Author Topic: Anti-spyware- Comparative test  (Read 32368 times)

Mastertech

Re: Anti-spyware- Comparative test
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 03:59:25 PM »
If a guy was arested, he will always be a criminal?
If a guy was a bank robber would you make him the manager of a bank? That is a stupid argument.  ::) I am sorry but I find this very disturbing that people on an AntiVirus forum are recommending Antispyware programs from a company that used to distribute adware. How is anyone supposed to take you seriously?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:02:24 PM by Mastertech »

drhayden1

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 04:27:48 PM »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW thanks for the link below....that cleared up the whole thing in a nutshell?????
we have decided to de-list Spyware Terminator from the Rogue/Suspect list and can no longer regard the program to be "rogue/suspect."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 01:44:40 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 05:50:17 PM »
How is anyone supposed to take you seriously?

Me!?

You should take seriously professionals on this area, and the authors of the site that I give are more than respected...
Other things are about my experience and how I think that software should be...

You and everyone have the right to like them or not, so... ;)

Spyware Terminator from the Rogue/Suspect list and can no longer regard the program to be "rogu
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
Spyware Terminator.
Can you post just one proof that NOW it's working as a spyware?

If so, scan a computer that has Spyware Terminator installed. If it is REALLY a spyware tool, WHY do these following applications does not detect ANY spyware activity of it?
Ewido
SpyBot
A-squared
Lavasoft Ad-aware
Webroot
Super Antispyware
Advanced WindowsCare

AVG
avast
ClamWin
F-Prot
DrWeb

Ok... all these programs are made by silly people that don't know what they're doing...
Besides this, VaMPiRiC_CRoW is fully right when he says the Rogue/Suspect list are made by experts.
Some people want to be more popist than the pope himself, judge harder to show how much they know...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2006, 10:25:17 PM »
Been trying out Spyware Terminator for a while now and i don't see any evidence of any foul play from the program ... As far as i can see the program does what it's suppose to do very well and best of all it's free. So the company that makes it made adware programs before what do i care? As long as they're not doing the same stuff now and the program does what it's suppose to i'm going to use it.

neal62

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2006, 10:27:29 PM »
drhayden1, thanks for the information about websearch. Now I know why post #17 in this thread had a link posted by its author that didn't work with any of my browsers. This clears up the matter for me. Thanks again.  :)

neal62

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2006, 10:29:43 PM »
Tech, here in the area where I live whenever a person wants to brag about themselves and there abilities, we call it "beating your own drum". Thought I would mention this. Have a nice day.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2006, 10:32:21 PM »
Now I know why post #17 in this thread had a link posted by its author that didn't work with any of my browsers. This clears up the matter for me. Thanks again.  :)
Most probably some filter is avoiding you to see the page...
Below the text version of it.

Code: [Select]
News | Shopping | Games | Skins | Screensavers
Personalize this site - it's free! Sign up now!

PRESS RELEASE
IBIS Discontinues Distribution of Controversial WebSearch™ Toolbar

Announcement marks initiation of company's new business model.

Boca Raton, FL, December 15, 2005 - IBIS, LLC, a leading provider of Internet products and services, announces that it is discontinuing distribution of its flagship product, WebSearch Toolbar. Amid concerns that WebSearch is being labeled as spyware, the company initiated action to rectify controversial aspects of the product in order to refute spyware claims.

WebSearch Toolbar is a free Internet Explorer plug-in allowing users to search the web using a search box and includes a variety of other customizable functions. Although WebSearch Toolbar is not spyware, adware or malware it did facilitate a program that displays popup/popunder ads. Additionally, WebSearch may have been unknowingly installed onto users’ systems through drives by software distributors. IBIS has ceased all distribution partnerships of WebSearch Toolbar.

IBIS’s new Crawler™ Toolbar is web search and navigation software that is offered at no cost to the end user and works within Internet Explorer. Crawler Toolbar was developed to meet and exceed the highest industry standards and user expectations. The highly customizable product provides added functionality to the user's desktop and enhances the entertainment value of his online experience.

The company’s new Spyware Terminator™ eradicates spyware and adware from users’ computers. IBIS has substantially invested into the development of a high-end product that is offered at no cost to consumers and even includes free real-time protection.

The actions which IBIS has taken to eliminate these issues include:

Removing WinTools, a popup/popunder program, from the software bundle
Ceasing ActiveX distribution
Ceasing distribution through partners
Redesigning the toolbar to meet all requirements on downloadable applications
Shifting the company focus to new Crawler™ products including Spyware Terminator™
Both Crawler Toolbar and Spyware Terminator are available at download.com.

New Business Model:
IBIS has traditionally developed new revenue channels for online advertisers, allowing them to market their wares directly to consumers’ desktops. While IBIS once used brilliant technology to thrive in this arena, the company has since revised its business model and reversed its focus.

Using the wealth of knowledge attained in creating its former products, IBIS now offers consumers the benefits gained over years of research and implementation. The premier Crawler products (www.crawler.com) including Spyware Terminator (www.spywareterminator.com) are exemplars of this new business model.

About IBIS, LLC:
As a pioneering innovator in the rapidly evolving Web Search and Online Directory services market, IBIS products are highly ranked by the industry and users alike. IBIS develops free applications that are offered to consumers, enabling them to maximize their Web surfing experience quickly, easily and safely. IBIS also forms strategic distribution partnerships with its co-branded and private-label solutions.

