Toolbar. Amid concerns that WebSearch is being labeled as spyware, the company initiated action to rectify controversial aspects of the product in order to refute spyware claims.

WebSearch Toolbar is a free Internet Explorer plug-in allowing users to search the web using a search box and includes a variety of other customizable functions. Although WebSearch Toolbar is not spyware, adware or malware it did facilitate a program that displays popup/popunder ads. Additionally, WebSearch may have been unknowingly installed onto users’ systems through drives by software distributors. IBIS has ceased all distribution partnerships of WebSearch Toolbar.

IBIS’s new Crawler™ Toolbar is web search and navigation software that is offered at no cost to the end user and works within Internet Explorer. Crawler Toolbar was developed to meet and exceed the highest industry standards and user expectations. The highly customizable product provides added functionality to the user's desktop and enhances the entertainment value of his online experience.

The company’s new Spyware Terminator™ eradicates spyware and adware from users’ computers. IBIS has substantially invested into the development of a high-end product that is offered at no cost to consumers and even includes free real-time protection.

The actions which IBIS has taken to eliminate these issues include:

* Removing WinTools, a popup/popunder program, from the software bundle
    * Ceasing ActiveX distribution
    * Ceasing distribution through partners
    * Redesigning the toolbar to meet all requirements on downloadable applications
    * Shifting the company focus to new Crawler™ products including Spyware Terminator™

++++hey tech....mastertech could be talkng about the above-probably is spyware terminator--as i stated in my above post...took it off after toooooooooooo many false positives++++

++++and mastertech...when i mentioned spyware blaster in my above post...i forgot to mention winpatrol(can't do without scotty the dog) :P+++++

what is he doing below ::)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 02:11:20 PM by drhayden1 »

Mastertech

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 02:32:20 PM »
Yes that is what I was refering too. The text you posted drhayden1 is from the link I posted and refers to Spyware Terminator in the text.

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 03:07:26 PM »
Why don't you read before you say that things?
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm

If a guy was arested, he will always be a criminal?
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

drhayden1

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 03:32:40 PM »
thanks for the info.VaMPiRiC_CRoW ::)

got my opinions about a few things different now :o

have a good one avast! world :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 03:34:22 PM by drhayden1 »