Author Topic: Warnings  (Read 1815 times)

REDACTED

Warnings
« on: May 14, 2015, 12:22:28 PM »
I have been using and recommending Avast for a number of years. I am however in the belief that the product is becoming bloated just like Norton and Macafee. I am constantly being asked to enhance my security with items I do not need! Yesterday it informed me that my modem password was weak and insecure, warning me that I was open to malicious hacking etc.
My modem is supplied by a company in France that caters to expats and some French. The password is factory set and cannot be changed. I was then informed by Avast that it had in fact been Hijacked ?? What a load of rubbish!
If this garbage continues I shall go elseware. I pay for this service and do not need frightening warnings shoved down my throat.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Warnings
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 04:57:06 PM »

If so then that was a vps update. You are not the first nor will you be the last to complain
about those pop-ups. And they don't go away until you "x" out of them.

Personally I wish avast would go back to "data base has been updated" and get rid of the rest.
An occasional ad or "advice" is fine, there's just too much of them. I can understand the need for some
ads because their employees need to get paid and the investors want to see a profit. But enough is enough.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Warnings
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:22:40 PM »
mikethemonk, can you please post a screenshot of the message you're getting? The router scanner usually doesn't have any false positives. If it says the router password is very weak (which typically means the default one), it is probably exactly that. The product can actually show you what it is - and irrespective of whether you like it or not, this means a security problem.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.