Leonora Maya,
561-989-7400

###

Note to editors: Crawler, Spyware Terminator, WebSearch and other company or product names mentioned herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.

About Us | About Results | Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | WebSearch News
Phrase Directory | Submit Your Site | Advertise Here | Help & Tips | Add Search to Your Website

© 2006 WebSearch.com. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All Rights Reserved.

neal62

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2006, 10:38:15 PM »
Thanks for the article tech. Even with my firewall turned off I cannot view that link. Maybe something is being as you say filtered possibly at my ISP source? Appreciate it.

Checked with my ISP tech support. They COULDN'T access the websearch site either. Oh well, not a problem but a curious situation.  :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:57:43 PM by neal63 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2006, 11:05:23 PM »
Thanks for the article tech. Even with my firewall turned off I cannot view that link. Maybe something is being as you say filtered possibly at my ISP source? Appreciate it.
I mean a local filter of you... somethink like IESpyAD, PeerGuardian, or, like you can see, K9.
By the way, the article says that SpywareTerminator is a good application  ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2006, 11:58:13 PM »
Hi posters in this thread,

What is it to be? Is spyware terminator out of "purgatorium"? By the reactions of others I thought it was to be declared to stay in software hell, banned and doomed. Some I read here want it released from the "in between"status.
SpywareGuide states on looking for spyware terminator:
0 Results for your search:

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Mastertech

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2006, 02:43:28 AM »
The point is not what it does now but the companies history. I will never use an application that once installed adware but now claims to clean it. Anyone who does is not only naive but a fool. There are plenty of reputable companies out their who have never engaged in questionable behavior. I wonder how many of those recommending Spyware Terminator would be using this if this was a Microsoft product and they had done the same thing. ::)

I expect this nonsense on other forums but not an AV forum.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2006, 04:03:47 AM »
There are plenty of reputable companies out their who have never engaged in questionable behavior.
And we respect and recommend them too...

I expect this nonsense on other forums but not an AV forum.
You seem to be an arrogant. But in fact I'm seeing you as a fool  ;D

I will never use an application that once installed adware but now claims to clean it.
You ARE using Windows from Microsoft that INDEED used Alexa. A known spyware. But how can you know everything...  ???

Anyone who does is not only naive but a fool.
Welcome  8)

I wonder how many of those recommending Spyware Terminator would be using this if this was a Microsoft product and they had done the same thing. ::)

How long do you work with computers?  ::)

If you have ever run adaware on a fresh install of windows xp it will detect Alexa. Apparently this is installed as part of media player.
Alexa was an enterprise with bad 'habits' of spyware and against privacy.
Both Ad-Aware from Lavasoft and Spybot S&D detected them into a clean Windows installation.
The spyware name was Alexa Related.
Alexa Related was *strangely* removed from Windows XP SP2. Microsoft removed the *function* due to a Internet Explorer bug...
Ok, do you believe in Santa Claus?  :) ;)

Alexa instals a Toolbar integrated into Internet Explorer and colects some info about the system.
Besides this, was a normal and legit software that could be easily removed by Control Panel Add/Remove Programs.

Alexa Related (the file RELATED.HTM) was used by Internet Explorer when the option Show Related Links was choosen.
The browser will make a search in Alexa website and, hu hu hu, the complet URL would be *transmited* to Alexa Company.
Alexa used to create a log of the searches made by an user, creating his profile and browser habits...
Spyware... if you are following me until this poing...

Worse than that... Microsoft assumed that Internet Explorer (due to a *bug*) sent this page to Alexa *again* if the refresh buttom was clicked, even if you have closed the window of the search before... This happens EVEN with secure sites that use SSL and HTTPS...
Well, as you know a lot, you're following me that it allows confidential info to be sent, like passwords or sessions ID.
It was proved that this info was sent BOTH to Alexa AND MSN servers...  :o

For a long time, Alexa policy was to colect this info in online forms. The privacy policy said that the toolbar “does not collect the info specifically”, but did not say what were done with the already collected info and IF this info was colected.

LOOK...
Microsoft never admits the bug but just *remove* the option from Internet Explorer in Windows XP Service Pack 2.
The bug was never patched...

HijackThis shows the following lines:
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra ‘Tools’ menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

Well... let's stop... Just want to say to the *other* users forums that I never asked for myself the title of being Spyware Terminator fan boy or never claimed to be the most smat guy in the Earth...
Let's sleep, it's late to be playing and joking  ;D

drhayden1

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2006, 04:26:07 AM »
ok....now my 5 cents worth and it will be short...i like posting on this forum and have made some good friends on here and all of a sudden i feel like i'm back in grade school seeing a bunch of kids fighting over something not really important...there are more important things in this world than a DAM spyware program...good or bad...WHO CARES AT THIS POINT.....I FOR ONE AM SICK OF IT AT THIS POINT AS I AM SURE A FEW OF YOU ARE...LETS ALL ACT OUR AGE and respect each others opinions and help on the forum....thats what i thought this was-avast!forum to help people not to argue......ok..... 8)

have a good one everyone :o
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 04:31:46 AM by drhayden1 »

mauserme

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2006, 04:37:21 AM »
I will never use an application that once installed adware but now claims to clean it. Anyone who does is not only naive but a fool.
Every explorer that ever took a step in a new direction has heard the same.

Those with a bit of fortitude and an open mind will chart the course for others to follow while the timid stay home.